Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I just missing it? Can you point me to an example of this taking place?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
LordHellfury wrote:
Addendum: Allow me to cut off at the pass right now, those who would say "Well, if you dont like it, dont read it".
Off the top of my head, I know of two ongoing discussions which deal with the legalese you despise and get regular front page-exposure. Occasionally there is a n00b question about files or images which is perfectly understandable. On the whole, I truly have no idea what you're talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if what you're saying is legally valid. Arp Sequim, Quid Malberg and Plano.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Copyrights and trademarks are frequent worrisome areas for board games, miniatures gaming, scale modeling, computer gaming, and who knows what else.

At least that's my guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Create an RSP-like subforum for legal discussions would be just great.
"Esq."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
I'm puzzled too. The vast majority of threads I read at BGG have no discussion about the legal stuff being complained about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:

Up Front? Heroquest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But what does this thread mean for Up Front?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
And while you're at it how about a soapbox forum?

I'd totally be all over that.
This message sounds even better if you read it in Brian Griffin's voice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not legal to tell me where and when I can discuss the finer points of law.

That's like freedom of speech, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
I really wish I could find a site where I could discuss boardgames without numerous threads devolving into a harangue of armchair lawyers coming in and offering their unsolicited legal advice.

Seriously. It is getting a bit much around here. There is nary a thread that doesnt have some quip thrown in about such and such legalities, even when there is scant reason to make such a quip.

Can we create a section of this site where things get thrown when the discussion devolves to that level? I mean devolve, because generally threads become hijacked with such off topic banter.

Create an RSP-like subforum for legal discussions would be just great. Freeing up the rest of the site for those who are just godawful sick of reading about a subject which is largely irrelevant since BoardGameGeek is not a court of law.

There are perfectly good threads to discuss such potential legal issues. Threads dedicated to the subject of copyright, IP, and trademark law concerning board games. Why do threads that are not dedicated to legal subjects have to sustain this?

Please mods. Please. Help stop the madness this site is coursing towards.

Addendum: Allow me to cut off at the pass right now, those who would say "Well, if you dont like it, dont read it".
I am talking about threads whose topic has nothing to do with legal shenanigans. Such legal discussions are off topic. And should be moderated as such. In short, if you want to talk about such subjects, go to the relevant place and stop dragging perfectly good discussions that have nothing to do with that down. Show off your legal knowledge (or lack thereof) there.

[/soapbox]

Amen to that, this is why I detest posting to this site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
And while you're at it how about a soapbox forum?

I'd totally be all over that.
This message sounds even better if you read it in Brian Griffin's voice.

Doesn't everything?

This BGG post and any information transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this message in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this post. Please notify the sender immediately by GeekMail if you have received this post by mistake and delete this post from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via the internet. The recipient should check this post and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The original poster accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this post. BGG post transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The poster therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of post transmission.

Warning: Although the original poster has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this post, the original poster cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this post or attachments.

No employee or agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of the original poster with another party by BGG post without express written confirmation by the original poster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
What's even better is being told, like I was, that there was a lack of gratitude for all the pro bono legal opinion being provided. Of course, this was the Up Front thread. 300+ pages and the question remains unanswered. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
I am talking about threads whose topic has nothing to do with legal shenanigans.
Are we not going to get some examples of this phenomenon which apparently happens in every thread you look at? (Or is the OP some kind of irony which I'm not grokking?)

We're not talking about obviously legal-shenanigan-related threads like the Up Front discussion, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls