Ethan Tan
msg tools
Hi all,

If my current group of 3 heroes party, having gone through 3 Act I quests in Shadow of Rune, is it possible to incorporate a new player/hero halfway through?

If possible, any adjustments the OL has to make to the game?

Does that new player start from scratch, having only basic skills and equipment?

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Tan
msg tools
Apologies, as I just read deeper into this Forum, this subject was brought up before. Hence I'll reference from there.

In a nutshell, there don't seem to be a good way to incorporate a new player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way is to play with 4 heroes no matter how many players you have, IMO, and distribute heroes as appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
We had a hero joining in halfway through the campaign. We just started him of with roughly the same amount of equipment as the current heroes. Of course the overlord then starts to use the monster counts as per the new number of heroes. Worked totally fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
DavidvD wrote:
We had a hero joining in halfway through the campaign. We just started him of with roughly the same amount of equipment as the current heroes. Of course the overlord then starts to use the monster counts as per the new number of heroes. Worked totally fine.

We did something similar. No new equipment though, just XP. It the Shadow Rune we had so little gold new equipment wasn't an issue. The heroes were just po'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I think XP only is appropriate. They either have to swap equipment with other players or keep their own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
I think XP only is appropriate. They either have to swap equipment with other players or keep their own.

Personally I would probably want to throw the new hero some gold. Not a lot, maybe not even enough for a new decent item; but maybe 50-100 just something to mean they aren't completely lagging behind. But it would depend on the heroes. Sometimes they may not have searched much so in that case maybe I wouldn't bother giving the new hero anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manii Names
msg tools
When we have done this, the new hero started with:

1. XP equal to everybody else, with some caveats. I didn't just let them buy say two L3 skills, because almost nobody is willing to save up quite that much. Look at what the other players did and go with something along those lines.

2. Money equal to ((Total Party Cash) / (Current Party Members)), so if the three players in your example had earned 600g, start the newbie off with 200g. Pull X cards off the top of the Treasure I stack and that's what he (and the other party members, if they have gold available) has to pick from.

Worked fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Morehouse
United States
Redlands
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Now unrelated: Do you guys actually play that each player has their own supply of gold. That sounds terrible!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
DavidvD wrote:

Yeah, 3 players -> 4 players is widely regarded to go in favor of the Overlord in terms of balance.

You should have a log of how much gold you acquired. Extrapolate this to 1 more figure. Pretty fair.

I'd suggest throwing in 25-50 more gold since technically 4-player games have a higher probability of getting more Treasure Cards (more search tokens).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soldier wrote:
Now unrelated: Do you guys actually play that each player has their own supply of gold. That sounds terrible!!

No, not at all; that would slow down acquisition of items for those that need them. Probably bad wording to say that I would give the hero gold I just mean I would add gold to the party's supply to account for that hero joining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David van Damme
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
Soldier wrote:
DavidvD wrote:

We did something similar. No new equipment though, just XP. It the Shadow Rune we had so little gold new equipment wasn't an issue. The heroes were just po'.

Come to think of it that's what we did too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.