K F
msg tools
Parse's Critical Multiplier provides a damage boost for a hero the next time they deal damage. If that hero plays an AoE damaging effect, such as Rampage, does the damage bonus apply to all targets or only to one of them due to the fact that you can choose the order the damage is resolved per target?

I am probably way overthinking this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text says "Increase the next damage dealt by that target by 1." Based on that, I would say that if your next damage is an AOE, every attack gets the +1. The game is ambiguous enough where if you want to give yourself more of a challenge, you can only count that first target or all of them. If I were you, I would choose all of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing is simultaneous in this game so only one of the targets would suffer the extra damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eggroll20xd6 wrote:
The text says "Increase the next damage dealt by that target by 1." Based on that, I would say that if your next damage is an AOE, every attack gets the +1.
No. Only the next damage. Not all the damages following the text.

Quote:
The game is ambiguous enough where if you want to give yourself more of a challenge, you can only count that first target or all of them. If I were you, I would choose all of them.
Actually, this game is one of them most unambiguous games I know. Follow the card text literally and you will rarely go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
eggroll20xd6 wrote:
The text says "Increase the next damage dealt by that target by 1." Based on that, I would say that if your next damage is an AOE, every attack gets the +1.
No. Only the next damage. Not all the damages following the text.
I agree here. There was a discussion a while ago about a similar situation with Haka of Battle followed by Rampage, and this was clarified. (I think it's in Spiff's FAQ.)
Quote:
Quote:
The game is ambiguous enough where if you want to give yourself more of a challenge, you can only count that first target or all of them. If I were you, I would choose all of them.
Actually, this game is one of them most unambiguous games I know. Follow the card text literally and you will rarely go wrong.
I don't think this is terribly helpful in this instance: I could see it going either way just from the text. But yes, little wording differences do matter in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It's unambiguous. The first target will be dealt the extra damage, the others will not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So target and damage should be read as the same? I figured that if it is referring to the next target, then in an AOE it would only count the first and damage could be all. My mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
eggroll20xd6 wrote:
So target and damage should be read as the same? I figured that if it is referring to the next target, then in an AOE it would only count the first and damage could be all. My mistake.

No, it's a product of the fact that you don't simultaneously deal damage to all those targets, but one at a time. Hence, there's a "next" one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You find the same thing with Haka of Battle and Rampage - the Haka of Battle only increases Haka's damage against the first target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Zabrowski
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also with Expatriette and her ammo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McCaber wrote:
Also with Expatriette and her ammo.
No, actually: the wording is different. Hollow Points, for instance, says that to "Increase the damage of [the gun]'s power by 2". Thus if you put it next to (eg) Submachine Gun, it would end up doing 3 damage to all non-hero targets; the boost is not only for the first instance (as with Haka + Rampage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls