Hide
12 Posts

Heroes Wanted» Forums » General

Subject: My biggest concern rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A B
msg tools
First off, I'll say this game looks amazing and I WANT to back it. Love the theme and basic ideas. My concern: the many, many game pieces. Im worried it'll feel clunky and not very streamlined. Will the many tokens, meeples, modular cards, etc make set up and maneuvering the board a chore? You have 5 headline pieces with VP tokens on top of them, 5 special power tokens on your race card, a quirk card with token on top, a villain track with token, injury tokens, event tokens, a VP track with markers, tons of meeples, etc.

Not sure I know how to fix it, though. Maybe make the quirk card a set penalty without a track, or the headlines fixed as part of the board rather than modular? Just brainstorming ideas to reduce the moving parts burden...

Anyone agree? Disagree?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have a point, however it can't be any worse than the average worker placement Euro game, and many people enjoy those, myself included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis R. Chance
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Setup is no longer than most games in truth, even with hero selection. The design is clean, despite the seeming quantity of bits. We have worked on this for a year, and, I personally guarantee that it has the same standard of design quality as my first game Infamy. The most tedious part of setup would be placing minions, which, is really only the case for 2 of the 4 scenarios. Maybe 2 mins, tops. And that would be if you were taking your time and talking to your friends.

In essence, you have 2 hero cards, a 7 card hand of actions, a bonus card with the tokens which you place on headlines to mark them (think of these as control markers in other games), and a quirk, if playing with them. By comparison, this is less than most games of this weight, esp. for one that can play in under 60 mins.

We have more review content coming, if that is helpful. A new vid posts tomorrow in fact from Board Game Brawl. I hope this helps! If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask here or message me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
KILLER QUEEN: BITES THE DUST!
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I played and reviewed a prototype of the game that was very, very close to what the final product will be (same amount of pieces, just not final quality). And really, it wasn't a problem for me and my group at all. Perhaps it's because I've just played so many games with a tremendous amount of pieces (Eldritch Horror most recently), but Heroes Wanted isn't even in the ballpark of excessive pieces and fiddliness.

As far as set-up, it's fairly quick. Teaching the game is easy, too, and once everyone knows what to do as far as choosing and placing the cards and tokens, that will save you even more time for set-up in future games. The only stumbling block is learning the special rules of a new scenario which might require different piece placement, but that's not tough at all, and it's the price you pay for having such a diverse amount of stuff in the game.

If I HAD to pick the most fiddly thing, it would be putting out the minions. But once you do the initial placement, it's rare that you'll have to put more of them out (and only in certain scenarios).

I really wouldn't worry about it. I would put it somewhere along the line of Seasons in fiddliness (I can set that game up in my sleep).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A B
msg tools
Excellent points! Thanks guys for the responses, definitely assuages my concerns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Appleton
msg tools
IOS App would be a great solution.... you could sit there with your iPad as your game board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiffany Leigh
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding to what has been said: I think that other superhero games (specifically Sentinels of the Multiverse and LEGENDARY) have a set up/tear down that is colossally more fiddly, and all those games have are cards.
And this one is maybe 20% of a game of Agricola's heft and girth.

If you mean that the gameplay may be too fiddly, I don't get the sense that much of it is fiddly for fiddly's sake. Choosing heroes and villains are part of the game itself, not just setup. The headlines are a one-time random setup at the beginning. The minion setup on the scenario board is no different than setting up a game of chess or any other tabletop-style skirmish. After that, anything on the board is moving when gameplay dictates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sounds like part of WoozelWuzzle's concern is that there are a lot of things on the table. Having played with some clumsy gamers on a regular basis, I can see the concern for chits on top of cards on top of boards.

But overall, I don't think I am concerned about this game's bits and fiddliness any more than your average game. Looking at other games in my collection, it seems fair for what it needs to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
hackryder wrote:
Adding to what has been said: I think that other superhero games (specifically Sentinels of the Multiverse and LEGENDARY) have a set up/tear down that is colossally more fiddly, and all those games have are cards.

I thought that, too, but I love those games and didn't want to throw them under the bus. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hackryder wrote:

How is setup for Sentinels fiddly? All you have to do is pick a hero, shuffle, pick an environment, shuffle, and pick a villian (sometimes pulling cards out of the deck to start) and shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Meenachan
United States
Delray Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
ShaRog Master Race
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
hackryder wrote:

How is setup for Sentinels fiddly? All you have to do is pick a hero, shuffle, pick an environment, shuffle, and pick a villian (sometimes pulling cards out of the deck to start) and shuffle.

I don't mind the setup of Sentinels, it's the fiddliness of the turn-to-turn gameplay that can be annoying: constantly moving tokens around, double-checking math, etc. (I'm playing Devil's Advocate though, since this is my number five game of all time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Byer
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels doesn't feel so much fiddly to me as it is more of an excercise in bookkeeping. The few times my group played we routinely missed triggers or effects that we couldn't easily go back and fix. There is just so much going on on ALL the cards.

Heroes Wanted on the other hand is a simple set up with generally few moving parts once the game is set up, and even in the event that a token gets bumped or tokens are moved it's very easy to pause and double check everything is in the right spot because the elements self check. So for instance if the score track was bumped I could easily look at my player sheet and recalculate my score because all the scoring is fixed, or if one of my headline tokens was bumped I could reference the tokens on my sheet and see what I had actually accomplished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls