Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife and I set this up for our first play today and immediately "Hide in the Shadows" stumped us.

The way it reads the Rogue is invulnerable to all but Black minions and Generals.

I've searched and checked the FAQs and found nothing.

Is there a catch/trick to this ability? If not isn't it horribly over-powered?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, they can scoot around the place unhindered, but it's not a power that helps them DO anything about the bad guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Life is not a game - games are life.
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely not an over-powered ability and Benjamin nailed it as to the reason why. Running around hiding from enemies won't win you the game.

Most of the time, it should be pretty rare that you actually NEED to end your turn on a space with minions and take wounds anyway - regardless of what Hero you are using. The Rogue just has the slight bonus that she doesn't have to worry about it. Have you actually played the game using her? You'll discover quite quickly that this ability is not over-powered.

Welcome to the Realm, James. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that taking damage (by any character) is pretty rare in this game. Most of the time, people plan out to be able to get away from the minions if they don't defeat them by the end of their turn. This ability just makes it to where the rogue doesn't have to keep an action point available for the end of the turn. Not a big balance issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all!

We did our first game and you're right, that Rogue ability is not OP at all

We ended up losing to taint by not killing minions fast enough and trying to prep for the generals too soon.

A couple of other questions:

1. Once a general is defeated, do his color minion still spawn via Darkness Spreads cards?

2. On tainted lands, can quests be pursued while taint crystals exist or do they have to be healed first?

3. Are hero cards earned other than by the Evening phase, the Inn or special cards? (i.e. combat, etc.?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You learn more about a person in an hour of gaming than you do in a year of conversation.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:
1. Once a general is defeated, do his color minion still spawn via Darkness Spreads cards?
Yes. The Minions always spawn no matter what.

Rochambeaux wrote:
2. On tainted lands, can quests be pursued while taint crystals exist or do they have to be healed first?
The land being tainted does not affect your ability to pursue a Quest at that location. Sounds like a good House Rule to make things slightly harder though!

Rochambeaux wrote:
3. Are hero cards earned other than by the Evening phase, the Inn or special cards? (i.e. combat, etc.?)
When a General is defeated, all players that participated in the battle (whether they rolled their dice or not) gain 3 Hero Cards.

You should check out the FAQ. It will answer a lot of your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Actually, hiding in shadows is one of the reasons why I have played my one-character solo with the rogue. Since I need to be able to zip across the board in times of need, that one AP I can save really helps a lot in my opinion. The improved rumor action at the inn combines with this skill very well to make for a very strong lonely character in my experience.

However, as was already pointed out, it will not help you actually defeat the bad guys (^_^;;

In addition, all the skills of the rogue are easily understood/handled, so I consider her very good for beginners (like me), unlike things like shape-changing, which actually add more things to worry about.

Yours,
Deathworks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Rogue is definitely a strong Hero with all of her abilities, no doubt, but I wouldn't call her over-powered.

The Sorceress, on the other hand, is the only base game Hero that I might consider over-powered. However, she is definitely more difficult for a beginner to handle/understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls