Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ting Zhou
United States
Rowland Heights
CA - California
flag msg tools
mb
1. His camp has no effect, but should we put monster tokens on the camp tile during setup?
2. Volkare's army grows as he recruits. Does it mean it is better to encounter him several times to reduce his strength if his army grows too fast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cutievalkyrie wrote:
1. His camp has no effect, but should we put monster tokens on the camp tile during setup?
2. Volkare's army grows as he recruits. Does it mean it is better to encounter him several times to reduce his strength if his army grows too fast?

1. I've been wondering about this myself.
2. The best tactic is to attack him several times, starting on the 5th round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to populating the tile. The camp space (in the center of the tile) is what has no effect--in other scenarios (e.g. substituting Volkare's camp as a city tile in full conquest), you would use the reference card labeled Volkare's camp to know how to interact with the space.

I've found that with Volkare's Return I can typically hold in the city and repel his attacks from there--the extra card draw for being in the city is particularly helpful. For Volkare's Quest, you'll need to pound him early in all but the lowest difficulty setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Chou
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Volkare's Quest a few times - mostly on Medium/Medium difficulty - but I haven't seen a good opportunity to attack him early. At medium difficulty, he has:

1 white
1 grey
2 red
5 green

That's a round 4 army at least. Attacking that earlier than that is probably going to get you knocked out, collect a ton of wounds, or both, with the advantage of taking out a few units. The wounds will slow you down from taking on other interesting sites and interacting.

I won't say there aren't exceptions to it, but I found that the only approach that works for me is to focus on leveling, conquering, and interacting as much as possible in the first 4 rounds, keep an eye on Volkare's progress throughout the map, and then beat him up when he's 1-3 tiles away, trying to finish him off in 2-3 attacks. Since "mega turns" are really beneficial for taking out his huge army, if there's a keep near the portal, then taking out other keeps will help create an awesome staging ground by the portal keep as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls