Burning Suns» Forums » General

Subject: Parallel Galaxy - what's the point? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, it's just a copy of some(most?) components in the game. Is it needed if I fancied a 10 player game or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Marcin,

Thanks for writing.

The Parallel Galaxy provides you with double up on "Ideologies, Races and Structures"
- Which means you can do mirror or semi-mirror matchups, like you would see in games like Starcraft or Sins of a Solar Empire.

Personally I like this, because having a 4-5 player game where some have the same benefits or starting points can make for a very different game.
Relying more on having a good strategy rather than a specific leader, ability and so on.

It also provides double up on systems
- This is mostly for creating huge galaxies.

Best regards Emil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Snyder
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Emil, my dear friend, don't forget about the additional benefit of unique art. I think that's a very important factor. Same or similar components but with unique art isn't exactly the same thing as the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh course... It doesn't affect game play, but it sure does look nice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Mościcki
msg tools
Where is Ishtar's nipple??!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Will any of these two expansions be available at retail? I'm confident enough BS is in my sphere of interest to preorder it, but shelling out 150 pounds for a complete unknown is a bit steep for me. I know I'd love to have those extra ships at least if the game will land on the table often enough, but I would hate to be forced to decide now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Marcin,

Thank you for writing.
I can't guarantee anything about retail, since it'll demand that a few factors go my way. Going retail isn't easy for such a production-wise expensive game like Burning Suns, coming from such a small company like mine.

My plan is to be able to offer a non-Kickstarter game version of the components/packages later on.
I hesitant to promise anything on such a delicate matter.

PS: I'm very happy to hear you feel that way about the game.. I'll do my very best to present a great sci-fi experience for you and everyone else

Best regards Emil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Larsen
Denmark
Faxe
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't personally played larger than 22 systems (leaving some in the draw pile of course).

The antimatter track is based on a lot of plays with around 10-18 systems, where I figured out there was a "breaking point", there was either too much or too little antimatter in the galaxy.

Without a doubt you would have to increase the max goal if you played a 30+ game. And if you wanted the level up to happen more evenly throughout the game, increase the gap between the levels would also be recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Emil: Feel free to save your time and not reply to this

I know Tom complain about how much the art cost for Race for the galaxy and that's a pretty big title.

Maybe it wasn't all too bad for you to get unique art for the second tile set or maybe you two have different references when it come to artwork cost.

It wouldn't had saved you a bit to do double copies of totally the same stuff?

But maybe that doesn't work for some reason?

Not that I would mind alternate art and if I remember correctly the set was so cheap anyway that if one see a purpose for it and are comfortable storing it then price is likely not much of an issue regardless.

One still can't run two separate games at ones just multiple copies of the same race (which if one also have to match ships require a second set of the race ships too? Painted later since they will look the same then or won't they?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls