Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Nations» Forums » General

Subject: why is NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
It is a Euro civilization game with Variable Player Powers that has less than 400 cards.
You use about half of the cards per game. It provide countless replayability by providing different situations and thus force players change strategies and tactics in every other game. You never know what bizzar situation your friends and you would be in. every new game there will be some thing relatively new.
In a word, it is neither an Euro stereotype of dry, abstract non-random dajavu, nor a typical shallow ameritrash with unacceptable swings.
Also, it is very easy to house rule it to meet your group's needs. Addtional cards can be easily added(just like fan's expansions, I see huge potential here). Try it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
This is where people ask for recommendations versus people stating a thread and give them.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
NovaPrimeGA wrote:
It is also boring as all get out and has a broken war mechanism. My .02.

I wont be so sure about that, if I figured it is ranked 61 so far with an average of 8.11.
I heard people talking about how TTA has a broken war mechanism, when they encountered a Napoleon + classic army combo early in age II. You know, sometimes you just have to live with it, or maybe it is not the game for you. Sorry for that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
Devil's advocate:


Very high price with low low component quality.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Original Dibbler
Germany
Aachen
NRW
flag msg tools
designer
What's one damage?
badge
It's na-fing!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
Given a choice between TTA and Nations I would allways choose TTA.

Given a choice between Nations and not playing at all I would chose Nations. Maybe.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
kingbird123 wrote:
...You use about half of the cards per game.
...different situations and thus force players change strategies and tactics in every other game.

These are a couple of the reasons I don't like it as much as many other great games.

It's unpredictable, making it less strategic.

And I would change your last sentence above to read "...change tactics in every round".

Because you use so few of the cards in every game, and because the events dramatically change from turn to turn, players have to switch around their current statuses pretty much every turn. This makes "strategy" non-existent, and turns the game into a turn-for-turn tactical-shuffle. And what's worse, is there is no subtly about it. Every event card lays it out there plain as day what every player needs to do this round. So it has nothing to do with secret plots and/or multi-turn strategies.

It's an okay game, but people who claim it's going to take over the BGG rankings and "Will Rank #1" on BGG are a bit...in the honeymoon phase.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
kingbird123 wrote:
I wont be so sure about that, if I figured it is ranked 61 so far with an average of 8.11

It doesn't mean a thing! Overhyped games get high initial ratings. Check it again in a year or two. If it is any good it will still be up there in the Top 50.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Byers
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
GeoMan wrote:
kingbird123 wrote:
I wont be so sure about that, if I figured it is ranked 61 so far with an average of 8.11

It doesn't mean a thing! Overhyped games get high initial ratings. Check it again in a year or two. If it is any good it will still be up there in the Top 50.

This might shock you, but there are more than 50 good games in the pantheon of board games. The top 50 hardly delineates good from bad.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
I am still on the fence about buying it. One would hope that the "Through the Ages Killer" would not be $70 and wouldn't have terrible art. Component and price-wise, they seem indistinguishable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
cbazler wrote:
I am still on the fence about buying it. One would hope that the "Through the Ages Killer" would not be $70 and wouldn't have terrible art. Component and price-wise, they seem indistinguishable.

I don't get this. Why should a new game "kill" an older one?

With that thinking i should burn all my old copies of AH games.

The question here is: do you want two similar games on the same subject? If you are a Civ fan you will probably get this too. If not, stick with TtA.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
GeoMan wrote:
cbazler wrote:
I am still on the fence about buying it. One would hope that the "Through the Ages Killer" would not be $70 and wouldn't have terrible art. Component and price-wise, they seem indistinguishable.

I don't get this. Why should a new game "kill" an older one?

With that thinking i should burn all my old copies of AH games.

The question here is: do you want two similar games on the same subject? If you are a Civ fan you will probably get this too. If not, stick with TtA.


I was referring to all of the reviews that have stated something similar to that effect. I love TTA and can't see anything replacing it at present. But a new similar-style game with amazing art and components might tempt me...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
GeoMan wrote:
cbazler wrote:
I am still on the fence about buying it. One would hope that the "Through the Ages Killer" would not be $70 and wouldn't have terrible art. Component and price-wise, they seem indistinguishable.

The question here is: do you want two similar games on the same subject? If you are a Civ fan you will probably get this too. If not, stick with TtA.


But there's a problem here. These two games are not similar. Pretty much only in theme are they similar. I know Nations "borrowed" inspiration from TtA, but it ended up being something completely different in terms of the experience it creates compared to the experience found in TtA.

To cbazier, Nations is not a "TtA killer". Far from it. If it killed anything (or replaced--however you want to put it) it replaced Peloponnes to me. It's more similar to Peloponnes than TtA.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
one man's apple is the other's poison. I like what you dont like very much. Have to ddmit I got a "not too interested in learning rules" team. People want to learn as few rules as posible and play the same game as long as possible.
Nations come right in time. The beauty of it lies in its modibility. Unpredictable is not a bad thing in this case. with different house rules you can lean the game towards what your team want. Events hurt too much? no problem, what about house rule it to draw 4 keep two you want? Progress cards too swingy? Lets play draft or substitute several cards as requested every time another player choose cards? There are enomous spaces for imaginations while not touching the core system. Try it

thedacker wrote:
kingbird123 wrote:
...You use about half of the cards per game.
...different situations and thus force players change strategies and tactics in every other game.

These are a couple of the reasons I don't like it as much as many other great games.

It's unpredictable, making it less strategic.

And I would change your last sentence above to read "...change tactics in every round".

Because you use so few of the cards in every game, and because the events dramatically change from turn to turn, players have to switch around their current statuses pretty much every turn. This makes "strategy" non-existent, and turns the game into a turn-for-turn tactical-shuffle. And what's worse, is there is no subtly about it. Every event card lays it out there plain as day what every player needs to do this round. So it has nothing to do with secret plots and/or multi-turn strategies.

It's an okay game, but people who claim it's going to take over the BGG rankings and "Will Rank #1" on BGG are a bit...in the honeymoon phase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
yatescory wrote:
Devil's advocate:


Very high price with low low component quality.

This is a game with less than 400 cards. It may have five times more drawings on the cards then TTA, where most cards are just BLANK cards with descriptions. So no arts is better than poor arts? Personally I think the arts is at least not a nerf. The overall qulity is on par with TTA imho. Anyone here think TTA has better arts than nations? please!
It is just not as luxury as a usual 70 dollar big box. But let's be frank, most expansive FFG big box games are shallow ones with exessive rules and miniatures. Good games sell their concepts, while some others sell components
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
Re: why does NATIONS easily one of the best games you should put in your collection
please check the following links :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/654154/through-the-ages-a...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1776513/nations?size=orig...

and tell me please which arts is better. I am rather confused
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In these forums, I prefer talking about the game as it's intended to be played. I could probably think up a bunch of house rules that could make Candyland a good game too, but I don't.

Again, I think the game is pretty good. I just think it's strange when people claim it is "better" than TtA, or that it replaces it when it's not the same type of game.

kingbird123 wrote:
one man's apple is the other's poison. I like what you dont like very much. Have to ddmit I got a "not too interested in learning rules" team. People want to learn as few rules as posible and play the same game as long as possible.
Nations come right in time. The beauty of it lies in its modibility. Unpredictable is not a bad thing in this case. with different house rules you can lean the game towards what your team want. Events hurt too much? no problem, what about house rule it to draw 4 keep two you want? Progress cards too swingy? Lets play draft or substitute several cards as requested every time another player choose cards? There are enomous spaces for imaginations while not touching the core system. Try it

thedacker wrote:
kingbird123 wrote:
...You use about half of the cards per game.
...different situations and thus force players change strategies and tactics in every other game.

These are a couple of the reasons I don't like it as much as many other great games.

It's unpredictable, making it less strategic.

And I would change your last sentence above to read "...change tactics in every round".

Because you use so few of the cards in every game, and because the events dramatically change from turn to turn, players have to switch around their current statuses pretty much every turn. This makes "strategy" non-existent, and turns the game into a turn-for-turn tactical-shuffle. And what's worse, is there is no subtly about it. Every event card lays it out there plain as day what every player needs to do this round. So it has nothing to do with secret plots and/or multi-turn strategies.

It's an okay game, but people who claim it's going to take over the BGG rankings and "Will Rank #1" on BGG are a bit...in the honeymoon phase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skerasco Veraii
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbird123 wrote:
It is a Euro civilization game with Variable Player Powers that has less than 400 cards.
You use about half of the cards per game. It provide countless replayability by providing different situations and thus force players change strategies and tactics in every other game. You never know what bizzar situation your friends and you would be in. every new game there will be some thing relatively new.
In a word, it is neither an Euro stereotype of dry, abstract non-random dajavu, nor a typical shallow ameritrash with unacceptable swings.
Also, it is very easy to house rule it to meet your group's needs. Addtional cards can be easily added(just like fan's expansions, I see huge potential here). Try it.


Nations is a great game. You'll get all sorts of people trying to bring it down, but quality is just quality. If you know your mind, you know your mind....... well done Nations!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kingbird X
United States
nyc
New York
flag msg tools
kaneAAA wrote:


Nations is a great game. You'll get all sorts of people trying to bring it down, but quality is just quality. If you know your mind, you know your mind....... well done Nations!

what is it that makes it worse than euro standards of components quality? Honestly I do not notice it. Arts on par with TTA, boards are the same as Ora et Labora.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls