Hide
7 Posts

Sails of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: Which Wave One Ship Should I Get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MASTER CONTROL
msg tools
Is there alot of difference between all the 32 gun frigates and all the 74 gun ships-o-the -line in the first wave? I'm gonna get into this game HARD and I want to know if there's a tactical difference, or how much tactical difference there is between them, or if I'm just buying them all for the different paint jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, the frigates move a little faster and are more maneuverable than the SoL...but the SoL will blow the frigates to smithereens if they get too close. The starter set had 4 basic maneuver decks, two for the SoL and two for the frigates. Each set of decks has small movement differences as well. So, while a Brit and French frigate will have similar movement capabilities, they each will also have subtle differences. Same with the SoL....hope that helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no real difference between the ships within a class. You could pick any of them without any real fuss. I would say to go with the 74's rather than frigates as they were employed in the line of battle and it makes more historical sense having more of them on the table..... Just my personal opinion.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other subtle differences with ships in the same class. For example,Terpsichore vs Courageuse...the Terp is slightly more powerful until it starts taking damage and then it starts to equal out with the Courag.

These are frigates...but the same applies to the SoL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment, if you want to get into the game hard, you'd better grab any/every ship you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Fort Hood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin is absolutely 1000% correct. If you want all in, then buy it all and buy it now before it's gone.

Tactical differences are small compared to small actions vs. large actions. You'll need a lot of ships to explore all the available options.

Mayor Jim makes a good point in the basic differences.

I think you already have your mind made up, you just need a small push to convince you. Just do it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayor Jim
United States
Fort Wright
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Vote Often!
mbmbmbmbmb
kduke wrote:
At the moment, if you want to get into the game hard, you'd better grab any/every ship you can.
True that...everything has gone pretty quick. That doesn't mean it won't ever be available again though. I remember when WoW first came out, I grabbed a bunch of stuff early on and now you can't find it or it costs an arm and a leg arrrh...such as the two observation balloons and the first Deluxe set (mine's in French).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls