Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just started playing this yesterday (solo) and won my first game on Easy.

Have not been able to win in three tries at Challenging level. The flow of slaves into the Plantations seems pretty overwhelming...

Anyone skillful/lucky enough to win a solo Challenging level game yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't even won it solo on the Easy level!

I've won a couple of times two-player on the harder level without losing. It definitely feels more difficult solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give it a shot this month as part of my 28 days of Freedom challenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried with the Conductor and was 1 slave rescued short, but in the end the plantations filled up way too fast and I lost due to too many lost slaves.
You're right, it does seem like the flow of slaves into the plantations is overwhelming.
I'll try again soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried again.....no chance!!
The opposition cards are so brutal if they trigger becaue you have no time to deal with the consequences. I'll keep trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it!

Turn 7 difficult solo win.
I needed 5 more slaves to free and the final support token to purchase at the beginning of the turn. I purchased a fundraising token and the 3--->2 coductor token. The fundraising token gave me 6$ and with my special ability (Stockholder), I purchased the final support token. I moved 3 slaves from New York to Canada and needed 2 more for the win on that turn while at the same time making a bit more room in the plantations. Thank goodness for Harriet Tubman!! Maybe the most powerful card in the game. She moved 2 slaves from a plantation directly to Canada and gave me the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done, Matt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wink
United States
Eagleville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpin wrote:

You're right, it does seem like the flow of slaves into the plantations is overwhelming.
I totally agree. I'm beginning to think the only way to win solo is to play 2 roles. Without that second role in place to give you extra cube movement, the waves coming from the 'ships' seems impossible to beat back. You'd also need to be real lucky with you deck draws and the timing and severity of the negative cards.

There is probably a way to statistically analyze your odds with respect to avg slaves arriving per ship/turn and avg number of movement points available/turn for a single role. I imagine you'd have to be extremely efficient.

Does anyone feel like any particular role is best for attempting a solo win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The solo win is pretty doable with any of the roles at the normal difficulty. It's not easy but it can be done most of the time, at least in my experience. The pure solo win at the higher difficulty is the real challenge.
I think the Stockholder is the best role for the solo game. That extra purchase can make a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls