Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: The Battle of Midway 1942 AD has anyone played this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
The Battle of Midway 1942 AD

Has anyone played this thing? *hint* *hint* Markus.
There is almost no info, reviews or even pictures especially of the map here on BGG.
I am afraid it might be too simplistic for my tastes but I have a thing for carrier games. I know the rules are available on the Turning Point Simulations site, but I have enough un-read rulebooks as it is for games I already own, so if one of you fellows has any comment about the game, I'd appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Never heard of it. The "AD" seems a tad superfluous though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
*chuckles*

Yes at first I thought it was just a trick because there was already a game with that very same name on BGG, to avoid dupes or something like that, but no, AD is actually on the box too. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
pepe le moko wrote:
The Battle of Midway 1942 AD

Has anyone played this thing? *hint* *hint* Markus.
I'm flattered. :-)

Quote:
There is almost no info, reviews or even pictures especially of the map here on BGG.
I am afraid it might be too simplistic for my tastes
I hadn't looked until now, because given its pedigree, I did not expect much. After looking at the rules (thanks for pointing them out), it certainly is too simplistic for me.

Quote:
but I have a thing for carrier games. I know the rules are available on the Turning Point Simulations site, but I have enough un-read rulebooks as it is for games I already own, so if one of you fellows has any comment about the game, I'd appreciate it.
Some reasons for dismissing this game unplayed...

1. you do not search with air units. Both players move their TFs openly, then you simply roll the die to find a TF (or not). The only exception to this, bizarrely, are the B-17s (which were not used for search at Midway).

2. The modifiers make no sense. A radar equipped carrier has improved detection chances against enemy task forces for up to 270 nm out. This means it must have a 20km high radar mast... (Funny enough, when I looked up the formula on Wikipedia, they used Gary Powers in his U-2 as the example for that altitude and indeed arrived at the same distance.)

3. All the spotting information is removed each turn, so whether you spotted (or even attacked) a force in one turn has no impact on whether you will find it again the next turn, even though they could move at most one hex (transports couldn't, but in this game all transports move at 25 knots).

4. Either the air unit scale given in the rules is incorrect, or both sides' carriers' air complements are seriously understrength.

5. The carriers are cookie cutter anyway, Kaga/Akagi have the same air units with the same ratings as Soryu/Hiryu, with the CVLs also being too strong in comparison.

It also appears that planes can fly two strikes in a four-hour turn, unless disrupted. Given typical strike distances, that wouldn't work except if they recharge for the next attack by flying through a power bonus above their carrier.

My advice: play Victory at Midway, it has almost all the chrome, the same length of rules, but will make much more sense. Even comes with solitaire rules IIRC.

FWIW, the "AD" probably comes about because this is part of a "20 most decisive battles of history" series or some such, so presumably all the battles have BC/AD in the title as a rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Haven't seen you in the Winter Storm topic for some time, Olivier, did you give up on the system? I might be interested in a Winter Storm Vassal game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Heh don't be so modest Markus, you're quite the authority on carrier warfare around these parts.

Ok this doesn't sound too promising, thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll have to wait for the 2nd edition of Pacific War to get my fix.

As far as Winter Storm is concerned, nah I had fun delving into the system last summer and there are lots of mechanisms and ideas I really like about it. In many ways I feel it is superior to OCS, but I have to admit it is a bit too messy and convoluted for me. I admire all the work Rizzo put into the re-write of the rules, but the way I see it, he didn't really solve any of the problems that plague the game. Instead of spending so much energy and time on trying to split the rules into three levels for learning purposes, he should have focused on ironing out all the kinks imo. And I guess he did to some extent, but I encoutered too many issues, it was a bit painful honestly. I am still subscribed to the folder on CSW, read your AARs and all, I just don't have anything interesting to contribute so I just lurk there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
England
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Never heard of it. The "AD" seems a tad superfluous though.

Aren't these battles chosen to add to a list in some book of "great" battles? If so the BC and AD addition may fit that style.

It says Mitchell & Creasey's Twenty Decisive Battles.

I'm a General Fuller man, myself...

Edit: I see Markus detected and launched before me! Clear for action!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
pepe le moko wrote:
I admire all the work Rizzo put into the re-write of the rules, but the way I see it, he didn't really solve any of the problems that plague the game. Instead of spending so much energy and time on trying to split the rules into three levels for learning purposes, he should have focused on ironing out all the kinks imo.
Pretty much agree. Chris and I started working on a new ("reverted") version to fix the kinks, but we have too many other projects, so it's really slow going. Rizzo also tried to shift as much as possible into the tables, to make rule referencing unnecessary, but he didn't spend much thought on effectively presenting the tables, so they often are much more extensive than needed. (The same goes for the 2.0 tables.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appreciate the observations Markus. I remember when this series was being touted, they had a deal where you could buy all 20 games for some discount. I'm glad I passed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls