Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
79 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition» Forums » General

Subject: HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Edition: 3 extra days on Lanzanos! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two days ago at 448'000 € all the SG were out (Moncar & Zargon too).

A lot of backers joined to te project during this week end:

634'841 € right now.

There are 3 extra days to support the project here on Lanzanos:

http://www.lanzanos.com/proyectos/heroquest-25-aniversario/n...

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there aren't really any exclusives, I wonder why risk the chance of it not being made and just buy it later after all the legal dust has settled?

-shnar
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll probably cost more.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
Avatar
mbmb
It may also be hard for us to get stateside, since it's not yet clear that it will be sold here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vexi
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
It'll probably cost more.
Maybe, but then you can be sure if the game is even good and actually worth buying. Currently we know only that the minis seem good. That, of course, may be enough for some people, but they are still paying for the other stuff in the box too. I'll gladly pay slightly more if it actually manages to hit the shelves and really is better (which I highly doubt) than Descent, D&D boardgames, Mice & Mystics or any other generic fantasy dungeon crawler out there. There's too many risks in this project for me to put my money on it. But that's just me. To each his own.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly? I'm in for the figures and the modular board. I could care less about the rules. I plan to use this to play the old HQ game with my neighbor's kids and mine when he's old enough.

I don't own the original anymore. This was the nicest looking replacement I have seen.

I suspect that most nay-sayers on this board own the original while most of the people backing the new had the game but don't anymore. Agreed?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vexi
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
Honestly? I'm in for the figures and the modular board. I could care less about the rules.
How about the quests, cards and sheets? Do you care about those? There's no information about those either. And if the project page and website is any indication all the text in the game may be written in "spanglish".

Sydcomebak wrote:
I suspect that most nay-sayers on this board own the original while most of the people backing the new had the game but don't anymore. Agreed?
I really hope this is not the case. The game, the actual game (rules, cards, sheets, story, quests etc.) wont propably have much, if any, in common with the original to avoid the legal issues. So there's no reason to get it as a replacement of the original.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
I suspect that most nay-sayers on this board own the original while most of the people backing the new had the game but don't anymore. Agreed?
No, the "naysayers" are trying to warn people that there are some legal issues that are very likely to fall on GameZone, so be careful, a lot of the money being raised now will not be used to make the game but rather to defend themselves in court. It's happened to other Kickstarters, and so I am waiting this one out to see if it falls apart or not.

There's also a group of "naysayers" that are saying GZ is being unethical and lying about what it is and isn't telling its customers...

-shnar
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never heard about any issue here on BGG about HG25AE in any topic.

It'd be nice to talk about that here.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
No, the "naysayers" are trying to warn people that there are some legal issues that are very likely to fall on GameZone, so be careful, a lot of the money being raised now will not be used to make the game but rather to defend themselves in court. It's happened to other Kickstarters, and so I am waiting this one out to see if it falls apart or not.

So you don't currently own the original HQ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dorward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Live to game
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
So you don't currently own the original HQ?

I can't speak for shnar, but I don't and I wouldn't touch this not-kickstarter with a 10' pole. Collapsable or otherwise.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never owned any HeroQuest game and don't plan on buying any. I still think GZ is a bunch of liars who have tricked people into supporting them.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought a number of GZ miniatures.
I love them, more than I love any GW product. Service-wise, my impression was a stabil, professional one.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dorward wrote:
Sydcomebak wrote:
So you don't currently own the original HQ?

I can't speak for shnar, but I don't and I wouldn't touch this not-kickstarter with a 10' pole. Collapsable or otherwise.

I also don't own it, and would also not go near this kickstarter because it is an unlicensed product, and chances that it will end up in litigation are pretty high in my opinion.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
Honestly? I'm in for the figures and the modular board. I could care less about the rules. I plan to use this to play the old HQ game with my neighbor's kids and mine when he's old enough.

I don't own the original anymore. This was the nicest looking replacement I have seen.

I suspect that most nay-sayers on this board own the original while most of the people backing the new had the game but don't anymore. Agreed?

I'm a naysayer, and I've never owned a copy. My dad has one (which he's holding on to), but I've never played through the entire quest line.

The board's not all that hard to replicate, and coming up with figures...made be people not trampling on someone else's IP...would be pretty easy. And likely less costly.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
I'm a naysayer, and I've never owned a copy. My dad has one (which he's holding on to), but I've never played through the entire quest line.

That's some quite fine hair-splitting for you. You own a copy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
Honestly? I'm in for the figures and the modular board. I could care less about the rules. I plan to use this to play the old HQ game with my neighbor's kids and mine when he's old enough.

I don't own the original anymore. This was the nicest looking replacement I have seen.

I suspect that most nay-sayers on this board own the original while most of the people backing the new had the game but don't anymore. Agreed?
I used to own several copies of the game, plus expansions and extra bits. I sold it all years ago since I felt I outgrew that gaming system. I was originally VERY excited about and interested in the "25th Anniversary" edition since they advertised increased depth of play. Having said that, I'm 100% against the project at this point (although I don't get involved with the endless discussion very much). If an official remake was released, however, then I'd very likely buy it.

While the legal issues with the game completely turn me off from supporting the project, I'm also not convinced that GZ will produce the quality of game that I want. After looking more into their company, campaign, etc., I still wouldn't back this project even if the legal issues were put to rest.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
kingbobb wrote:
I'm a naysayer, and I've never owned a copy. My dad has one (which he's holding on to), but I've never played through the entire quest line.

That's some quite fine hair-splitting for you. You own a copy.

Not to make this worse, but is there any reason to call him out on this? It seems a bit antagonistic. He could have any number of valid reasons for saying his dad owns a copy but he doesn't:

-Isn't close with his father
-Doesn't live near his father
-His father is over protective of his collectibles
-etc

I think it behooves us all to just accept what someone says about their personal situation when it comes to a topic where things are already constantly at ignition point.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
shnar wrote:
No, the "naysayers" are trying to warn people that there are some legal issues that are very likely to fall on GameZone, so be careful, a lot of the money being raised now will not be used to make the game but rather to defend themselves in court. It's happened to other Kickstarters, and so I am waiting this one out to see if it falls apart or not.

So you don't currently own the original HQ?
Of course I own it. I've owned a few copies over the years

And while I'd love an updated copy, I'm not about to put over $100 at risk until I'm 100% positive all the legalities have been resolved (which they haven't). I'm not trying to say who is right or wrong, I just want them completely settled, then I'll know that if I buy the game it won't be wasted money (there is the ethical question as well, but I won't get into that here).

Ironically, last I checked it was cheaper to just buy an original HQ than risk your money on this version (I bought my current copy during the lull of a few years ago at $25).

-shnar
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Campbell
Canada
Spruce Grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sydcomebak wrote:
It'll probably cost more.

It'll cost more money to lose your pledge in a legal battle than to either buy a copy second (twelfth?) hand or make your own copy from the high quality scans that Hasbro allows to be circulated.

And no. I don't have a copy of the original. Naysaying does not equal ownership. Naysaying equals realizing that this is a mess and not wanting to touch it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peck
United States
Frisco
TX
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ScooterinAB wrote:
And no. I don't have a copy of the original. Naysaying does not equal ownership. Naysaying equals realizing that this is a mess and not wanting to touch it.

It may not equate, but it does seem to be more likely.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
Now that we can see what the entire game offers, I feel sorry for anyone who held out on Shadows over Brimstone waiting to pledge on this.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fregoso

La Spezia
Italy
msg tools
Black Metal Geek
badge
NO FUN - NO CORE - NO TRENDS - NO MOSH
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Now that we can see what the entire game offers, I feel sorry for anyone who held out on Shadows over Brimstone waiting to pledge on this.
don't feel sorry, poor guy. I'm happy about my pledge.
There are so many much more important things in this world to feel sorry about.
I feel sorry, for example, about people that have so much time in their lives to spend with something they are not interested in, instead of getting a real life. Of course it's not your case, I'm speaking in general.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agzaroth wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Now that we can see what the entire game offers, I feel sorry for anyone who held out on Shadows over Brimstone waiting to pledge on this.
don't feel sorry, poor guy. I'm happy about my pledge.
There are so many much more important things in this world to feel sorry about.
I feel sorry, for example, about people that have so much time in their lives to spend with something they are not interested in, instead of getting a real life. Of course it's not your case, I'm speaking in general.
There are two reasons to sympathize with the HQ25 backers: 1) the amount being spent for what is being promised is rather small compared to other games (like the aforementioned Shadows Over Brimstone) and 2) the chances of the game never seeing light of day are high and your money may be wasted.

I sincerely hope this game gets made, I just don't have the faith that it will get made, and thus didn't back the project. And ultimately since there is almost nothing exclusive to the Lazanos project, why risk the money now when you can just buy it later if it does actually get made?

-shnar
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any American who freely admits to back the project gets 1 GG for his bravery.

Besides, I really don't get all this.

Does the legal situation (European vs US rights) make you guys jealous?

I seriously doubt that most of you have any moral issues about the game being made without green light from the US.

What is it then?

The way GZ didn't react on...rant?

Why don't you just unsubscribe and move on?

Please forgive me, but I slowly start getting tired of this counter campaign.
3 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |