Sergio Pernas
Spain
A Corunna
A Corunna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I'm looking for a fast-play (under 45 min) card game for 2 to 4 players. It's better if it's customizable, but it's not a deal breaker.

Full disclosure: we're a 6-person group of former Magic players. We played third through fifth edition, aprox., and grow weary on the collectable-money-black-hole aspect of it. But we miss a lot of things from it (I'll spare you the part where we miss being in our twenties, too ). We really miss the continuous interaction and out-of-turn play of Magic, and the sheer amount of possibilities.

So, we'd like a high-interaction, maybe customizable, fast game. I'll maybe have to settle for Summoner Wars (I'd only played it on the iPad), but I think it lacks the kind of out-of-turn interaction we crave.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot
Sergio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Try picking up some of the Commander 2013 Magic decks. Commander is a Magic format that is excellent for multiplayer. Each player has a 100-card deck with no repeated cards, except for basic lands. There is so much variety in each deck that I think just getting these decks should satisfy this need without turning into a money pit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Cosmic Encounter with one of the Expansions. Plenty of random powers and the ability to rain on each other's parades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Madd
United States
Statesboro
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend mage wars, it's the best game of that genre hands down, but it doesn't quite fit into your time frame. The game definitely does not drag, you would hardly notice the time fly, and once you get good the majority of games are completed within an hour, but games can definitely last longer than that as well especially when you're new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer: Invasion is the LCG closest to Magic in my experience, and should work fairly well. It does have a large number of expansions available, but I've played a great many games with just the starter box. It comes with drafting rules, multi-player rules (in a specific expansion), and six factions in the first several waves of expansion. (Only four are playable out of the starter; you'll want Warhammer: Invasion – Assault on Ulthuan for High Elves and Dark Elves.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Solow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its on my short list to actually try, but I hear that the Game of Thrones LCG is good if you like magic and want to play with 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only two players, but you may enjoy Blue Moon. I believe Blue Moon Legends is coming out soon, and it will have all of the expansions in one box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Pernas
Spain
A Corunna
A Corunna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon Legends is on my radar, in any case I'll get it. Af for the rest, Warhammer: Invasion is way too big to get into it now, I think, as is Android: Netrunner.
I'm not so sure on Mage Wars Arena, though. Maybe the two-player-only thing is a bit of a drag, but it really looks good And then there's the Magic: The Gathering Commander thing, that I didn't even know existed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Blue Moon Legends is on my radar, in any case I'll get it. Af for the rest, Warhammer: Invasion is way too big to get into it now, I think, as is Android: Netrunner.

Way too big? As in "these blue jeans are so popular now I can't be seen wearing them"? To be honest, the start set of Netrunner could keep you busy for quite some time. I think it would be a disservice to yourself to pass on a game system just because it's popular and/or has a large number of optional cards. Keep in mind LCG format breaks the mold of having to buy more than one copy of each expansion since every box contains the exact same cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heiser
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner fits your criteria best.
Mage Wars Arena would be another good choice, except game length might be an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Storm of Souls. Designed by Magic the Gathering champions. Non collectable. Might be just what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Baker
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a card game that can play 2 to 4, had a card pool, but doesn't have rare chasing, A Game of Thrones: The Card Game comes to mind. I've played it a few times and did not enjoy it though.

Another game that will play 2 to 4 (with a deluxe expansion and I think it's team play: 2v2 or 3v1) is Star Wars: The Card Game. I definitely liked it more than Game of Thrones, and it plays quickly, but I traded my copy away because...

I'll have to second the recommendation for Android: Netrunner. It's only ever two player and I love the back and forth, the guessing and bluffing, and the meta game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) might be just what you're looking for. It has very high interaction, plays quickly, and is nearly infinitely customizable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
sergiopernasvelo wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking for a fast-play (under 45 min) card game for 2 to 4 players
...former Magic players. ...We really miss the continuous interaction and out-of-turn play of Magic, and the sheer amount of possibilities.
So, we'd like a high-interaction, maybe customizable, fast game...
Android; Netrunner is by far the best game I've ever played; but!!! it does not have the instant speed cards you like. It's all sorcery speed.
To make up for the lack of instant speed cards, one player plays his cards face-down, the other player plays his cards face-up so all the screwage you most likely loved from Magic is now a part of the asymmetry of the game, not something that is embedded in some of the cards. It also alleviates playing on the stack and some of the weirder timing interactions you had to get used to.

How you play your deck is much more important than what deck you built. This keeps the game very much alive even if some player didn't buy the newest, shiniest expansion.

Expansions come out every month. It's about 15$. You know exactly which 60 cards you get in advance because it's all spoiled right here on BGG. If you do begin playing netrunner, you WILL want to buy expansion packs. Not because you need them, but because they bring so many crazy toys to the game that you will want to explore.

This video shows what the game looks like and explain the rules somewhat well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAslVfZ9p-Y
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
sergiopernasvelo wrote:
... is way too big to get into it now, I think, as is Android: Netrunner...
If you're playing with 5 mates, there is no such thing as too big to get into. Who cares if it's just the 6 of you playing?
Buy the Core set and agree among yourselves when you want to expand to any of the released cycles. You can do that with any game.
It's a real shame to deny yourselves of a really good experience because you see obstacles that are not really there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond J Dennis Jr
United States
Meredith
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elemental Clash: The Basic Set might work. I'll also recommend Mage Wars Arena as others have. If you want something quirky that is coming out soon you could get Adventure Time Card Wars: Finn vs. Jake and Adventure Time Card Wars: BMO vs. Lady Rainicorn. "I Floop the Pig!!!!"

Also on a side note you guys should try Hearthstone on the PC and soon iPad it's in open beta right now and reminds me of the fun of Magic from back in the day. It's made by Blizzard and has a Warcraft theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightfall

A deck management game (= deck building during play).

You can draft the cards available the players; some "archives" are available to all, some are "private archives" of a player = only that player can buy from those.

Players' minions attack other players, or are used to block attacking minions.

Six "colors" with different abilities.

Chaining; basically, if you have a card with the right color, you can play that after an opponent has played her cards; and you can continue chaining to your cards of course. And people can chain to yours...

I know I purchased it because it reminded me of Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+ 1 Mage Wars - beats summoner wars in every way except for maybe game length. Really works for me and my ex-magic friends.

Seasons - don't get thrown by the different theme/artwork, there's a solid game here that a lot of old magic players are drawn to. You start with a draft, try to get some cool combos and interactions between your cards, and when you start playing with the advanced/interactive deck, can really start messing with other players as well.

Ascension as mentioned above is another great game designed by some Magic pros, but not sure if it's really what you're looking for. You mentioned playing summoner wars on iPad, so maybe check out the iOS version of this, too, and see if its something you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, there is very little player interaction in Ascension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt B
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always recommend building a Magic the Gathering 'Cube'. A Cube is essentially a large pool of cards that you draft with or otherwise build decks out of and then play against each other. You can use it over and over - the benefit is, outside of your initial expenditure, it costs a lot less than continually buying new cards. If you still have your old collections, you can set up a Cube for a low cost by using all your old cards to build it. That's what I did.

I really think this is the best way to experience M:tG without spending a fortune. Beneath the really sleazy distribution methods, there's still a really awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Pernas
Spain
A Corunna
A Corunna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers. Right now, I think I'm standing on the fence about Android: Netrunner and maybe Mage Wars Arena...

As for the deck building route (Ascension, Nightfall) I have them on the iPad and I really love Ascension. I think it really shines there, but it is as multiplayer solitaire as it gets. I wasn't able to wrap my head around Nightfall, though.

I suppose I'll get a ANR core set (also, it's in Spanish, it's a little plus) and give it a go. Let's see how it works with the group, and if they like it enough to be a little committed. We'll see.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not exactly what you are asking for (and you got some good suggestions in that realm), but check out Seasons also. Each player gets 9 cards, they select one, and then pass the deck to your... left? (I only play with my wife, so passing direction was unimportant.) The game is played in 3 years, and you take 3 cards for your start hand, 3 cards to get at the start of the 2nd year, and 3 cards at the start of the 3rd year. Thus there is game setup drafting. Then you roll 1 die for each player plus 1 extra die, choose which die you want to use for the current round, and the last one determines if you advance the game 1-3 months. You use the cards and mana earned from the dice to score victory points - and there are many potential avenues to victory.

I know it sounds weird, but I think this game would have a good appeal to Magic players. If you want to see it in action, [Rahdo is one of my favorite YouTube channels to watch](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KtNmoisyeo) even if he can talk and gets is all over the place at times. I particularly like his structure of rule & play video, extended play video, and thoughts/review on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto Sarja
Finland
Jyväskylä
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
I've been diced!
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

As an active magic player, i have a few recommendations.

1: Make an MTG cube.
Making one from scratch may involve a bit of work and about 50-100e cash.
You can print all the cards as proxies and put the prints inside a sleeve with a random mtg card.
Printing is easy through a site like http://magiccards.info/
Here is an example of a cube: http://cubetutor.com/visualspoiler/170
So you basically draft the cards and play a "tournament" with your decks.
It is the best "free" mtg-format there is.
Of course people like myself like to invest on the cards and not play with proxies, so there is that.

2: Play singleton formats (MTG).
Highlander and EDH (commander) are great ways to play with lower investment. In reality the costs is highly measured by your playgroup, since it is not fun to play with uneven decks obviously.

info about highlander here: https://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom...
and here: http://www.highlandermagic.info/

info about EDH (commander) here: http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

3: Cosmic Encounter:

This game was made before MTG and you can get the interaction part of MTG from Cosmic Encounter, since in every turn you can play instants or attend in fights.
You play it with 4 or 5 players (more players with expansions).
I advice to delve into this game, it really is a different game every time, even more than a traditional MTG game.

EDIT: of course sections 1 and 3 don't hit the 45min parts. Well, i leave them there, so maybe someone else gets something out of it.

-Risto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor araujo
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also rec recommend Warhammer: Invasion. Of all the other card games I've played it's the closest to come to Magics reverse stack/interrupting play. It also has many other similarities.

I'm not too sure what you mean by being too big to get into. Fantasy Flight's LCG's are pretty good out of the box.

Just get a core set and the Cataclysm Expansion. This expansion gives you the multiplayer format and plenty deck customization options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Meltyman wrote:
Howdy,

As an active magic player, i have a few recommendations.

1: Make an MTG cube.
Making one from scratch may involve a bit of work and about 50-100e cash....
I went to magiccardmarket.eu and bought 2 of every common and 1 of every uncommon from Innistrad and Dark Ascensions. Put it all together and bought enough land for a 4 player sealed play.

Bam! Instant draft cube for 4 player sealed 8 player draft with enough spare cards that you won't use them all every time you draft.

It's crazy cheap when you build cubes form common/uncommon and buy them from major card-sites like 'the market'.

For me, Magic is still a bit on the boring side, but for the money it costs to make a cube, everyone should really own one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |