Popular Tags: [View All]
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a bit of think about the Thief card.
It appears that there is a misprint with the details of this card.
But the thought of the card costing 1 week to get & 1 week to play & the playing of the card being take 1 card & take what you get, doesn't sound that great to me & doesn't really ring true for me thematically.

My proposal is,

Costs 3 weeks to acquire - same as Tomb Raider.
Costs 2 weeks to use.

Use - The player draws cards from the dig site until the first artifact is found.
The player takes this card, then shuffles the remaining dig site cards & returns them to their place.

Thematically I think that it works.

- you have to search around to find a thief just as you would have to do, to find a tomb raider, so the acquisition cost should be the same.
- the thief really doesn't care what they get, they just want to get something. This being the case, the thief isn't going to take as much time to look for the good stuff, but is happy to make off with the first thing they find, so the cost should be half as long.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have been thinking about the above & thematically, I have been assuming that the player has tracked down a thief who he then sends to get the first artifact that can be found.

Of course, if the thief is attempting to hock a previously acquired artifact, then maybe it would be,

Costs 1 week to find the thief.
Costs 1 week for each card that was drawn to find the artifact +1 to use.

Anyway, would be interested in what others think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul65 wrote:
I've had a bit of think about the Thief card.
It appears that there is a misprint with the details of this card.
But the thought of the card costing 1 week to get & 1 week to play & the playing of the card being take 1 card & take what you get, doesn't sound that great to me & doesn't really ring true for me thematically.

My proposal is,

Costs 3 weeks to acquire - same as Tomb Raider.
Costs 2 weeks to use.

Use - The player draws cards from the dig site until the first artifact is found.
The player takes this card, then shuffles the remaining dig site cards & returns them to their place.

Thematically I think that it works.

- you have to search around to find a thief just as you would have to do, to find a tomb raider, so the acquisition cost should be the same.
- the thief really doesn't care what they get, they just want to get something. This being the case, the thief isn't going to take as much time to look for the good stuff, but is happy to make off with the first thing they find, so the cost should be half as long.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

I like it enough to make it permanent. I had to hack my card anyway, so why not the rule for it as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kohn Jevinston
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thematically, Thief should just steal 1 card of that type from another player, drawn randomly from the artifacts they have (so the Thief would be guaranteed at least 1 point*). Strategically you could use it after someone has played Tomb Raider, or to prevent them from having the card combinations to claim Exhibitions and/or get that 1 card you need to do the same.

Would make it more interesting rather than have it just be a really weak (pointless?) version of a Tomb Raider. Further, I think the 3/4 values as (mis)printed actually would work fine, and the diagram on the card still makes sense too. In fact, you could remove these cards from the game altogether as an option if other players don't like the cutthroat nature.

Personally as it stands I just find the Tomb Raiders to be excessively powerful when compared to the other cards (e.g. Assistant, Scientist, Thief) so as to make using those other cards quite questionable as a strategy, considering there are very few of them in the deck.

* As a modifier to the 1-point guarantee, consider adding the special Professor and/or Knowledge card into your hand to be stolen from, if you have them (since those cards have the same colored backs to them). In this way, they would be a sort of defense equivalent to the Thief drawing rubble, since stealing knowledge doesn't make much sense. So if I have yellow 5 and 6 artifacts plus the yellow Professor card for having the most yellow books, then there is a 1 in 3 chance the Thief will not successfully steal a good artifact from me. You can also say you "outsmarted" the Thief to avoid being stolen from... totally thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An interesting thought, but a little too cutthroat for a family game, at least in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.