Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex N
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone please explain the best way to manage the numerous units on the board including the standup generals and their corresponding counters? I've only played this game twice but haven't figured out if it's better placing all the units into their assigned general boxes along the edge of the board or should one leave everything on the map? Also where do the standup generals go? On the map or into their named boxes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Peacock
Canada
Montréal
quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it's a question of personal preferences.
The advantage of using the generals' boxes is you can easily see who has which units and it unclutters the board.

As for the standup, again it's a personal preference, some prefer the counter, others prefer the standups. They would go on the board, except when being "carried" by an other general, in which case they would go to that general box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff curtis
United States
west allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
When we play, there is never a unit on the map unless it is without a leader. All units are kept in the holding box of the personality commanding them (including subordinates)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Alexopoulos
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my FtF games, we use the holding boxes for subordinates and units. We use the stand-up counters for the commanding generals. Forts, stockades, miscellaneous markers, and units without generals are on the map. I like the stand-up counters because it's easier to grab and move them around. The holding boxes allow the players to see the units easily and eliminate the need to shuffle large stacks of units around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played many games FTF, stopped counting at 100.

I always use the flat counters. I put all leaders and troops on the board, except for the one largest army. For the largest army, I keep all the leaders on the board and put the troops off board in 3 counter stacks for ease of determining total strength.

I do not use the leader boxes at all. The boxes are too small for the large army, and not needed if only 4 units or so.

I agree it is personal preference.

And with Vassal, no need at all for leader boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal preference is to use the rand ups for commanding generals, use square leaders for either subordinates or leaders on the map without units, and to put all subordinates in boxes.

All the options given above make sense to me also.

Cheers! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
cliffote2 wrote:
When we play, there is never a unit on the map unless it is without a leader. All units are kept in the holding box of the personality commanding them (including subordinates)

This is precisely how I do it, using the counters rather than the stand-ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff curtis
United States
west allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
For Sure, it makes for a nice tidy board and you can evaluate your opponents strength at a glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.