Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Boonton , NJ , Store Championship First Place Decks + Tournament Recap rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Kincaid
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
NBN: Making News (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (11)
AstroScript Pilot Program (Core) x3
Breaking News (Core) x2
Character Assassination (Opening Moves) x3
Project Beale (Future Proof) x3

Asset: (2)
Jackson Howard (Opening Moves) x2

ICE: (17)
Bastion (Creation and Control) x2
Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) x3 ■■
Draco (What Lies Ahead) x2
Flare (Future Proof) x1
Muckraker (Second Thoughts) x2
Pop-up Window (Cyber Exodus) x3
Tollbooth (Core) x3
Wall of Static (Core) x1

Operation: (17)
Celebrity Gift (Opening Moves) x3 ■■■
Closed Accounts (Core) x2
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Midseason Replacements (Future Proof) x3
Psychographics (Core) x3
Sweeps Week (True Colors) x3

Upgrade: (2)
SanSan City Grid (Core) x2

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 0
Jinteki: 9
NBN: 55
The Weyland Consortium: 6

Identity:
Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie (Humanity's Shadow)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (19)
Account Siphon (Core) x3
Dirty Laundry (Creation and Control) x3
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus) x2
Hostage (Opening Moves) x2
Inside Job (Core) x3
Special Order (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3

Hardware: (7)
Desperado (Core) x3
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x2
R&D Interface (Future Proof) x2 ■■

Program: (12)
Atman (Creation and Control) x1 ■■■
Aurora (Core) x1
Corroder (Core) x1 ■■
Crypsis (Core) x1
Datasucker (Core) x3 ■
Faerie (Future Proof) x1
Femme Fatale (Core) x1
Garrote (True Colors) x1
Peacock (What Lies Ahead) x1
Yog.0 (Core) x1 ■

Resource: (7)
Bank Job (Core) x2
John Masanori (Opening Moves) x1
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow) x1
Professional Contacts (Creation and Control) x1 ■■
Same Old Thing (Creation and Control) x2

Anarch: 6
Criminal: 58
Shaper: 9

These are the decks that I piloted to 1st place at the Store Championships in Boonton , NJ. There were about 24 players in the field over 4 rounds of Swiss into a Top 4 match play finish. There was a good share of strong players in the field. Some of whom I've seen in regionals last year , and others in plugged-in tournaments.

My decks finished swiss at 6-2 . Both losses coming from Andy with sub-optimal starting hands. Admittedly , this was my first tournament playing a criminal ID. I'm usually a shaper player , mostly CT , but Kit as of recently. I made the jump over to criminal because I wanted to just change things up after the year and a half of playing shaper in tournament.

My NBN build was excellent. It's been on a tear , losing only 3 tournament games out of 14 with that list. There have been very few changes from the original list when I first put the deck together. I had complete confidence in it's ability to win games going into the tournament.

I'll break down both decks after my general write-up of the tournament. Forgive me if I forget your names and you see this post. I didn't take notes during the event , and I didn't keep the tournament sheet.

Round 1 vs Jose G. NBN MN + CT

I tend to just flip a virus token and run on red , rather than actually choose. I flipped blue , and corped first. I had a strong start , and got up to 5 APs early via APP and Sansan. I made RnD very taxing , putting Bastion , Muckracker , Pop-up , Caduceus on it , and waited for an agenda as I had an astroscript token left. He wound up sniping an agenda from RnD with interface + Makers Eye. Afterwards he was poor , with a magnum out though. I wound up drawing 3 on my turn , knowing he couldn't hit RnD on his next turn without some sort of trick. He couldn't get in , and I mandatoried the Beale I needed to win. Win 10-4.

Andy's turn. His NBN list was very similar to mine. As he played a Celebrity gift on 2nd or 3rd turn of the game. As for my 2nd and third turn , it was as sub optimal line of play. I didn't have a hostage at the ready , or either ProCo or Kati. I figured that I could just use Desperado and datasucker with the crypsis to tear into RnD and HQ if I needed to early , and just draw during the early game to potentially get into special order/kati/ProCo. Sadly , I didn't see ANY of those. However I do still manage to steal 6 APs over the game. The end of the game was very interesting , as he jackson drew A LOT. I was ignoring the jackson because he didn't really have money , and if he rezzed the san san to score an agenda , he would have been close to broke (and all the gifts were in archves). It got down to the last 6 cards in RnD , and I had an RnD Interface out. I only had crypsis against his Tollboth (lead) and Caduceus on RnD. I have 4 credits , an inside job , and 4 sucker tokens. I figured that the Job on RnD HAD to be good. He would have won before that turn otherwise. I'm at 5 AP , so PRESUMABLY the next agenda wins. The Job HAD to be good. So I access and see... a breaking news and a non-agenda. Up to 6 Ap. He scores out of hand next turn. We look at the last four cards of Rnd and they were ALL agendas 5 out of the last 6 cards were agendas , and I hit the breaking news and the NOT agenda. Darn ...

So I'm 1-1 at this point.

Round 2 vs Josh. NBN MN and CT.

I didn't expect to see that matchup again. I figured NBN would be abound like it typically is. But two CTs in a row I didn't expect. I wind up Corping first.

I have a solid opening hand , with one glaring flaw. It was Pop-up window , Caduceus , APP , Sweeps Week , and Hedge Fund. I don't have two ETR ice against shaper. I'd prefer that over the pop-up because of early RnD interface , SMC'd medium , Makers Eye , Indexing , etc etc. But if I want value out of the pop-up , I need to put it on RnD , as that's the most frequent run target.

I wind up putting the pop-up on rnd anyways and putting THE DEUCE (Caduceus , he was excellent for me today) on HQ and then sweeps. He gets his magnum set up. I expected as much. I draw into another pop-up window and put it on RnD. He Moneys up and installs Akimatsu. The akimatsu install told me EVERYTHING that was about to happen in the game , and in the deck. I instantly thought "there's a keyhole in that deck. He wants two breakers, magnum and keyhole'. I immediately try to draw for one of my fatties (tollboth or flare .. I really want flare for this). I get it .. after the keyhole got installed. During that time , I managed to score an APP and a Beale though. He keyholed two agendas and a Tollboth over the game.

The Tollboth goes online and I have a three agendas in hand. I'm at six AP at the time (as I managed to score another APP as he's focused on RnD Keyholing me). I celebrity gifted two turns before (showing him the three agendas). I knew he couldn't get into HQ (it had a flare on it with Bastion at the base). He surprise installs Sneakdoor and runs my hand three times .. missing the three agendas each time. I score out of hand to win. Dicey game. I should have shored up archives after keyhole got installed honestly. But I didn't pay that dearly for that oversight.

As runner .. sub-par start again. Gamble , Desperado , Datasucker , Fairy 1st turn. No hostage on 2nd turn , hand full of Siphon , Inside Jobs , Shutdown , and a Same Old Thing. Figured I'd draw into Special order/ProCo/etc. I did.. but too late. My mistake was not installing my plascretes. I didn't install them because I saw a good bit of the influence in the deck (including THE DEUCE) in the deck and figured he didn't have scorched. I was wrong. I got midseasoned. And then Scorch , Archived , Scorched.

I'm at 2-2 at this point.

Round 3 (sorry I forget your name) : Weyland BABW and Exile.

This round was a lot more my way. I Corped first (again). I didn't expect to see Exile. I wasn't sure what I was in for. Maybe chess ? Maybe Aesops + recursion ? I didn't know , but I figured 'It's shaper , so play like it's any other shaper'.

His deck was very tailored to deal with NBN , especially how mine is built. I found this out after he installed a set of rabbit holes. The DEUCE wasn't good in this matchup. Neither was my muckracker , draco , or flare. I figured that this would be a good test to see how resilient the deck is against runners packing link.

I fast advance an APP and a Beale out of a San San. He has Magnum economy with corroder. He bricks on RnD , while I draw an extra card every turn. I wind up with more agendas than I wanted in my hand , but they were safest there (two assassinations and a breaking news , and I wanted to save the breaking news). He gets into my remote protected by a bastion and a tollbooth and trashes my San San. Welp.. time to score them the hard way. Or Do I ? I mandatory into a San San. I install that into a remote after drawing an additional card (to keep my hand fat incase of sneakdoor or some other trick) , and put the Jackson I just draw on the san san. He called my bluff and indexed my RnD instead. Thank you Jackson ! He sees 5 , sets the order , and I break up the indexing with a jackson use. Bricks. I rez san san , score assassination with APP token and score the Breaking News next turn.

My Runner game was extremely lopsided. He mulls into a bad hand. He said after the game that he had 4 of his 5 3 point agendas in the first two or three turns of the game , with no ice to really protect it. I was able to get into HQ for free (ice wall on HQ while I had desperado+corroder on the board). I steal two 3 point agendas early on. The funny thing about the game was I KNEW he had to be flooded and NOT be playing scorched or punative in the deck. Because he was drawing and not installing cards or just sitting back and taking money. If he was just taking money , I would have had to wait for plascrete , or else sea scorch or punitive. He wasn't even attempting to race me economically. That told me , no scorch. Also no installs after lots of draws and no econ cards played meant he was flooded. I wind up getting a government out of a remote. Bad hand for him. I feel bad whenever that happens.

4-2 at this point.

At this point , I was in 6th place. I knew I had to win out to stand a chance to be in top 4. I was 90% certain that if I swept my last round , I was in.

Round 4 : Justin H. Kate + Custom Biotics.

Oh man. This is kinda bad. It's someone that I came to the tournament with that I play with at least 10 games a week with. We're good friends , but at the same record .. if either of us swept , we were in top 4. If we split , we were both out. Either way , SOMEONE is going to walk away mad from that game.

Also , we tend to split our sets in casual play , another bad sign. And we know each other's decks inside and out. We know each other's playstyle inside and out. This was going to be rough.

I corp first (yet again ... seems to be a theme). I have a VERY good hand of San San , APP , Sweeps , Pop-up , and THE DEUCE. I say this is very good here because I know how he plays. I'll get the APP out , unless he wants to be broke getting his Imp to trash my san san. I proceed to do so. I later draw into a Character Assassination , and use it from hand to kill a kati with 12 or 15 credits on it. He has a hard time recovering from there. He also had problems as he couldn't find an SMC until about 23 cards into his deck. But he does have an imp out. He wound up accessing an agenda and trashing it with imp because he knows the midseason is coming. But I put him in a spot where he's forced to score an agenda. I midseason and then psycho out a 3 point beale for the game.

Onto Runner. Andy's been moody , so I wasn't sure what I was going to get into with her. I actually get a great opening hand. Datasucker , Depserado , Gamble , and Fairy was first turn play. Hostage into ProCo was on 2nd turn (already had the Kati , knew I'd need to draw a fair bit in the game). I had momentum through the game for a while.

That being said .. let me explain his custom biotics deck. It's full of Curtain Wall , Wotan , Heimdall 2.0 , Etc etc. With 3 Oversight AI and 3 Bioroid efficiency. There are also 2 or 3 Archers. His Agenda distribution is 5 1 point agendas , and 5 3 point agendas. It fast boots ice , and gets A LOT of money from profiteering and general HB assets. It also runs 3 ash as well. It's not a deck that you can sit back on for very long. It's resilient to sihpon and shutdown as well. In fact I wound up discarding all the siphons I saw in the game.

I stole a 1 point agenda. He winds up scoring a profiteering and a Veterans program. Those two agendas got fed to two archers. One hit , the other one didn't , as it was used to punt an inside job into a fatty. He did wind up making a misplay , not considering shutdown and put into a spot that he either gets archer shut down on the remote protecting a two advanced card (I know there are no traps in the deck) , or he rezzes the ice on HQ making him too broke to score the agenda and I wind up getting it next turn. He loses the Project Wotan , and I wind up scoring another prio req. from Rnd off of an interface run for the game. I'm glad I swept but felt bad that it knocked out a friend.

6-2 at this point.

I get into top 4 , with two people at 16 points and two at 12. Both of the 16 point players I've played in other tournaments before. I've only beaten one of them both times I played him , and the other I've only played against once and lost because of a horrible mulliganed hand as corp and I got blanked in matchplay. I liked my chances though.

Semi-Finals : Tom NBN MN + Exile.

ANOTHER Shaper. His exile , though , I kinda had an idea what to expect. I wasn't in the dark really. Again , I just treated the match as playing against any other shaper.

I take a decent opening hand , not wanting to mulligan aggressively into a bad hand. Decided to play it safe here. He gets his magnum up early (as per usual) and takes lots of money , being prepared for the midseason that I showed him with celebrity gift. I wind up scoring an APP fairly early , and a breaking news later on. BUT that's where I stopped. I drew nothing but assassinations , and no San San to be able to score at least one of them safely. I saw the femmes in his heap and knew my tollbooths were worthless. I didn't really have an out in that position. If I got into a San San or a NOT assassination , I would have been in a much better spot. I did make RnD very expensive for him , with Bastion , Pop-up , the DEUCE , and muckracker on RnD. He knew he couldn't take tags at all because I showed him Closed Accounts and the two psychos in my hand with gift. It cost him 9 credits per run , so he couldn't RnD lock me. If he took 2 tags , I could psycho out any other agenda I might have drawn , since he stole ALL the assassinations. But I didn't have a safe remote , nor could I make one , so if I drew an agenda it was ok. He winds up getting a beale from RnD. He's up 10-3 going into my runner game.

And I see him put down NBN. Oh man .. if he scores an APP , I'm effectively out of the tournament. I had to come close to shutting him out. I knew my deck could do it though (spoilers.. it did).

He takes a mulligan , and I keep one of the best hands my deck could give me. I've got Desperado , Datasucker , Hostage , 2 Dirty laundries , a special order , Johnny Mas , and an inside job. I had everything I wanted. He opens with a weak opening of ice on HQ and two remotes. I install Desperado , Dirty Laundry both remotes (PAD and Marked , so this is more of a classic NBN) , install Johnny Mas. I didn't install him in between laundries because I didn't want to be forced to discard. Next I hostage for Kati , and just run rampant on the deck. I stole an unprotected beale at one point. He does score a breaking news from hand , but that's all he scores. I run rampant and get all the agendas that I need fairly quickly. It was exactly the kind of win I needed.

Finals , Roger : Gabe and HB ETF.

THIS is what I expected to be playing a lot of today. Not Shaper. Gabe and HB Fast Advance. This time (shocker) I wind up RUNNING first. Yay ! Exactly what I want to do in match play against HB ETF , with my corp being NBN.

I mulligan and he keeps his opening hand. I've lots of experience on HB FA (don't we all ?) , so I knew what I was getting into. At least that's what I thought...

He sets up with Green Level , Ice Ice. I Datasucker , Dirty Laundry archives , install J.Mass , and install Faerie. He decides to bolster RnD first. This tells me that he has no agendas in hand , and the ice on HQ isn't a sentry. I wind up hostaging into Kati and installing corroder. Afterwards I start hitting his RnD pretty hard. It's protected by an Eli . So I wind up breaking it for fairly cheap by spending datasucker tokens. Masanori got me into desperado not too long afterwards. He Biotics an ABT and gets one ice out of it. The eli is put on archives (a good decision IMO) and I check it to steal a Hass Pet Project. Not too bad for him. That turn I go into HQ and he rezzes a Rototurret , forcing my faerie to be used up. I get in , get nothing and shutdown the Eli on RnD. I installed a Garrote next turn and run rampant all over the place. He installs a card into a remote when he's got 5 credits , and I have to check it. Turns out it was a Snare ! Whoa .. snares in HB eh ? It did pick out an inside job , a siphon , and a plascrete though... I'd say it was a good pull for him. I wind up hitting ANOTHER snare in the same remote (I made sure I drew up before though) , and lose some cards that I didn't really need anymore. After those snares though , he was low on econ. He couldn't catch up to me , and I wind up winning 10-2. Awesome for me !

So I'm on my NBN. Against gabe... oh man. Criminal in general can shut out decks if they get a great start and I don't , as proven by my runner game. I just need an astro and I'm good though.

I take a decent hand. Wall of Static on HQ , the DEUCE on RnD , Tollbooth at the ready for a remote to score the astroscript that I got from my mandatory (I played a hedge fund on 3rd click). All I need is one more ice to put in front of the tollbooth to dodge inside job and I'm set.

The Ice I get winds up being muckracker. Not the best for that situation , but it'll do. But I sit back and take money for a turn to prepare for that move.

And then I draw an agenda... and another... and another... I've got to shut off RnD before he really goes nuts in there. But I make the move to score the APP. He inside jobs (like I thought he would have to) , and hits the booth. I score the APP next turn... but I'm broke. I need to get some money. He forces me to keep using money on RnD because of the RnD interface he had out. Why am I not able to score any agenda out of hand ? Because all of the agendas in my hand are Assassinations ! Gah.. not again ! I swear , when NAPD contract comes out , they're replacing assassination SO HARD. I have to shut off HQ now because he got his corroder.

I put another the DEUCE on HQ and take some money. He install crypsis. Damn it. At least it isn't mimic. He gets a kati and starts ramping his economy. It's getting scary now. I mandatory draw (I've got no money) .. see a Beale ! Yay ! I'm at 4 cards now though.. I should fatten my hand a bit and take two credits. So I draw.. and see another beale. Oh god. I have a 5 Agenda hand. If he installs a sneakdoor , I've probably lost. He got an agenda out of RnD at one point , so if he installs sneakdoor and runs it three times , I've lost and we go to game three. Now.. I've got a pretty good poker face (I'm a career jinteki player actually) .. but even I'm starting to sweat it.

And....

He doesn't have sneakdoor. And he doesn't have the credits to get into my HQ conventionally. He had 4 credits in his pool. It would have cost him 8 credits to get in (Wall of static , THE DEUCE , and Bastion on HQ). He Takes credits and loads Kati. I Score one of the beales from hand. Wins me the set (we played it out anyways and wound up winning behind a the tollbooth 8 or 9 turns later).

So I wind up store champion. Yay for me ! My decks performed amazingly for me , and I feel they're very strong lists. I know I didn't mention the Atman really at all in the synopsis of the tournament , but it did a lot of work for me. Atman 2 was awesome for me in a lot of matchups , and Atman 5 paid off in pretty much ALL of the NBN games I played. I feel like Atman deserved it's deckspace. If anything , I Kinda wished I I ran two of them.

Also , 3 hostages should be in the deck. The games I hostaged turn two , I won. If I didn't have hostage , I lost. Otherwise , everything else was great. NBN performed amazingly.

That's my (poorly told) story of my store championships experience , and my decklists. Thanks for reading this Monolith of a post !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bartels
United States
Jamesburg
NJ - New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting that tourney report. do you ever make it down to Central Jersey? I am trying to get people interested in the game ata my local FLGS- The Gamers Realm. what store do you play at? Is there a league night? I work up in Roseland.

Thanks
Larry B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bobberson
msg tools
Spent the whole narrative trying to figure out what the DEUCE was, and I failed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenobob wrote:
Spent the whole narrative trying to figure out what the DEUCE was, and I failed.

I was confused by that at first as well. It's Caduceus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kincaid
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kenobob wrote:

Lol... sorry... it's referencing Caduceus. I fixed that in the narrative.

My group pronounces it "Ka-DUECE-E-Us". I've affectionately dubbed it 'THE DUECE'. I figured I'd start the nickname train on BGG as well.

labartels wrote:
what store do you play at? Is there a league night?

I run a netrunner night at Trotta's Hobbies in Barnegat , NJ. I've been running a night there for about 4 months and our player base is growing (averaging 8-12 players a night).

I'm starting a full tilt league there when they get a hold of season 1 2014 kits there. I will be running a store championship there though sometime in march (probably the 9th as of now).

I've run tournaments there before as well.

We start every sunday at 6pm and play until whenever we decide to stop. Usually around 11pm. 5 hours of netrunner is nice ... gotta say.

I'm there every sunday (including the date of this post) , if you want to meet up and play sir ! Although I know that's a bit far for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The deuce? No way. Viper is the Hissmaster, and Caduceus is the Hissmaster Supreme!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher MacLeod
Canada
Moncton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the report! How are you liking Garotte in there? I always found the 2 MU restrictive...

It also caught my eye that you were playing Kit recently but chose not to bring her - do you think she would have done as well, or do find she's significantly worse? I've been brewing a lot of Kit lately but haven't found a list that I would be comfortable taking to a tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gentlemen, with the Store Champioships season having started, I can't help but notice the lack of high-res image of alt.art Kati Jones. Would somebody please be so kind as to scan it and send it to Alsciende?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nordin
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Scott!

I spent the whole report waiting to see how your inevitable match with Roger went, and was almost beginning to suspect he didn't make it up there.

I couldn't make it due to a previous commitment but I'm still relishing the games we played at The Only Game in Town last month. Proud to be among the few to have taken down your NBN build. Looking forward to playing against you guys again soon.

Cheers,
Tim (the shark)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kincaid
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kiv6 wrote:
Thanks for the report! How are you liking Garotte in there? I always found the 2 MU restrictive...

It also caught my eye that you were playing Kit recently but chose not to bring her - do you think she would have done as well, or do find she's significantly worse? I've been brewing a lot of Kit lately but haven't found a list that I would be comfortable taking to a tournament.

As far as garrote goes ... it's been fantastic. The 2 mu isn't that restrictive IF you have a desperado out. Then you can rig up with Corroder , Garrote , whichever fracter , and a single datasucker. I've not minded the front end investment either. Just as long as you're smart with your bankroll and don't go crazy spending it on too many random early RnD runs. Dropping a faerie early (which I did in most games) let me facecheck with impunity , break what I had to , and install Garrote in it's place. Given the fact that I only run one faerie , this situation shouldn't be THAT likely though.

As far as Kit goes , this is my Kit list :

Identity:
Rielle "Kit" Peddler: Transhuman (Creation and Control)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (17)
Diesel (Core) x3
Levy AR Lab Access (Creation and Control) x1
Quality Time (Humanity's Shadow) x2
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Test Run (Cyber Exodus) x3
Tinkering (Core) x3
Vamp (Trace Amount) x2 ■■

Hardware: (4)
R&D Interface (Future Proof) x2
Plascrete Carapace (What Lies Ahead) x2

Program: (10)
Femme Fatale (Core) x1 ■
Gordian Blade (Core) x3
Inti (Creation and Control) x2
Mimic (Core) x1 ■
Self-modifying Code (Creation and Control) x2
Snowball (Trace Amount) x1

Resource: (14)
Aesop's Pawnshop (Core) x2
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3
Daily Casts (Creation and Control) x3
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow) x2
The Source (Creation and Control) x2 ■■
Woman in the Red Dress (Mala Tempora) x2

Anarch: 5
Criminal: 1
Shaper: 67

It's a source control deck that snipes agendas from remotes. The economy in the deck is obscene , and it frequently has over 30 credits , since it doesn't make many runs over the course of the game. RnD interface is in there , should the scenerio come up that I can get into RnD with little effort. Woman in the Red Dress is stellar in this list , because it forces the corp to speed their game up. Plus I'll essentially get to see three cards from RnD if I have one interface out and they draw off the card from Woman in the Red Dress.

I didn't take this list to the store championships because I ran it in the last tournament that I was in (which I came in 2nd out of 16). It performed adequately , but I just wanted to change it up for that particular tournament. I planned on attending at least 3 more store championships anyways , so why not play the new deck in the first one ? To my delight , it performed beautifully.

I do think my Kit deck would have also performed strongly in that field as well.. I do have the uttmost confidence in that list. In hindsight , I might have won maybe one more runner game than I did with Andy because I have more experience piloting Kit than Andy. Plus , my Kit list has an excellent matchup with NBN , whereas I feel criminal in general has a rougher time against NBN. Given that information , and how much NBN I wound up playing .. I do think I would have won maybe one more runner game , or at least had the same record as Andy.

Now I can just enter the other store championships with janky lists just for fun. If I do happen to win another one , I'll just pass off the bye to the 2nd place player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kincaid
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tlnordin wrote:
Congrats, Scott!

I spent the whole report waiting to see how your inevitable match with Roger went, and was almost beginning to suspect he didn't make it up there.

I couldn't make it due to a previous commitment but I'm still relishing the games we played at The Only Game in Town last month. Proud to be among the few to have taken down your NBN build. Looking forward to playing against you guys again soon.

Cheers,
Tim (the shark)

Lol... thanks Tim ... I'm looking forward to playing you again soon sir ! I've gotta shark the shark at least once !

And once I saw Roger when he came in , I knew that I'd wind up playing him either in the elimination rounds , or in the last round of swiss. When I played him at the last tournament , I lost in match play because I had a TERRIBLE opening hand that I had to deal with as corp. I scored one breaking news and that's it. He won corp with a Labored ABT. So I didn't really have matchup experience against him .. but I felt I could win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gum
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a great event, I can't believe how close the field was. I finished with 8 points, but almost all of my losses were by a single agenda...

(I was the guy running NEXT Design/Whizzard.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
i love the NBN list.

the andy list is interesting.

btw: i believe it's wrong to dirty laundry the remotes in the semifinals. jackson would be painful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kincaid
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
siowy wrote:
i love the NBN list.

btw: i believe it's wrong to dirty laundry the remotes in the semifinals. jackson would be painful.

I don't because if he trashes a jackson , he gets no cards back into RnD and loses the jackson draw engine just to deny me 4 credits.

If he does , he just slows down my 2nd turn a bit. I'd just take a credit and install datasucker as the finish of my first turn (discarding inside job). 2nd turn is run archives , dirty laundry archives , hostage kati. I'm still in a strong spot and the jackson gets him nothing but one card back.

I considered what would happen if either was a jackson , and it just made sense to do. I like the board state in either outcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Vash2002 wrote:

He gets his magnum set up. I expected as much. I draw into another pop-up window and put it on RnD. He Moneys up and installs Akimatsu. The akimatsu install told me EVERYTHING that was about to happen in the game , and in the deck. I instantly thought "there's a keyhole in that deck. He wants two breakers, magnum and keyhole'.

Ironically, not really what I was doing there. Sure, the Keyhole was coming, and I'd prefer not to telegraph that. But this play was in response to making my first run with the Magnum-only rig (or getting ready to, I forget which exactly). Since I was running a Magnum-only econ, having it trashed is mostly awful, so the Mem Chip gets plopped down as Power Shutdown protection in case that's coming from out of faction.

Congrats on the win. Our games are always great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kincaid
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
capbarclay wrote:
Vash2002 wrote:

He gets his magnum set up. I expected as much. I draw into another pop-up window and put it on RnD. He Moneys up and installs Akimatsu. The akimatsu install told me EVERYTHING that was about to happen in the game , and in the deck. I instantly thought "there's a keyhole in that deck. He wants two breakers, magnum and keyhole'.

Ironically, not really what I was doing there. Sure, the Keyhole was coming, and I'd prefer not to telegraph that. But this play was in response to making my first run with the Magnum-only rig (or getting ready to, I forget which exactly). Since I was running a Magnum-only econ, having it trashed is mostly awful, so the Mem Chip gets plopped down as Power Shutdown protection in case that's coming from out of faction.

Congrats on the win. Our games are always great fun.

Indeed they are sir ! Thanks ! I enjoy playing you quite a bit ! I was very happy to see you there.

Ahh... shutdown fodder... I hadn't considered that. I don't typically see shutdown come out of NBN , so I didn't see that as why that mem chip was installed. However , it's a good play in regards to that.

Now.. if I did have power shutdown and you didn't have fodder for it , would I have shutdown ? If I have a jackson ready , absolutely. If I don't.. probably not. Because of shaper having clone chip , I risk too much trashing 5 random cards from RnD to stall your economy for a turn or two. I don't think risking IMMEDIATELY losing the game is worth that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
Vash2002 wrote:
siowy wrote:
i love the NBN list.

I don't because if he trashes a jackson , he gets no cards back into RnD and loses the jackson draw engine just to deny me 4 credits.

If he does , he just slows down my 2nd turn a bit. I'd just take a credit and install datasucker as the finish of my first turn (discarding inside job). 2nd turn is run archives , dirty laundry archives , hostage kati. I'm still in a strong spot and the jackson gets him nothing but one card back.

I considered what would happen if either was a jackson , and it just made sense to do. I like the board state in either outcome.

it's very close i think. if you don't think he's got the balls play the naked astro against you, then i think it's preferable to datasucker and laundry R&D instead.

you lose 6 credits on the first turn if you hit a jackson(5+1 for desperado), which makes the jackson well worth it. and there's the chance they could both be jacksons.

this is really just nitpicking, because i think both choices are very close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Keaten
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
First Click
badge
Praise it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering if you'd be the one to pull it off or not.

Congratulations, and great games in the semis. We both got pretty hosed on our corp ends - you from those Characters and me from just piss-poor hands. Also, I won't lie, since it was my first round ever outside of round-robin, I didn't "get" how that changes play. Of course you'd run everything I put down every time, you kind of had to, but that didn't click until it was far too late.

I'd say I'm pretty happy with this mat though XD

Congrats again, and enjoy the bye in Regionals!

EDIT: I don't think you ever actually put out J.Mason against me. The only two resources I remember were ProCo and Kati. I think it might have been ProCo or Gamble on turn 1, but I can't really remember at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Why Flare?

You don't seem too interested in Meat damage so I assume there's some Hardware you're desperate to kill? Or did you just want the biggest Sentry you could find?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did 3x character assassination work out for you? I am hesitant to run 3, at least in my meta. Currently running 2, with +1 breaking news and +1 gila.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sutcliffe
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
Saan wrote:
How did 3x character assassination work out for you? I am hesitant to run 3, at least in my meta. Currently running 2, with +1 breaking news and +1 gila.

I think that would probably be a downgrade. NBN Midseasons wins when it can out-muscle the runner economically and CA helps to ensure that happens by removing key economy resources. If you get to blow up a Resource then it's worked towards your win condition, and if there was nothing to blow up then you're probably well on your way to your win condition anyway.

Aside from that, with Psychographics you are rewarded by putting all your AP into a single card that can be FAed rather than splitting it into two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did the Muckrackers work out for you? I feel like even a single point of link (*cough* Andromeda) makes them almost blank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Nordeng
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool decks, and congratulations. I am chomping at the bit for some tourneys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Meindersee II
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sechen_rob wrote:
The deuce? No way. Viper is the Hissmaster, and Caduceus is the Hissmaster Supreme!
Boo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kincaid
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Neksol wrote:
I was wondering if you'd be the one to pull it off or not.

Congratulations, and great games in the semis. We both got pretty hosed on our corp ends - you from those Characters and me from just piss-poor hands. Also, I won't lie, since it was my first round ever outside of round-robin, I didn't "get" how that changes play. Of course you'd run everything I put down every time, you kind of had to, but that didn't click until it was far too late.

I'd say I'm pretty happy with this mat though XD

Congrats again, and enjoy the bye in Regionals!

EDIT: I don't think you ever actually put out J.Mason against me. The only two resources I remember were ProCo and Kati. I think it might have been ProCo or Gamble on turn 1, but I can't really remember at this point.

Thanks Tom ! And I think you're correct. I didn't play Johnny Mas in our game. I was going purely off of memory of all 12 games , so excuse the mistake. I'll fix it in the report.

If you go to another store championship , I'm sure you'll pull in at least another top 4 brototurret.

magicdave wrote:
Why Flare?

You don't seem too interested in Meat damage so I assume there's some Hardware you're desperate to kill? Or did you just want the biggest Sentry you could find?

Well... you're mostly correct in your assumption. But there's more to it.

I do want to nuke RnD Interface if I can. Truth be told , there's a good bit of hardware that's pretty sweet to blow up. Desperado comes to mind. It's a nice bonus to having flare. Plus , criminal tends to hold onto cards that they need (inside job , siphon , sneakdoor). Having even a random chance of pulling those from damage is better than no chance at all.

Fun little trick with this deck too... people like to install plascrete against NBN. If they hit the flare , blow up their plascrete. Now watch as the runner scrambles to install another plascrete , wasting tons of time. It's pretty easy to feign having scorched with this list , given how much money it generates.

Flare is also another late game ice that I can use that isn't tollbooth. I really want 4 late game ice in the deck , and I have no spare influence for anything else. I would NOT run 1 archer in this list over one caduceus , as I only run two breaking news. Plus it hurts more when archer inevitably shutdown by crim.

BUT there are two more reasons. Atman is one of them. One Atman at 5 completely neuters my lategame scoring potential behind ice. Flare and Draco at least give me some variance against Atman.

The last reason is because I want to give the runner the chance to throw money into beating the flare trace to get an agenda. If they pay 7 or 8 credits to steal an agenda , that's 7 or 8 credits that they don't have for the midseason afterwards.

Saan wrote:

The reply for this is pretty much exactly what Magicdave said in the post below that. Assassination gives me the ability to just blow up Kati/ProCo/insert-econ-resource-here. It's better than pinging with PSF post midseason. And I'd rather not have the agenda dilution by running Gila or any other 1 point agenda.

CitizenFry wrote:
How did the Muckrackers work out for you? I feel like even a single point of link (*cough* Andromeda) makes them almost blank.

Muckracker is fantastic for me. It turns on psychographics and closed accounts. Typically , the runner hits this and either takes two tags from it , or spends money when I don't have to spend much more than the recurring credits. The BP is almost a non-issue , as a pop-up-window can filter that out during a run for you.

A tactic with muckracker that I like to use is putting it on a server in front of a san san + breaking news. This way they either run it , spend money dodging traces and trashing san san , while scoring breaking news (turning on midseason) , or letting me have it , and scoring TWO agendas in one turn.

If they steal it , they just spent up to 12 credits getting the news. This is 12 less credits at their disposal , so midseasons hits harder for less money. If they don't steal it , then San san gets rezzed , advance and score breaking news for 1 credit. Then install any 3/2 agenda on san san and psycho it to score another agenda. This can be done for 9 credits. 9 Credits is pretty easy to swing with this deck.

Back to muckracker. Even runners with link have to deal with it with money somehow , as long as you're smart with your recurring nbn credits. The first time it's rezzed , put 1 credit on the first trace , one on the second , and either 1 or two real credits on the third. So in total , they spend 6 or 7 credits. That's equal to what you just spent. In subsequent runs , put one nbn credit on the second and third subs. This maximizes it while spending nothing. It's something you have to feel out though.

Muckracker is also FANTASTIC against siphon. Rez one on HQ when they siphon. Dump all your money into the traces. You'll stick at least two tags that way. You deny them money , and they still have to clear the tags.

I'm a fan of this card in the deck. It literally scored me three agendas in store championships. Two of them were APPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |