27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New wanna be gamer with small family. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
amer unis
msg tools
Could anyone recommend a good gaming table to purchase. I saw some at game chic website but a long wait time.

I ordered a wood fold up table 32 by 32 inches from Amazon for now and will get some chairs from Costco.

Would this size work for games such as Settlers? (i have not bought this game yet.

secondly, seems like settlers is the game to start with? and I am a newbie.

what would you recommend for a family of three?. My son is 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off welcome to the best gamer website in the universe. cool

It sounds like you are planning on investing a good bit in games and all, your table may work alright for now though really there are a lot of games that could take up more room than that.

Settlers is a game that many know but really it isn't quite the best of the best because it is very dependent on the dice in the early going. Other good starter games would be Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island. They should all be easy enough for an 8 year old to grasp to start though there are of course kids versions of Carcassonne and Settlers too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy hoggan
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 11 and he really enjoys Legendary:Marvel A Deck Building Game
Puzzle Strike
Eight Minute Empires Legend
Dungeon Roll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amer unis
msg tools
actually we have a son, and he is 8. So just the three of us.

Thanks for the leads guys !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend Forbidden Island as well. It's a great bang for your buck game. ~$15 on Amazon

I would also take a look at King of Tokyo for a fun light dice game with similar mechanics to Yahtzee but with monsters fighting thrown in

Other good bang for your buck games - Love Letter, Hanabi

Good luck and welcome to the Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for Forbidden Desert instead of Forbidden Island. Settlers is fine. But Ticket to Ride is also great. Love Letter and Hanabi are both great little card games.

Other games that are great for this stage are Coloretto, Carcassonne, Cartagena, and Hey, That's My Fish!

Welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
consider Bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robbdaman wrote:
First off welcome to the best gamer website in the universe. cool

It sounds like you are planning on investing a good bit in games and all, your table may work alright for now though really there are a lot of games that could take up more room than that.

Other good starter games would be Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island.

I totally agree and cannot recommend these enough. I recently purchased Carcassonne South Seas and the kids loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
For a family trying to get a *little* ahead of the curve, I would suggest Small World would be perfect. Bypass Settlers and Carcasonne I say and go for a game that contains fun and character. Carcasonne is great, but it's not funny or anything like that. Also Small World has a board and so looks and feels more "normal" even though there's a load of great stuff going on in it.

I wouldn't recommend Forbidden Island. A Co op as a first game? Maybe the 5th game but it's a very odd start I think.

TTR also does a great job of a first game, but go on... SMALL WORLD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Inigo
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Like most people, I'd recommend Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Forbidden Island as these are all fantastic starting games. I'm not exactly sure if Catan would be a good starting game, as there's resources to keep track and bartering involved, but you could try it out. I'd also add Alhambra to the mix and round out the European style games everyone's mentioned.

I also want to add Tsuro for a little bit quicker game, and 7 Wonders as a starting card game. Both have gone really well with our casual groups and the games typically take 30-45 minutes to finish.

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pfff, dont listen to all the above posters suggesting various gateway, just jump straight into the deep end and order Mage Knight .
Its a perfect starter game because you'll know (if your familily survives) that they can deal with any kind of game after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Passick
United States
Charlotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby sir. As someone fairly new to it myself I can assure you it is a good way to get some time in with your friends and fam. Can't really comment on your table situation as I'm pretty awful with measurements but as someone who's fresh in the hobby I thought I'd share some game tips with you.

Settlers of Catan Is a really good game but I've found that it's more relaxing than anything else so some kids can find it a little boring. Obviously you'd be the best judge of whether your son could get into it. Also, it plays best with four players so that's another thing to keep in mind.

King of Tokyo, Love Letter, and Ticket to Ride are all some great gateway games (the first two being huge hits for my group). Lords of Waterdeep is another great title for drawing people into gaming.

A few more games to consider for your Family are Takenoko, Rise of Augustus, Formula D, Steam Park, Qwirkle, and really just about anything published by Days of Wonder. They all have easy to understand rules and solid gameplay that keeps everyone interested.

Hope you find your starting games and that they're a hit with the family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shamushark wrote:
Could anyone recommend a good gaming table to purchase. I saw some at game chic website but a long wait time.

I ordered a wood fold up table 32 by 32 inches from Amazon for now and will get some chairs from Costco.

Would this size work for games such as Settlers? (i have not bought this game yet.

secondly, seems like settlers is the game to start with? and I am a newbie.

what would you recommend for a family of three?. My son is 8.
I started with Carcassonne, which I personally like better than Catan, but I think they're both good gateway games and both really fun!

I can't help you with your table problem, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jones
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not so certain a 32x32 would work with Catan. Maybe it's just because I like a lot of space when I game. The map would certainly fit on it but it wouldn't give the players a whole lot to lay their pieces. Or maybe it's because I have the older version that came with a ring of water tiles that makes it slightly bigger. It should work fine for Carcassonne and Forbidden Island and probably most your basic gateway games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Frogking wrote:
It should work fine for Carcassonne
but NOT with Carcassonne, traders and builders, Dragon and Princess, Tower, Inns and Cathedrals!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amer unis
msg tools
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Yes, some of you can tell, one reason I am taking this up as a hobby is to spend more time with wife and child.

love fantasy and D and D stuff, but its been ages and have such little time.

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas. Nice to meet you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amer unis
msg tools
I ordered a BBO poker nighthawk gaming table without the chip tray today.

Will also order a geek chic table. trying to decide which one, maybe emissary I think. Would be nice to have in the home.

Delivery time for geek chic exceeds a year !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
shamushark wrote:

Will also order a geek chic table. trying to decide which one, maybe emissary I think. Would be nice to have in the home.

You could get a LOT of games for the price of that Geek Chic table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hiley
United Kingdom
Croydon
Surrey
flag msg tools
Another recommendation here for Forbidden Island/Desert. Coop is perfect for young kids as you either all win or all lose. Given that and you said that you liked D&D then you definitely need to check out Mice and Mystics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quintious .
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shamushark wrote:

It's more like 2 years. As much as I like their furniture (I've got a Vizier coming in a couple of months), that is a massive expense when you're just getting into the hobby. The Emissary, if I recall, only comes in at about 4 grand, but that's still substantial. A kitchen table works for the vast majority of gamers, and for most of whomever is left, poker tables tend to do the trick. The Geek Chic stuff is for those of us who have truly lost our marbles. Not saying it's not an appropriate purchase, but you might want to hold off on that till you're playing something more in-depth than Catan, which can easily be cleared off and put away on a moment's notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Willis
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hey, That's My Fish!
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Smash Up
Shadows over Camelot
Through the Desert
King of Tokyo
Forbidden Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Willis
United States
California
flag msg tools
Pouvla wrote:
Pfff, dont listen to all the above posters suggesting various gateway, just jump straight into the deep end and order Mage Knight .
Its a perfect starter game because you'll know (if your familily survives) that they can deal with any kind of game after that.

Do not listen to this crazy man! :-p That game is far too complicated. Haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renee Thorson
United States
Albert Lea
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an 8 yr old son who I game with regularly. Alhough he can play Catan,Ticket to Ride and Carcassone just fine, he finds them boring. He needs a theme that is a bit more exciting to an 8 yr old to enjoy the game and want to play. He absolutely LOVES Castle Panic and will ask to play it all the time and play it on his own with friends. Other games that have been a hit with him are King of Tokyo, Survive:Escape from Atlantis, Flash Point Fire Rescue, Forbidden Island and Forbidden Dessert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
shamushark wrote:
Yes, some of you can tell, one reason I am taking this up as a hobby is to spend more time with wife and child.

love fantasy and D and D stuff, but its been ages and have such little time.
My 7 year old loves Dungeon!. But I definitely have to put a little story telling flare to it to keep them interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my list of games to consider:

7 wonders
Apples to apples junior
Bang the dive game
Black pirate by Haba