6 Posts

Deadzone» Forums » Rules

Subject: Frag and Blast rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
paul whitehouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
How have you all been determining how frag and blast shots hit? I've seen it done two ways.

1) 3 dice shoot (1) test
2) 3 dice shoot opposed test against either the single target (shoot) or everyone in the cube (blaze away)

The first way makes hitting fairly easy and as frag/blast is so powerful makes the game imbalanced. Second way makes it harder to hit therefore makes them not so strong. Unfortunately most players favour the first way.

Another aspect is that indirect frag is specifically stated in the FAQ as using the first option which makes all current indirect fire massively overpowered especially if you get the first turn so therefore quite broken.

Thoughts please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group only has a few games in so far. We have played the rules in book. Frags hit very hard no doubt. At this point I'm not sure I would call it 'broken' however.

I might change my tune with more plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mopperty mopperty
msg tools
Not sure, I played 3 game today, and it was the first time we tried Frag. I think we did it wrong though because it did not seam to do much.

Step one)
The shooter would roll 3 dice against his shoot stat to hit the target cube. He only needed one HIT to be on target.

Step two)
The shooter rolled 3 dice for the Frag damage looking for value of 6+ as per the rule book.

Step three)
All models in the target cube would roll 3 dice against their survive stat.

Step four) Any damage in excess of armour only ever seamed to cause models to become pinned.

As i mentioned i think this is wrong, any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul whitehouse
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
How step 1 is done is my question but if you do it this way then a single dice will hit making step 2 a 4 dice (6 dice for massive frag)roll needing 4+ (not 6+).
Step 3, maybe a 3 dice survive roll depending on modifiers.
Step 4, any damage in excess of armour would cause damage, pinning and potentially being blown into a wall or off a building for more possible damage to every model within 1 cube of the target cube.

Imagine that to your team on the first turn when you're bunched in a corner. Pretty much game over so definately broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Stark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's done as Mopperty posted and I agree with him that a Frag/Blast certainly is powerful but you're overstating when you describe it as broken. Try looking at it as a matter of awareness and tactics. Be especially aware when enemies can get to within the three cube range with a frag. It's also not a good idea to keep your squad bunched up when there are lots of frags to be had on the field. And hopefully they are in a cover cube and you have some cards to play for those survival rolls. Just being in a cover cube gives you the dice to match a successful hit. Either that or throw a distract ahead of time if you think your opponent is going for the frag/blast.

In the games I've played I think I've seen maybe one model die from a frag blast outright. The usual result I've seen is a scattering of models all pinned with maybe an injury thrown in. Otherwise it's usually absorbed by armor (given I've used the enforcers mostly). Good luck!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
"The thing's hollow .. it goes on forever .. and .. oh my God! ... it's full of stars!"
mbmbmbmbmb
jaredamylee wrote:
How have you all been determining how frag and blast shots hit? I've seen it done two ways.

1) 3 dice shoot (1) test
Hi Guys

I'm a bit confused how Indirect Fire works and want to confirm what/how
the "3 dice shoot (1) test" works ...

>>> Roll 3d8 ... one success is needed against your Shooting stat?

Any advice appreciated ... Walts

EDIT: Ignore me; got some feedback from one of my clubmates. It's
as I thought, one success against Shooting stat to hit cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls