Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Specializations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted in the character specific area but it seem as if those forums are a little dead...
So I'll create a new thread (probably to the disdain of most folks)

What specialization do you recommend for each character and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot depends on playstyle and what other characters (if any) are in the group.

There are a couple of characters though where I can only imagine one choice -
Seoni Celestial Sorceror, since the only major difference on Abyssal requires banishing an ally for the power, which is unlikely to be used I think.
Lem Virtuoso, because being able to help yourself on any check by recharging a card overpowers every other power available for Lem in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb K.
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medwards wrote:
I think a lot depends on playstyle and what other characters (if any) are in the group.

There are a couple of characters though where I can only imagine one choice -
Seoni Celestial Sorceror, since the only major difference on Abyssal requires banishing an ally for the power, which is unlikely to be used I think.

I will also add Abyssal Sorcerer can reduce 3 types of damage: fire, acid, & cold. Whereas Celestial only can reduce 2: fire & electricity. Would be interesting to know how often those damage types will be encountered in adventures 4, 5, & 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts on harsk?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing Medwards' thought: it kind of depends on who else is in the group. If Lini is hanging around competing for animal allies as a Wild Warden, then Harsk might not want to choose a Tracker, which has an animal ally benefit. However, if Lini is a Shapeshifter, and is better at acquiring those beasties, then Harsk might want to also be a Tracker.

All else being equal, I suppose I'd prefer the Sniper role, but I believe that is largely a matter of personal taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
In our two player games I have no idea why I would ever want Valeros to be a Guardian. The Guardian reduces damage he takes from undefeated enemies, the Weapon Master simply defeats them. No contest in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my group is

ezern
Valeros
Mieserel
Krya
Harsk (me)

(spelling?)

Caltaer what are your reasons for sniper over tracker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosch wrote:
In our two player games I have no idea why I would ever want Valeros to be a Guardian. The Guardian reduces damage he takes from undefeated enemies, the Weapon Master simply defeats them. No contest in my mind.

The Guardian reduces combat damage *other* people at his location take. I'd never take Guardian, but someone who stays grouped together ~might~ like it.
Plus maybe there is some awesome armor coming up that you can recharge instead of discard (no, the spiked shield doesn't really qualify...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike did say there were other recharge armors. And I think Guardian has two other advantages:

1. I think you are going to see your characters being more grouped, though not necessarily by choice. Check out the Harpy from adventure 4.

2. Combat damage isn't always the result of failing a combat check. That power would help with the Scout for example.

I'm Valeros in multiple groups. One of those has Harsk and Merisiel, so I'm thinking of taking Guardian in that group. I took Weapon Master already in the another group.

Weapon Master's upgrade of recharge to shuffle is pretty awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
I agree that the guardian gets stronger the more heroes there are, but I still think that for all around utility and general usefulness, the weapon master is the way to go. If I walked around with Mr. and Mrs. Arcane-o-blast in tow, I might think differently, but in our two player game with a fighter and a cleric, no question.

What also bothers me about the guardian is that his hand size can be larger, making him potentially MORE vulnerable to damage. Of course this does give him more options...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mont
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
As for Ezren:

It seems like Evoker is a no brainer. With one power feat you can give him +2 to EVERY ARCANE CHECK HE MAKES. That includes combat checks, recharge checks, and checks to acquire spells. With more power feats you can make sure he always has a particular attack trait, which helps a lot on the troll monsters in adventure pack 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex319 wrote:
As for Ezren:

It seems like Evoker is a no brainer. With one power feat you can give him +2 to EVERY ARCANE CHECK HE MAKES. That includes combat checks, recharge checks, and checks to acquire spells. With more power feats you can make sure he always has a particular attack trait, which helps a lot on the troll monsters in adventure pack 4.

I think you've perhaps misunderstood that power on Ezren's Evoker role.

Ezren's Evoker role wrote:
Add 2 to your Arcane check with the Force ([] or Acid and Cold) ([] or Electricity and Fire) trait(s).

That means if his Arcane check has the Force trait, he can add 2 to it. So far, through deck 4, I believe that would only apply to Force Missile and Wand of Force Missile.

Later he can make it so those other traits get the same +2.

This was clarified here:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2q8um?Leveling-Up-Ezren-Advice#3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually chose Illusionist for Ezren. It was tough call though. I actually started to go with Evoker. Got the card out and everything. Then changed my mind.

The Illusionist power to place an evaded monster on the bottom of the deck is the practical equivalent of auto-defeat because you are likely placing it behind the villain/henchman, so it will probably be banished when you close the location after defeating the villain/henchman.

I also liked the +2 to acquiring allies and the recharge upgrade to his draw power. The recharge upgrade will be useful if you pick up spells for exploring that you don't actually want to play or if you have a spell that might be situational, like Teleport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mont
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Yeah, I thought that power was really good. But it does seem weird, though, because (I would assume) every other place in the game that uses the template "add X with the Y trait" means add X to the check and add the Y trait, not "add X to the check only if it has the Y trait".

For instance, in the example in the rule book (the newest version on the PDF on the Paizo site) on page 12, the example is of Kyra using her power "add 1d8 with the magic trait" and this is stated to mean add 1d8, and add the Magic trait to the check. Similarly, the power on something like Flaming Mace +1, "you may additionally discard this card to add another 1d4 with the Fire trait" - if it really meant "add another 1d4 only if the check has the Fire trait from another source" it would be almost useless.

This should definitely be submitted as something that should be in the FAQ/errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The difference is subtle, but its the placing the words "to your check" preceding the trait.

Add 2 with the Force trait to your check.
Add 2 to your check with the Force trait.

The first one gives you both 2 and the force trait, the second gives you 2 if your check already has the Force trait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
I actually chose Illusionist for Ezren. It was tough call though. I actually started to go with Evoker. Got the card out and everything. Then changed my mind.

The Illusionist power to place an evaded monster on the bottom of the deck is the practical equivalent of auto-defeat because you are likely placing it behind the villain/henchman, so it will probably be banished when you close the location after defeating the villain/henchman.

I also liked the +2 to acquiring allies and the recharge upgrade to his draw power. The recharge upgrade will be useful if you pick up spells for exploring that you don't actually want to play or if you have a spell that might be situational, like Teleport.

I actually took Illusionist as well. The only tangible difference in my mind is that Illusionist loses 2 to spell...but at a cost of THREE power feats. I just didn't feel it was worth it.

I like the deck cycling power of the recharge the spell and dodge an enemy, much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.