Popular Tags: [View All]
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about trying a simple solo variant for this game (actually I have CC Pacific, but I thought there would be more activity on the CC:Europe forum). I get to play it so seldom, I have forgotten the rules each time my brother comes to visit, so this is a way to avoid that. I could just play both sides, but to make it more exciting, I'm considering this variant:

Choose one side to play. When playing the other side, always draw a fresh hand. Be honest: What's the worst you can do to yourself with this hand. Do it! When it's your turn and you move in sight of the enemy, roll a die to decide if the enemy op fires.

Now, there are just a few things I have to decide. First, what should the op fire probability be? I'm thinking about a table like this (results from a six-sided die):

1-3: No op fire
4: Op fire, unless already op fired this turn
5: Op fire +1, unless already op fired this turn
6: Op fire +2 (op fire +0 if already op fired this turn)

I haven't really thought this through yet, so this table may be wildy inappropriate. Please come up with suggestions.

To keep it simple, I will let the enemy draw a full hand even if it op fired. Free op fire is an advantage for the enemy, while not being able to hoard cards is a disadvantage. I'm also considering letting the enemy draw a bigger hand to compensate for not being able to hoard cards. How many more cards do you think would be appropriate? It could be zero if the free op fire is already too large an advantage.

To summarize: What should the op fire table be like, and how many extra cards should the enemy draw when drawing its hand?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Another way to play solo that I see often:

When Side A's turn is complete, refill the hand of cards, but don't look at them.

Start the Side B's turn. At a point where Side A wishes to react (OpFire, Hidden Wire/Mines, etc), pause and now look at Side A's cards to see if any reactions are possible (either from what they had in hand before or freshly drawn that you hadn't looked at until now.)

You didn't state in your summary - but are you allowing OpFire based on a die roll without the play of a card? I ask as the card play is tied to "time" in the game so anything that changes that (free actions without cards, additional card draws, etc) might mess with the timing of a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:

When Side A's turn is complete, refill the hand of cards, but don't look at them.

Start the Side B's turn. At a point where Side A wishes to react (OpFire, Hidden Wire/Mines, etc), pause and now look at Side A's cards to see if any reactions are possible (either from what they had in hand before or freshly drawn that you hadn't looked at until now.)

You didn't state in your summary - but are you allowing OpFire based on a die roll without the play of a card? I ask as the card play is tied to "time" in the game so anything that changes that (free actions without cards, additional card draws, etc) might mess with the timing of a scenario.

Yes, I was thinking I could op fire without playing cards, but maybe that's not a good idea. Maybe I should try something like your variant, but I think I will still want to discard unplayed cards and draw a completely new hand for the enemy. So here's how I could do it:

Side A (the side I'm playing) makes binding decisions about what to do. Then I draw side B's hand (maybe with some extras if I need a bigger challenge, but I doubt it with the advantage I'm giving to side B). Now side B can use these cards for op firing or save them for its own turn. After executing side A's orders (and maybe op firing from side B), I refill side A's hand for the next turn, and look at it. Then it's side B's turn. Side B will now do it's turn with full knowledge of side A's hand. When side B is finished it will discard the rest of its hand. A new hand will be drawn when side A has finished planning its next turn. Side A will thus have no knowledge of side B's hand, while side B has full knowledge of side A's hand. On the other hand, side B is unable to save cards. Still, I think side B has the advantage, but that's the point. I want it to be challenging to play side A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
Another way to play solo that I see often: [snipped]
I think this is the Up Front method, which is why I defaulted to it for CC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrythesecond
United Kingdom
Camborne
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
A future player sleeps...
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:

That's the system I play, but with the subtle difference that if I decide to check the hand for a Fire Action card, then I'm committed to the Op Fire shot, regardless of what other cards now exist in the hand.

It prevents me checking for all the long-odds or 'hmmm...maybe' shots, as if I decide to Op Fire it may use up the only Fire card and deny that force a much more attractive shooting opportunity on their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls