Hide
7 Posts

Thunderstone Advance: Numenera» Forums » General

Subject: A good starter if I cant get Towers of Ruin? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Neville
msg tools
I cant seem to find Towers of Ruin anywhere, I assume its wither between prints or OOP. Would this be a good place to start if I am just getting into Thunderstone? I know that there is a starter set but I hear bad things and this seems like it has more if I want to go forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it and think it'd be a great entry point if you are AOK with the theme.

If you are hesitant on the theme, the next announced expansion, Worlds Collide, is traditional Thunderstone and also a standalone set due out in a few months. So that's a possible alternative if you can wait.

I have all the Advance sets except the starter set and am a big fan of all of it, for what that's worth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Neville
msg tools
doctorwho wrote:
Depends on what you hope for. Mechanically it's a little more complicated than the regular Thunderstone Advance, still really good. Yet the theme is a mixture of Fantasy and SF - so if movies like Krull don't float your boat, you may dislike the theme a bit. That said, if you simply want to test the game you should buy the starter set. If you really like it, you'll buy all the sets eventually.

Well I haven't ever played TS, but I have played Ascension and form what I can tell people like TS more.. I have Dominion but haven't player it as of yet... Personally I like the Idea of Futuristic regressive as a theme. I just don't want to buy the starter and then move from there to something like this anyway, since this has a board etc. I would get Towers of Ruin but I cant seem to find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Ferdinand
United Kingdom

All Yanks are welcome!
flag msg tools
Cut here
badge
Oi! Careful with them scissors!
mb
Assuming you already know that you can mix the games and thus expand core-games and/or expansions — If you're thinking of such, this release is the only one that differs extensively from a sheer thematic viewpoint. I wouldn't discourage you from buying TS Numenera, but personally I wouldn't mix the cards from this with any other editions.

As for the Starter Set, which I don't know a great deal about, it can be said at least this for comparisons sake: Starter Set = fewer cards = fewer options = less replay value.

Personally I don't believe TS Numenera's more difficult compared to the others in the Thunderstone Advance series.

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Neville
msg tools
Thanks! i do dig this them, however I did buy the starter set to try it all out, and upside I suppose I have a slightly more portable version.

Thanks everyone for all the tips! TBH I will still probably buy this lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl McLaurine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
samalvor wrote:
Assuming you already know that you can mix the games and thus expand core-games and/or expansions — If you're thinking of such, this release is the only one that differs extensively from a sheer thematic viewpoint. I wouldn't discourage you from buying TS Numenera, but personally I wouldn't mix the cards from this with any other editions.

As for the Starter Set, which I don't know a great deal about, it can be said at least this for comparisons sake: Starter Set = fewer cards = fewer options = less replay value.

Personally I don't believe TS Numenera's more difficult compared to the others in the Thunderstone Advance series.

Sam

I actually prefer Numenera's "Skin" over this, I am hoping that they will put out more expansions that fit to that universe than in the Original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls