Hide
8 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Germany
flag msg tools
Can you discard voluntarly (in the action phase)?
I only can find in the rules,that you can discard in the discard phase, when you exceed the handsizelimit. Proof me wrong, because i saw some games (VOD), where people discarded in the actionphase and continued with clicking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't. At the end of your turn you check your hand versus maximum hand-size available, and if you're over it, discard as appropriate.

It should be pointed out that there are some cards e.g. Freelance Coding Contract, that have you discarding cards from hand as part of the event effect.

But you definitely can't just go 'ok that was click 2, now I discard these 2 cards and then carry on with click 3' - even if you could there's no situation where this would be advantageous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Thomas
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out our journey at http://colinbethanyadopt.wordpress.com
badge
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The First Ideal of the Lightweavers (The Stormlight Archive)
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
You can't. At the end of your turn you check your hand versus maximum hand-size available, and if you're over it, discard as appropriate.

It should be pointed out that there are some cards e.g. Freelance Coding Contract, that have you discarding cards from hand as part of the event effect.

But you definitely can't just go 'ok that was click 2, now I discard these 2 cards and then carry on with click 3' - even if you could there's no situation where this would be advantageous.

I agree that you can't discard at will. However, there are a few situations when the ability to do so would be advantageous. If you have an agenda flood, but have an Action Jackson or two out, Archives may be a safer place for your agendas than HQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paedia wrote:
TwoShedsJackson wrote:

I agree that you can't discard at will. However, there are a few situations when the ability to do so would be advantageous. If you have an agenda flood, but have an Action Jackson or two out, Archives may be a safer place for your agendas than HQ.

There are advantages on the Runner side, too. You can't install something in your grip in the middle of the run (yet), but Clone Chip can be used to install something from the heap in the middle of a run. I've used Freelance Coding Contract as a means of both getting paid and allowing for things like instant Parasites, etc, when I drew the Parasite during the turn or didn't have enough cards to discard last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Imobersteg
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
skiesbleed wrote:

There are advantages on the Runner side, too. You can't install something in your grip in the middle of the run (yet), but Clone Chip can be used to install something from the heap in the middle of a run. I've used Freelance Coding Contract as a means of both getting paid and allowing for things like instant Parasites, etc, when I drew the Parasite during the turn or didn't have enough cards to discard last turn.

Self-Modifying Code can install a program during the middle of a run. So can Personal Workshop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nungunz wrote:

Self-Modifying Code can install a program during the middle of a run. So can Personal Workshop.

He said that nothing can, as of yet, install something from your grip in the middle of a run. SMC installs from your stack and Personal Workshop installs stuff from itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MinisterOfPropaganda wrote:
nungunz wrote:

He said that nothing can, as of yet, install something from your grip in the middle of a run. SMC installs from your stack and Personal Workshop installs stuff from itself.

Roll-on Savoire-Faire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai Hansen
Norway
flag msg tools
MinisterOfPropaganda wrote:
nungunz wrote:

A Monolith on a Personal Workshop would do it, but that's harder to get rolling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls