Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Leunissen
Netherlands
Landgraaf
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Recently my copy of this game first edition, rectangular box) arrived in the mail. I have been reading through the rulebook, but I have a few questions which I am hoping some people here can answer for me.

1) Is executing the bonus action mandatory, or can a player choose not to take the action?

2) Are all CP's after a bid moved to the bank, even those that were placed on political cards that were not chosen? Or do the players who voted for an unselected card get their money back?

2) Same question for bidding for turn order. Is all money moved to the bank?

4) On the research track, why would I spend 11 CP to research the Solid-State laser which gives me only 2 dice, when I can research the Plasma cannon giving me 3 dice for just 2 CP? Why spend more money on something less powerful. Or maybe I am missing something here.

Thanks a lot for all answers. I am still a bit new to gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Suen
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rleunissen wrote:
1) Is executing the bonus action mandatory, or can a player choose not to take the action?
I believe it is mandatory...

Quote:
2) Are all CP's after a bid moved to the bank, even those that were placed on political cards that were not chosen? Or do the players who voted for an unselected card get their money back?

All the money that's spent on bids are sent to the bank.

Quote:
4) On the research track, why would I spend 11 CP to research the Solid-State laser which gives me only 2 dice, when I can research the Plasma cannon giving me 3 dice for just 2 CP? Why spend more money on something less powerful. Or maybe I am missing something here.
Plasma Cannons are larger. Not all ships can accommodate the mounting of a 1x2 cannon. Some blueprints only have room for a 1x1. Case in point, the Dark Raider and Battle Carrier that you start the game with only have room for 1x1 cannon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Bexborn
Sweden
Kalmar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remy is right, but just to clarify a bit:

rleunissen wrote:

The bonus action is mandatory, but most of the individual actions are more or less voluntary anyway:

Research: "You may learn exactly one technology..."
Buy ships/Upgrades: May purchase "any number" of ships/upgrades...
Trade: "You may perform up to 4 exchanges."

The only ones that are truly mandatory are mining, banking, and of course the extra conquest phase.

rleunissen wrote:

All CP's that are bid are lost, regardless of the outcome. See them more as political bribes than auctions.

rleunissen wrote:

The plasma cannons take up two spaces. Besides the fact that not all ships have room for double-size cannons, this means that the SS laser provides 4 dice for the same amount of space compared to the 3 of the Plasma cannon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls