Kaitlyn Van Sorrel
Malandrax Mecchi
Tanis Trilves
Gaspar Geddon
Iaxus the Shattered
Endrbyt
      35 answers
Poll created by ClanNatioy
Sorry if this has been brought up before but I couldn't find it, it if had been.

I was curious which characters people were playing. Just to see who's popular and to see what characters aren't very popular.

The characters I like and would enjoy getting good with and plan on playing most often are
Adjenna - I really like having the alternate win condition. I also like the characters that like to get in close and she has her own unique twist on why she wants to get in.
Cesar - Another character that wrecks up close. I like playing for the super turn. I also really like that he has an anti dash card which makes getting put in the corner by this guy actually scary.
Zaamassal - I really like his versatility and how he can adjust his game depending on the situation/opponent
Demitras - His fast dodge and poke game to build up for a massive strike is lots of fun and is quite interesting.
Khadath - It is very satisfying to get the perfect set up and get the opponent on top of your gate marker.
Iaxus - I'm kind of on the fence about this guy. He has some cool options but his cards hit at weird ranges and he can be tough to set up. Also he can have some really cool turns when his plains collapse but he doesn't have any way to stop a dash and those can ruin his collapse turns. Luckily he has ways to add an extra growth counter so when playing as Iaxus you can keep your opponent in the dark somewhat about when a collapse will happen.

Character I want to try and can see adding him to the list of characters played is Endrbyt - He can change from game to game leading to a lot of adaptability and variety. I've never played him before but I think I can say that if I had to pick only one character to play it would be him/it.

There are more characters I want to try but I think I'll stick with just those for now and get a better picture of the style of game I want to pursue. It has been tricky for me to figure out what kind of style I like in this game especially because I do not like the style descriptions of the characters at the start of the rule book. for me it just hasn't been helpful in finding my preferred style. So other players list the character/s that you play and maybe give a brief reason why you play/like them. You might be able to help other people find a character they will like or help them see something about a character they didn't see before.

Edit: just added the poll. I hope it worked right. I've never used a poll before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gearhart
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tatsumi and Juto are far and away my favorites. The universally useful positioning bonuses, the astoundingly useful movement, and the ability to hit hard when you need to is very appealing to me. She's a SUPER tricky character, but one that's super rewarding if you care to take the time to learn.

I also really enjoy Gaspar Geddon. He has the capacity to set up amazing damage turns (eleven is the highest outside of bonuses like Chivalry tokens), and his movement capabilities are awesome (using a Gordian Grasp with an Ante'd Dash to move across the board with the Dash clone, hit with Grasp, and then use Gordian's End of Beat to return Dash to your hand is amazing).

Movement is just a phenomenally useful aspect of the game, and being able to foul your opponents' calculations is invaluable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently, I am trying to master Shekhtur Lenmorre. She's novice level difficulty and very aggressive. I noticed that, generally, I'm an aggressive player who would rather risk going for the big hit than hold back, and she's perfect for that playstyle. I am getting to where I feel very comfortable with her.

After her, the next fighter I have in mind to master is Runika Zenanen. I just like her gimmick (the artifacts) and think she's really fun to play. Like Shekhtur, she seems suited for an aggressive play style, taking advantage of her artifact bonuses at the start of a duel.

Also, in War of the Indines (which I know probably isn't part of your question but is worth mentioning) I like Rukyuk Amberdeen, the gunslinger. He's more defensive than my preferred style, but I just love his character theme and mobility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emma
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Khadath is my favorite. So far the only character I've played in a non co-op mode from Devastation is Arec. He seems really fun, but I couldn't get the hand of landing his Manipulative style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KingCroc wrote:
Currently, I am trying to master Shekhtur Lenmorre. She's novice level difficulty and very aggressive. I noticed that, generally, I'm an aggressive player who would rather risk going for the big hit than hold back, and she's perfect for that playstyle. I am getting to where I feel very comfortable with her.

After her, the next fighter I have in mind to master is Runika Zenanen. I just like her gimmick (the artifacts) and think she's really fun to play. Like Shekhtur, she seems suited for an aggressive play style, taking advantage of her artifact bonuses at the start of a duel.

Also, in War of the Indines (which I know probably isn't part of your question but is worth mentioning) I like Rukyuk Amberdeen, the gunslinger. He's more defensive than my preferred style, but I just love his character theme and mobility.

Oh no WoI was apart of the question. I had several WoI characters listed in my first post.

Something I forgot to mention in my first post but meant to was about online play. The online implementation can't get here soon enough. I don't get to play this game as often as I'd like in order to test out the characters and figure out the smaller group of characters (I want to narrow it down to 3 or 4) to really focus in on. It will also be good to try an improve my game against other people who are just as serious about getting good at the game as I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Perepelkin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My favourites in WoI are:

Vanaah - for her general playstyle. And she has a skythe! Also DR Glorious Drive opening is amazing and leaves opponent in shock.
Kallistar - for her lore, promo art and strikers art. Altough she is kinda difficult for me to play I am learining her.
Cheri - for her amazing art and interesting playstyle. She has some very hard matchups (Hepzi, Luc, Shekthur, Demitras and other priority boosters via ante) but very fun.

In DoI I'm very fond of:

Karin and Jager - they are amazingly universal, pretty easy to grasp and very powerful.
Aria - much board control, very teleportations, so dronetastic!
Lymn - even more amazing character than Cheri in any way. Also Cheri vs Lymn should be interesting duel both loreand mechanic-wise.
Gaspar - he seems very-very-very hard to play as but about as much interesting.

Now only to get my hand on DoI box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Pillow Demon
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have three brothers so we've had the opportunity to play... quite a lot ... over the weekend.

I've focused on three "mains" so far:

Runika

Probably the most straightforward out of this list, but the small boosts she gets from each of her artifacts make her surprisingly flexible and well-rounded. The Hover Boots and Phase Goggles in particular give her a pretty keen edge in trades, as long as you can keep the opponent focused on her Auto Deflector.

My win rate with her so far is very high against Joal, Clinhyde, Eligor, Cesar, Ottavia, King Alexian, and Lymn. Out of these characters, I've only lost one round against Cesar.

It's a 50% win rate against Adjenna (Adjenna has a much easier time against Runika if she can keep the phase goggles deactivated) and also Oriana.

Joal

His two strengths are

1) Options as he brings in additional bases after a couple Slayers.

2) His general mobility and ability to stun easily at melee range (cut-throat and binding knife are great).

His power output is so-so or only good situationally (e.g. Relentless Ironstar when cornering an opponent whose Grasp is in their discard), but he has good mobility and is very hard to predict. I haven't used him as much as Runika, but my win rate with him is very high against Clinhyde, Tanis, Ottavia, and Adjenna (one loss against Clinhyde and Adjenna).

Gerard

Activated life-loss over the entire board with Brawler, Archer, and Trebuchet is very tough to counter if he decides to play a keep away game(which Gerard can do pretty effectively). Then there's the power boosts from Mage, plus the counter-dash and overall spacing utility with Knight. I haven't yet tinkered with Bookie and Gunslinger, but they might be the secret to gaining an edge in Kaitlyn matches.

Another high win-rate character (though his mobility can be matched by Clinhyde's), but I lost all three matches against Kaitlyn. I actually got MAD during the first two matches (I don't yell or anything, just get very annoyed) against her, which I lost soundly. Then I sucked it up and really thought about things and got very close with life 4-0 on the 3rd match. Bookie and Gunslinger might be the answer as I mentioned earlier, though Mage's +1 priority was nice.

Gaspar

Only played a few matches with him against Tanis and Joal (50% win rate) before we ran into rules issues pairing him up against Kaitlyn. I see lots of potential in the character but I don't think I've come even close to tapping it. Most of my play revolved around spamming ante'd bases to pick away at opponents, but I plan to sit down and think up better combinations with him once we get all the rules figured out for his clones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Augusto E. Rodrigues
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My main is Adjenna.
During the playtesting phase i used to play a lot of Tanis and Byron, but they changed so much that they don´t feel the same. In fact when i feel like playing the pre-release Tanis, i turn to Aria wich is her spiritual successor.

But now i´m trying to learn many different chars. I had very satisfying experiences with Karin, Rexan and Joal. The PbF tournament has become my testing ground (XD)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Kester
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My top five in Devastation are:

Mikhail
Clinhyde
Kaitlyn
Byron
Pendros

And my top two in War are:

Vanaah
Magdelina (although I haven’t tried the new version of her yet)

I apparently like high damage, high mobility, and also Kaitlyn

If you are curious, here's my top 5 from Devastation back when the PnP were released:

Mikhail
Pendros
Kaitlyn
Cesar
Eligor

I tried Clinhyde and Bryon much later, which is why they jumped up. I'm not sure why Pendros dropped more than Kaitlyn, he just did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tdyU_gW6WE
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, all I've had the chance to play is Eligor. I need to try to round up more people to play this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites:

Lixis
Cherri
Kaitlyn
Tanis
Eligor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main characters are Sagas and Kehrolyn. Endrbyt is the Devastation char I play the most and the one I'm most determined to learn and master, but i also like Oriana and Tanis a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Thiess
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't had enough chances to get through many of the characters, yet, but my favorite from War is still Regicide.

From Devastation I don't think I have a favorite, yet, but I have really enjoyed Karin and Jager. I like Clinhyde a lot, but I still haven't entirely figured out the best way to play him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Perepelkin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can we add a poll to the thread? It would be nice to see results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malandrax is my go-to.

Clive, Zaamassal and Hepzibah are favorites, though I'm still getting used to the rebalanced version of Zaamassal.

Oriana and Tanis are at the top of my "characters to play more" list.

I love Heketch but am actually sort of crap with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Joal is by far my favorite. In anything I play, I have a tendency to favor jack-of-all-trades type characters and characters that have tons of options, and Joal is no exception. He's the type of character that's a jack-of-all-trades done right; instead of a character who is just pretty good at everything, he's a character who has the ability to strike at the opponent's weaknesses. Think about it; he can ignore soak and stun guard, he has a stun immunity and an auto-stun, he can stop opponents from moving past him and he can cap the amount of damage he takes per beat at 5. He can even ignore BA, AA, on hit and on damage effects! Really, his biggest weakness is that outside of his huge bag of combat tricks, he only has average damage and priority, and slightly above average range. But even then that really isn't much of a weakness, because he has so many options that he often has a direct counter to the opponent's attack pair, even if he doesn't end up doing that much damage. He's just plain great.

There are a couple other characters that I really like, but I've only played them once so I need to explore them a little more before I can determine how much I want to play them. Clinhyde is the kind of hyper-aggressive character I like; he's an absolute beast with all his stims enabled, but he loses life so quickly that his strategy is oftentimes "kill them before I kill myself." Also, I love his awesome movement effects (shock in particular).

Lastly, Oriana is pretty great. I didn't really understand her MP system at first, but I eventually found her to be an amazing ranger to play. Nothing feels better than hitting someone with a 10MP Unstable Meteor, let me tell ya. She's a bit risky, but her effects are so great that she's worth the risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Kester
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are curious, here is a poll I ran back in August after the PnP was released but before the print game was out of everyone's favorite character. I'm sure its changed since then but it might be interesting to see who people initially flocked to:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1023584/first-impression...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caturnix wrote:
Can we add a poll to the thread? It would be nice to see results.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping I did it right. I thought this before and making this poll made the feeling sink in even more but I really hope this game doesn't add any more characters. The character list is already crazy huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Perepelkin
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ClanNatioy wrote:
I really hope this game doesn't add any more characters. The character list is already crazy huge.
More characters for the character god! I was continiously impressed by the amount of new content appearing during developemnt of Devastations but I'm voting with both hands for any roster expansions. Battlecon mechanic is so elegant and allows for so much creativity that it blows your mind. My main concern is general balance - even having dozen of playtesters and about 9 global iterations of balancing it seems we still have issues with some characters in Devastations.
I'm waiting for Wanderers - definetely gonna try to get my character into the box

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Colas
Brazil
São José do Rio Preto
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caturnix wrote:

I'm waiting for Wanderers - definetely gonna try to get my character into the box

We all are, my friend. We all are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Picouet
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love Seth, because if you are quick at adapting to your opponents patterns you can easily guess their base and start crushing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dinobottm2 wrote:
caturnix wrote:

We all are, my friend. We all are...

I think once Wanderers drops, I will be happy with BattleCON as a whole. I can't see too many more UAs or character ideas that haven't at least been touched. I know Brad has more characters that he is developing and I hope they feel unique. But getting community input and a fresh take on this system will really make BC complete for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caturnix wrote:
ClanNatioy wrote:
I really hope this game doesn't add any more characters. The character list is already crazy huge.
More characters for the character god! I was continiously impressed by the amount of new content appearing during developemnt of Devastations but I'm voting with both hands for any roster expansions. Battlecon mechanic is so elegant and allows for so much creativity that it blows your mind. My main concern is general balance - even having dozen of playtesters and about 9 global iterations of balancing it seems we still have issues with some characters in Devastations.

The problem with this though is the more characters you add the worse balance will be. It just won't be possible to have an extremely well balanced game with a cast of 50+ different characters no matter how much you play test it. There are going to be some really bad mu no matter what you do.

How many characters are they going to add with Wanderers? Where do you submit ideas? I came up with an idea for a character that I would like to play and was thinking of making it just for giggles for myself but if there's a contest and release of fan characters any way it doesn't hurt to submit the idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Kester
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd rather have more characters that are pretty balanced than fewer characters that are perfectly balanced. Its similar to why I like Smash Bros Brawl so much, more stuff is more fun. Thats just me though

Anyways, Wanderers is supposed to be a small expansion. The other two games have 18 and 30 characters, so Id guess Wanderers will have less than 10 for sure but I don't know how many.

In addition, there are about 11 characters left over that didn't get voted into Devastation like Lymn, Cesar and Clive did that ideas exist for, they just haven't been implemented yet (I assume). They're all listed at http://indines.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Future_Characters (except for the human form for Burman).

Edit: Colon breaks link, you'll have to copy the url
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TKRKS wrote:
Personally, I'd rather have more characters that are pretty balance than fewer characters that are perfectly balanced. Its similar to why I like Smash Bros Brawl so much, more stuff is more fun. Thats just me though

Anyways, Wanderers is supposed to be a small expansion. The other two games have 18 and 30 characters, so Id guess Wanderers will have less than 10 for sure but I don't know how many.

In addition, there are about 11 characters left over that didn't get voted into Devastation like Lymn, Cesar and Clive did that ideas exist for, they just haven't been implemented yet (I assume). They're all listed at http://indines.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Future_Characters (except for the human form for Burman).

Edit: Colon breaks link, you'll have to copy the url

I'm not saying it has to be perfectly balanced. Not even sure perfect balance is attainable in a game with 5 characters that are interesting and different. I'm just saying the more characters that get added the worse the balance will be no matter how much the game is play tested. Tournaments may just come down to a counter pick fest and matches will be decided more by who got the counter pick on round 1. For me personally I think the most characters I'd want to see in an asymmetric game is 25 to 30. Not saying it has to be that many. A game can still be very interesting with less choices. Just really wouldn't want more then that.

If there are 12 or so characters made that haven't been released and 10 characters in the wanderers expansion that will leave us with a cast of 70. 70!!! that's such a crazy high number of different characters. Another downside to this high of a character pool is that it will lead to more low level play for a longer time. Even if you were to only learn one character you have to learn 70 mu (I'm including the mirror because mirror matches definitely take some learning to play properly). I imagine that even a person that was very dedicated to learning the game would have to play for quite some time just to get a basic understanding of each of the mu.

Some people may like this but playing at a high level of play against another person playing at a high level of play is much more interesting and fun to me then two players blundering and fumbling through a mu. Even this point is secondary to the balance issue that will come from having 70 characters.

If any one has a mu chart for any of the characters they play as I'd really enjoy seeing that and please post it here.

Edit: also the World of Indines wiki page is blank for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |