Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just read the rules to this expansion and, as I am likely to be playing this more on my own than with other players, I'd like to check that I have understood the solo rules correctly.

Race to the top: (summer weather) Play 18 turns as in standard K2 but with a different map.

Race to the top: (winter weather) Discard the specified weather tile and play only 15 turns, thereby only working through the deck of cards two and a half times. Otherwise exactly as standard K2 but with a different map.

Broad Peak Traverse: Needs at least two players.

Specifically, am I right in thinking the solo game of 'Race to the top' uses the usual tents rather than snow caves? And am I right in thinking that the only new factor this expansion offers to the solo player is one new map?

And if so - has anyone come up with unofficial solo rules which utilise the new features such as snow caves and traverse tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul wrote:
Race to the top: (summer weather) Play 18 turns as in standard K2 but with a different map.

No, you got this wrong. It's also just 15 turns, as only 5 of 6 weather tiles are used. One specific weather tile (the one showing good weather on all 3 days) is removed before starting the game.

Paul wrote:
Race to the top: (winter weather) Discard the specified weather tile and play only 15 turns, thereby only working through the deck of cards two and a half times. Otherwise exactly as standard K2 but with a different map.

Yes, correct. Basically the same story as when playing summer weather. Again, 1 specific weather tile (= the easiest) is removed from play at game start.

Paul wrote:
Broad Peak Traverse: Needs at least two players.

Yes, although not specifically pointed out in the rules, this scenario does really only make sense with at least 2 players.

Paul wrote:
am I right in thinking the solo game of 'Race to the top' uses the usual tents rather than snow caves?

No, what makes you think that? It's always snow caves in this scenario, no tents - regardless whether you're playing solo or with multiple players.

Paul wrote:
Am I right in thinking that the only new factor this expansion offers to the solo player is one new map?

More or less, yes. But at least with 2 different difficulty levels (summer/winter). And you could probably come up with some solo rules for the other map, too. I don't know if anyone's done that, though. I mostly play K2 with a couple of friends, so I haven't done it myself (yet), sorry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Follow up:

I've had another, more thorough look at the "Broad Peak Traverse" scenario: Although it seems to have been primarily designed to provide for a competitive race between multiple groups of mountaineers, it is also very well playable in solo mode!

You don't need to change any rules at all - just pick 2 climbers of your favorite color and follow the regular solo rules as specified in the K2 rule book (page 10), plus the additional details/exceptions given in the "Broad Peak" rule book (for example, set aside 2 traverse tokens for each of your climbers and remember to use just 1 tent!).

The only 2 details the designer has not supplied us with are:

1) the exact distribution of the victory point tokens for the 3 peaks
2) the chart/table for rating your solo game scores (for summer and winter difficulty levels)

As for no. 1, I would recommend using the same value for each peak, since you're no longer in a race with other players and your scores from repeated solo games can be better compared/evaluated this way.

Possibly, a fitting victory point token distribution would be:

Peak I (8051m): 3 / 3
Peak II(8011m): 2 / 2
Peak III(7490m) : 1 / 1

And after 3 plays in summer weather, I have attained somewhat of a rudimentary feeling for how many victory points could be collected (in theory - not saying that I did on any of my futile expeditions...).
laugh

So here's my first attempt at a somewhat realistic score table:

Level (Summer Weather)

Himalayan Mountaineer > 30 VPs
Alpinist 28-30 VPs
Hiker 20-27 VPs
Tourist < 20 VPs

(One thing I'm almost 100% sure of: It should be virtually impossible to complete the full traversal with all 3 peaks with both of your climbers!)

My table will probably still need some adjustment, as only 3 games (combined with my poor play ) are most likely not enough to "gauge the scale" properly...

So maybe some other people that own the expansion can try to play the "Broad Peak Traverse" scenario solo and post their achieved scores here!?

And hopefully, Folko will stumble across this thread one day and work out the really realistic (= mercilessly challenging) numbers for us, using his vast alpine experience and estimation of what could be achieved if you did everything right in K2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The basis for my original assumption (that for solo play you still use tents and don't use snow caves) is the rule on page 4 which says "The solo rules arethe same as in standard K2, with one exception" (emphasis mine). I took this to mean the same as the original pre-expansion K2 rules (except for the removal of one tile when playing winter weather).

On closer inspection I have realised that the Race to the Top Scenario begins with the description "Preparation is identical to the base game K2 with the following exceptions:" (again, emphasis mine)

From the difference in wording I think I can now assume that 'base game K2' refers to the original pre-expansion K2 and 'standard K2' refers to the non-solo expansion K2 scenario on pages 3 and 4. Admittedly, this does make more sense than the interpretation in my original post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.