7 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Greyjoy Raiding Winterfell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
This move keeps happening in our games. It seems impossible to keep Greyjoys out of the Bay of Ice, and then they endlessly raid winterfell preventing gaining any troops. Is there any way to stop this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Forster
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't foster Balon's last surviving heir. The boy is twitchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger 19
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeromage wrote:
This move keeps happening in our games. It seems impossible to keep Greyjoys out of the Bay of Ice, and then they endlessly raid winterfell preventing gaining any troops. Is there any way to stop this?

Place a ship in Winterfell port, stay higher than Greyjoy on IT track and place a raid order on your ship in the port. Raid Greyjoy's raid in Bay of Ice and CP* in Winterfell.

Often to do this you'll need good support from White Harbor and the Shivering Sea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
White Harbor is probably the key support location defending against Greyjoy, because it can support both Winterfell and Moat Cailin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically muster in into the Bay of Ice early on with Stark - usually with a cp* on turn 2 (one ship in Bay of Ice, one ship in Shivernig Sea).
If I lose the bay of ice, my ships retreat to the port where there's a mind game with the Greyjoy - if I think he'll use his ships to support himself when he attacks Winterfell (which is devastating with Victarian), I raid. If he tries to raid, I attack with my ships. Of course, he can also play defense - in which case it is typically still good to have a marck token on your ships, force him to play Balon and not let him play Balon on the attack on WF.

When Greyjoy holds the Bay of Ice, you never ever play a cp* in winterfell. But if all Greyjoy is doing with the Bay of Ice is raiding you, you should feel pretty lucky. If I'm Greyjoy and I hold the Bay of Ice, you should expect me to either attack Winterfell or threaten to attack Winterfell every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Barker
United States
flag msg tools
Barabasse89 wrote:

Place a ship in Winterfell port, stay higher than Greyjoy on IT track and place a raid order on your ship in the port. Raid Greyjoy's raid in Bay of Ice and CP* in Winterfell.

Often to do this you'll need good support from White Harbor and the Shivering Sea.

Damn right.

gamer42_au wrote:
White Harbor is probably the key support location defending against Greyjoy, because it can support both Winterfell and Moat Cailin.

Moat Cailin is your go to spot to hold Greyjoy out of the North by land.
With these two locations Greyjoy can't touch you.

I would always take Moat Cailin on turn 2, then leave only one unit there to retreat/die to play Roose Bolton and get back all my house cards.
And since the single unit screams attack me, you often get to do this multiple times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Stysiak
Poland
Warszawa
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CP* in Winterfell on turn 1, put a ship in Bay of Ice.

In case of turn 2 mustering, muster a ship in Winterfells port and put a d+2 on Bay of Ice and s+1 on the port. Should be enough to stop Greyjoy from entering Bay of Ice, and thus, raiding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.