Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you go about doing that? The mechanics of the game are built into the cards. You would have to redesign those as well, at which point you are just building a new game, so why use anything from this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to put together a variant along these lines. Stay posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erm, you did say NONE of the mechanics. is your issue with the lengthy setup, or the mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the setup (after the first game in which you build your character decks) takes less than 5 minutes. Nothing lengthy or complex about it.

If you want to try (some of) the mechanics out, just try shuffling together 10 monster cards, 6 barriers, 4 weapons, 4 spells, 2 armor, 6 items, 6 allies, and 2 blessings into a massive pile. Set aside a Villain card and make another pile of 30 random blessings. That is the only location. The goal is to empty out the pile and defeat the Villain before the blessings deck runs out. Every turn, you discard 1 card from the blessings deck and get 1 free explore (turn over the top card of your location and encounter it). When the location is empty, you may encounter the Villain as your next encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frogimus wrote:
I don't have a clue about the gameplay because the setup removed any chance of enjoying anything.

I bought this on preorder, played 1/2 a game, and stuck it on the shelf. I was hoping it had been out long enough for some house rules to salvage it.

I would recommend at least playing a full game. Then you would know specifically what you like, don't like, and can change.

It sounds your issue is with setup, not mechanics, in which case, just play a different scenario. No need to revamp the whole thing. Or play with someone else who is willing to do the setup for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
badge
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
Shuffle all the cards together and then separate into one big stack per player.
Players take it in turns to place their top card into a central face-up stack, and if it matches the one previously revealed the first player to say 'SNAP' takes the revealed stack into their own deck.
Play until players start to leave or a fight ensues.
Player with most cards at the end wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Players take it in turns to place their top card into a central face-up stack, and if it matches the one previously revealed the first player to say 'SNAP' takes the revealed stack into their own deck.

I love that on BoardGameGeek, even Snap has rules clarification questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

You could also play 52 card pickup, but it has the added setup time of selecting 52 cards that might be discouraging to the original poster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay K
United Kingdom
West Malling
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing to see here. Please move on
badge
It's about time!
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:

Yes, but SNAP has the that dreaded game mechanic.....Player elimination! So it's a no from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you thought you might like the game, I would encourage you to try it with some friends. Then you can share the setup time and shorten it greatly. While I enjoy playing it alone, it is (in my estimation) 100 fold better when played with others, even just 1 other.

Setup does get quicker after the first scenario since your character decks are rebuilt at the end of the previous scenario. So you only have locations to build and 30 blessings to count out. And for 1 character its only 3 locations to build. It does take me a bit longer than 5 minutes though, but probably less than 10.

I would personally not recommend playing snap as the number of matching cards is actually rather limiting to such an endeavor. Assuming you didn't open adventure deck 1 and also didn't purchase the character add-on deck, I think you have 253 distinct cards, only 90 of which have duplicates, with only 42 having more than 1 duplicate. Blessings of the God would of course cause lots of matches, and not using the locations, scenarios, villains and character cards would help with that problem a little bit, but it probably just still wouldn't be very fun. Certainly not as fun as playing the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls