Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oleksandr Halkin
Ukraine
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
flag msg tools
mb
Hello everybody, it seems that I've stuck in splitting rules priority again. What happens if we have two instances that causing splitting? As you can see at the photo below there are four equal noise source and two equal routes to every survivor. Does zombie in the middle should split in four (so we will have zombie at every token) or in eight (either per noise and per route, two zombie at every token)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fa
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
badge
Forza Vecchio Cuore Granata!
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be wrong, but I think the Z has to go to the four yellow tokens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It will split into four - one at each 'token'.

The reason is, as you say, there are four equal noise zones, and two routes to each such zone - which gives us eight possible routes - however, each route shares it's 'first step' zone with one other route - leaving just four 'first step' zones (where the tokens are).

Now, can you figure out what would happen if the Walker were a Runner?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Watterson
England
flag msg tools
mb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
There'd be 2 Runners on each of the Survivor zones, right ?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zwixxx wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
There'd be 2 Runners on each of the Survivor zones, right ?!
Correct!

The first activation plays out exactly the same as for the Walker, then, during the second activation, each of the four runners has two equally noisy Survivors in their line-of-sight, and so splits into two - one going to each Survivor it can see.

Resulting in a final total of 8 Runners, and a whole lot of killing to be done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleksandr Halkin
Ukraine
Kharkiv
Kharkiv
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks a lot, it will make my Zombicide sessions a bit easier, I guess laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex A.
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I say the Zombie do not split up. He stays single.

As i remember the rules:
If the zombie don't see a survivor, he can go straight to him,
he go the way to the noisiest zone.

In your example ther is only one 'noisiest' zone with the four markers.
The Zombie go one room left.

postscript:
Oppps... i think i have misread your question and your photo.
If the four yellow tokens not your noise token, so he split up to four
zombies. one in each direction up,right,down,left.
After that (if the situation is not changing) they would split up again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Watterson
England
flag msg tools
mb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Correct!
I rock

btw: questions asked with photos are so much better than ones asked with line drawings - especially when the figures have been painted. :yay:

btw2: I wonder how much the game would be affected if splitting was done away with and a dice roll decided any >1 path dilemas. :hmm:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Willo
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
zwixxx wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Correct!
....btw2: I wonder how much the game would be affected if splitting was done away with and a dice roll decided any >1 path dilemas. :hmm:

I think the term "Splitting" was and is a unfortunate term to begin with.

I see it not as splitting but rather a spawning result. If they only said in the rule that when a Zombie had 2 or more different direction it could go, you spawn a new zombie to go in the extra direction/s, then most people would of been happy with the concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skritter wrote:
zwixxx wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Correct!
....btw2: I wonder how much the game would be affected if splitting was done away with and a dice roll decided any >1 path dilemas. :hmm:

I think the term "Splitting" was and is a unfortunate term to begin with.

I see it not as splitting but rather a spawning result. If they only said in the rule that when a Zombie had 2 or more different direction it could go, you spawn a new zombie to go in the extra direction/s, then most people would of been happy with the concept.

Yep, totally agree. I don't present that rule as 'splitting' anymore. I used to, and people got mad. If you tell'em that it just happen to be an extra zombie that survivors didn't see, like in most Z movies, players are a lot more accepting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that if you have an even number of zombies, they split into two groups, (or a multiple of four splitting into 4 groups in this instance), but if there is a single zombie, it spawns a new zombie - that's where the word 'splitting' comes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
I think that if you have an even number of zombies, they split into two groups, (or a multiple of four splitting into 4 groups in this instance), but if there is a single zombie, it spawns a new zombie - that's where the word 'splitting' comes from.

Yeah, but it gives that amoeba feeling, as if they were actually splitting in two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jani Pietikäinen
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question about splitting:

In Ragnarady's picture, what if the two survivors on the right (orange and purple) would be removed, and the yellow X would be a noise token.

Then there would be 3 zones that are equally interesting for the zombie... The sure thing is that a zombie would be placed in the zone with the noise token, but what about the zones marked with green and red X:s?
You could say that by moving the zombie towards the noise token, it also moves towards both of the survivors - is there any need to split the zombie up now that it already moved towards the survivors?

In other words, must each of the possible "shortest routes" be always covered, or does the additional noise token make the one route preferable over the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pietu85 wrote:
Another question about splitting:

In Ragnarady's picture, what if the two survivors on the right (orange and purple) would be removed, and the yellow X would be a noise token.

Then there would be 3 zones that are equally interesting for the zombie... The sure thing is that a zombie would be placed in the zone with the noise token, but what about the zones marked with green and red X:s?
You could say that by moving the zombie towards the noise token, it also moves towards both of the survivors - is there any need to split the zombie up now that it already moved towards the survivors?

In other words, must each of the possible "shortest routes" be always covered, or does the additional noise token make the one route preferable over the others?
It would split into three - one to the noise marker, one the red X, and to the green X.

If, however, it were a Survivor instead of a noise marker (so you had three Survivors in a line along the left side (one per zone)), then the Walker would just go to the middle Survivor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
Stephanie Baynes wrote:

Yeah, but it gives that amoeba feeling, as if they were actually splitting in two.
How would you describe what the group does without using the words split, splitting, or their synonyms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough question, as it's not my first language. I'd say "spawn" would be a good word for it but it would conflict with "spawn phase", "spawn zone" etc and I don't even know what it exactly means or wether there is an equivalent in french. I know that word from extensive time spent on video games

In short, there probably isn't any other word for it. Also, I'm fine with it, I'm just relating other people's reactions to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

How would you describe what the group does without using the words split, splitting, or their synonyms?

The group separates into (two) groups, and if there is an odd number, a new zombie spawns. Okay, that doesn't really meet your requirements, but it's just about the group splitting and the extra zombie spawning if necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:

The group separates into (two) groups, and if there is an odd number, a new zombie spawns. Okay, that doesn't really meet your requirements, but it's just about the group splitting and the extra zombie spawning if necessary.
That is, in essence, what the rules do say!

I think the issues arise not because of the use of 'split' or 'splitting', but because one ends up asking the question "what if the group consists of one zombie?"

No matter how you worded the rule it would still result in that question and one zombie becoming two, or more, would still make people think of amoebas and cell division.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoogoo wrote:
Tough question, as it's not my first language. I'd say "spawn" would be a good word for it but it would conflict with "spawn phase", "spawn zone" etc and I don't even know what it exactly means or wether there is an equivalent in french. I know that word from extensive time spent on video games
It means 'give rise to' (as in "the movie spawned countless sequels"), '(produce) offspring' (as in "spawn of the devil"), or 'release eggs' (as in "frog spawn").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls