Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arwen the Cat Reviews Discworld: Ankh-Morpork

Hi. It’s me. Arwen the cat. I am the ultimate trouble marker.

Both of my humans are Pratchett fans but the human female really, really, really likes his work. When they demoed this game a couple of GenCons ago, it was an easy purchase decision. And then the human male gave his wife another copy for Christmas. This was the collector’s edition. I guess there’s a collector’s edition to take advantage of people for whom the regular game isn’t good enough. Suckers.

(Oooooo, "collector's edition". We'll see how collectible it is with a bunch of cat hair in the box.)

Concept – Players must use cards of the denizens of Ankh-Morpork to gain control of the city for their faction in this area control control. Each player gets a different personality to control their faction, which dictates what their victory condition is. Some of these victory conditions are harder than others. I like it when both of my humans draw the guys that need to control a certain number of areas to win. They usually wind up beating each other up to no avail and getting frustrating. I like it when they get frustrated.

(There, I shuffled these for you.)

Components – The humans say these are nice components. There are wooden pieces for the building and different wooden pieces for the minions and trolls and stuff. I think these are nice too. When the humans aren’t looking, I like to bat the trouble markers around so they wind up in different areas. That always confuses them.

(The yellow minions think they are going to take control of an area, despite my presence. They are mistaken.)

Gameplay – The humans enjoy the gameplay of this game. Every card is different, which makes this game a test of implementation and reaction. Both humans really like that kind of gameplay. There is one glaring problem with this game, though. There’s no Amazing Maurice card! The only cat in this weird series and Martin Wallace can’t be bothered to include a card of him. Obviously, the gameplay of this game can’t be that great as a result.

(I can't believe my humans are still trying to play this game. Idiots.)

Fun Factor – Everyone knows that the Amazing Maurice is the best Discworld character. Since he’s not in this game, it can’t be that fun. The humans enjoy it though. It’s one of the human female’s favorite games. She usually wins this one too.

(I like when she wins too.)

Replay Value – The humans say that the different combination of personality cards and the always random order the cards come out make for an engaging experience each time they play. As for me, there is plenty of mischief I can get into with this game. I already mentioned the trouble markers, but it’s also fun to re-arrange the buildings from one area to another. This doesn’t fool the humans as much though because they get used to using the building’s special game text and can replace them pretty easily.

(You can't replay with this piece when it's in ma' belly.)

Human Rating – The human male says this is a great game because of the variable player objectives. He give it a 7/10. The human female it deserves a higher score since she usually wins. She gives it a 8/10.

(Let me find a new position here...)

Cat Rating – The lack of an Amazing Maurice card really kills this game for me. I’m plotting your doom, Martin Wallace, you slacker. In the meantime, I’m going to give your silly Discworld board game a 2.5/10.

(There. That's better. I win now. You go away.)

That’s all I’ve got to say about Discworld. If you liked this review, you can read my other reviews here: Arwen the Cat's Board Game Reviews Subscription GeekList. Arwen out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There’s no Amazing Maurice card! The only cat in this weird series and Martin Wallace can’t be bothered to include a card of him. Obviously, the gameplay of this game can’t be that great as a result.

I think you forget Greebo, but there's no card for him either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Rutyna
United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why, but I like Arwen's reviews a lot. Probably because of the great interaction with the game components. Best cat reviewer on the circuit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kitcat
United Kingdom
Malvern
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q]I think you forget Greebo, but there's no card for him either.[/q]

Greebo is in the Witches game. I'm surprised that Arwen didn't mention Gaspode, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

NY
msg tools
My human loves this game, too.

Sometimes she doesn't pay attention to me because of it. Here's what I think of this game...

The pieces taste like love and vengeance. :3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While funny to look at from a distance, that would not be my reaction to a cat nibbling my Ankh-Morpork's pieces. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls