Subject: cost and urgency rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
We've been having a bit of a tidy up today, and on a shelf in the study I found a number of unplayed PC games. They covered a range of genres, but one thing they had in common was their bargin price stickers (99p, 49p etc). They were all games I want to play, I've just not found the time yet.

Then I looked at my 'to read' pile and it seemed to consist mainly of titles I'd picked up in the reduced section of my local bookstore, or second hand. All are books I want to read, but many have been there for over a year. On the other hand the hardbacks I paid full price for in the run up to Christmas have all been read.

So, to the board games collection and it's the same story. The titles I handed over big money for have all been played, but many cheaper titles, and those I picked up second hand, have yet to hit the table despite there being titles amongst them that we really want to play.

Does anyone else find that, with all other factors being equal, their need to get a game to the table is directly proportional to the amount they paid for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's probably because the expensive games were " I really want this game, so I will buy it" while the cheap games were " This is cheap, I may as well pick it up".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The One
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mb
That was my wife's suggestion, but looking through the titles I can honestly say every one of them was bought because I wanted to play it. I've just not got round to a lot of them yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy the games I want to play and that I know my group will play. There are some games that I buy more for my group and some for me. Price for me is irrelevant. I would far rather spend $80 on a game I know will get played and loved by everyone in my group rather than spend $10-20 on a game that everyone hates.

It is all about the enjoyment factor. That is the return on your investment. That said I tend to stick in the $30-50 range on the games i buy and I am very reluctant to buy games that I know will be a massive struggle to get to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most people would be like this

Recently bought Among the Stars and the expansion, cost a bomb - played it that week (at my weekly group).

Still have some cheaper games that I just put on a shelf and thought "I'll get around to those sometime". If they are smaller boxes, that makes them more likely to be ignored for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Chell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games I go out to 'buy' usually get played pretty quickly. The games on my shelves that haven't been played yet to a t are all games that were free from UK Games Expo. They 'will' get played at 'some' point but it's no rush. They're not games I'm looking to play but if I've bought it then it gets played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beside just picked it up because it was cheap and now I'm not really interested in it. There is also often a reason behind a game being super cheap. Often it's just not good. Sure, you don't get a guaranty with expansive games, but at least if you payed a lot of money for a game you want to try it.
My resolution for this years Spiel is to stay away from super cheap games I don't know anything about. 3€ waisted on an horrible game is worse than having to pay 60€ to get a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls