Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game and have read the rules but I have a question as we got ready for our first game. The Federation player started to draw his fleet and he drew
Voyager size 3
Equinox size 1
Defiant size 3
Reliant size 2
Yosemite size 1

Is this a good draw or are you only allow 3 ships totaling 10 points? Sorry new players and we want to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george bews
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing with a fleet size of 10 this is perfectly fine, you can have as many/few ships as long as the total equals 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heidebrecht
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may draw as many ships as you did or even just 2 sometimes. The thing is that you may move and make a power adjustment for each ship but you will still only have 3 actions to use in any turn - so some of your ships may not be used if you have drafted 5 for actions.

In the same way if you only drafted 2 ships you might not be able to use your 3 actions unless you have special cards which allow a ship to take 2 actions in a turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like the main advantage of a fleet of lots of little ships would be the ability to rapidly explore much of the map and possibly benefit from the exploration related VP.

The disadvantage would be a general weakness in combat and actions due to the lower available stats on individual ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all of the answers, In this case I can move all five ships and explore but can only use 3 actions correct?

We are have a good time so far, I think I know this answer but as long as I ame here the Klingon lost a ship to the event cards so he still gets a +1 to fleet size right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpozsr wrote:
Thanks for all of the answers, In this case I can move all five ships and explore but can only use 3 actions correct?
Correct. You can do almost anything with all 5 ships, like Moving, Exploring, Power Adjustments, etc, but can only use an Action with 3 Ships, and only one Action per Ship, unless you have a card that allows otherwise:

ACTIONS
• Cloaking Actions—engaging Cloaking Devices to make your ships undetectable.
• Combat Actions—attacking opposing starships.
• Influence Actions—taking control of locations and building installations.
• Reinforcement Actions—replacing lost ships in your fleet.
• Repair Actions—removing damage from a ship at an installation.
• Scan Actions—examining unexplored Location Tiles.
• Transporter Actions—moving crew or cargo between ships and planets.
• System Tests — when voluntary, such as when completing a mission.

Quote:
We are have a good time so far, I think I know this answer but as long as I am here the Klingon lost a ship to the event cards so he still gets a +1 to fleet size right?
Correct. It matters not how you lose a Ship. Your Fleet size goes up by one regardless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls