Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Hidden Passage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hidden Passage

Black Fang has established himself at the peak of the mountain, and the vile cult that worships him have entrenched themselves along the crest. So far, attempts to reconnoiter his fortifications have been met with a hail of crossbow bolts. Though his defenses seem impregnable, he has one weakness.

Legend has it that somewhere within Sandpoint there is a secret passage to the top of the mountain. Black Fang has heard the rumors, too, and he has sent his elite corps of undead ancient skeletons to find and block the passage at the source. But there is a fleeting opportunity for your party to find it first, get to the top of the mountain and defeat the dragon.

The citizens of Sandpoint are too intimidated to point you to the hidden passage, so it looks like you will have to find it yourself.

1 Temple
1 Treacherous Cave
1 Guard Tower
2 Farmhouse
3 Academy
4 Apothecary
5 Village House
6 General Store

Special Rules
1. Prepare the location deck for the Mountain Peak. Lay the location deck aside for now without any henchmen or villain.
2. Prepare the other location decks as usual. Shuffle Black Fang in with the appropriate number of Ancient Skeletons, and assign one card to each of the locations (but not the Mountain Peak location.)
3. Play the game normally until Black Fang is encountered.
4. As soon as Black Fang is encountered, the hero(es) who are at the location where the card was revealed automatically and immediately close the location they are currently at and move to the Mountain Peak location deck. Take Black Fang and shuffle him into the Mountain Peak location deck. The idea is that when you find Black Fang, you’ve actually found the hidden path to the Mountain Peak.
5. Play continues normally, except that heroes may no longer move away from any open locations. They are stuck in place until they can close their location. Any hero who begins his/her turn at a closed location can automatically move to the Mountain Peak location, joining the other heroes there.
6. If you defeat Black Fang in time, you win. When you fight Black Fang, he cannot escape, so you do not have to close other locations.

Reward: Each player may turn in one boon card in their deck and draw a random boon of the same type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool! Question, can Mountain Peak be revealed by an action other than exploring (e.g. Augury or Spyglass)? Does examining the card count as revealing? Is the location closed automatically, or do the heroes have to make a check? Edit: I especially like the reward, which slots in nicely into the Adventure Path as a nice thing to have at any point in the campaign without offsetting the balance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Byron--My intent was that only when the Mountain Peak is actually revealed does the special condition occur.

However--The idea of finding the Mountain Peak before revealing it is crucial, because until it's actually revealed, heroes can move to the location where it's hidden, so that there are more heroes at the Mountain Peak sooner. Harsk's ability to see, or using the Spy Glass would be very helpful.

I'm trying to simulate Black Fang putting out a desperate call to his Ancient Skeleton agents to keep the other heroes distracted so that he can deal with the intruder(s). Thus, the heroes can't use the hidden passage until they start their turn at a closed location.

Does that work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And, yes, the location where the Mountain Peak card was revealed is automatically closed immediately.

I'll edit the original post to make that clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it, but i can think of a game where i would pass on actually taking the reward. If i claimed very no boons and have to turn in a boon to get another one of the same type, i dont think i have much incentive to lose something mediocre from my deck for something that could be poor.

Now, if i acquired lots of cruddly boons, then i would be perfectly willing to dump, say, a short sword for maybe a sword of awesomeness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I don't see it as much different than those rewards where you get to choose a boon type and then take a random card. In many cases, I just toss the one I got, but sometimes you score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's not much different. But, for instance, if I only acquire items and allies during the mission, I would not choose to turn in a weapon from my deck because the chance of getting a weapon I like is pretty low. However, since there are items and allies that I am going to toss, I may as well exchange one of those to see if I get something even better.

My first impression was to dislike the reward based on that fact, but now, I kinda like the idea that your reward is limited by what types of boons you acquire during play. it adds interest to the reward rather than jut a pain old vanilla - pick a boon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to change the scenario slightly, based on input from Hawkmoon. The idea now is that the Black Fang card is shuffled into a normal location deck as you would usually do. But when you encounter him, what you've really found is the hidden path to the Mountain Peak. Thus, you immediately close your location, shuffle Black Fang into the Mountain Peak deck, and move the heroes who found the path to the Mountain Peak. Other heroes can follow once they start their turn at a closed location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls