Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Arwen the Cat Reviews Star Trek Catan.

(To boldly go where no cat has gone before.)

Hi. It’s me. Arwen the cat. Did you know that the Vulcans and Romulans are descended from that pinnacle of Star Trek evolution, the Caitians? That’s why they have pointy ears. It’s true. Look it up. I wouldn’t lie to you.

(You don't have to look closely to see the resemblance)

The humans picked this game up when it was released at GenCon 2012 and promptly played it many times in the months immediately following the convention. It’s enjoyed the occasional play since then for them. The humans asked me to review this game for them and, since I understand that M’Ress plays a central part in this game, I agreed.

(M'Ress - the greatest Star Trek character of them all.)

Concept – Settlers of Catan in the Star Trek universe. That’s it in a nutshell.

(I'm a space cat. I'm more dangerous than a Doomsday Machine.)

Components – Let’s see, we have planet tiles, cute little starships that take the place of roads, starbase miniatures, and a deck of personality cards. There’s a card for Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura…wait a second. Uhura? That was Klaus Teuber’s choice for communications officer? Where’s the M’Ress card? I am not pleased with you, Mr. Teuber!

(Klaus! You slacker! You forgot a card!)

Gameplay – Well, my humans told me that the gameplay revolved around the Caitian’s conquest of the known galaxy, but that’s a damned lie. Stupid humans. This game is actually just like regular Settlers of Catan. The only thing different is the deck of personality cards, each of which grants a special ability. If M’Ress were one of the personality cards, the players’ strategic efforts to acquire her card would probably dominate the gameplay. But since she’s not one of the personality cards, you’ll have to be satisfied with lame old Sarek, who no one cards about, instead.

(No M'Ress or Caitians in this game. Maybe Klaus Teuber is a catist.)

Fun Factor – I don’t know, does playing with Sarek sound like fun? I’m not impressed. The humans have a great time with this game, though. You know what impresses them? The promotional score-keeping tiles with numbers printed in different fake Star Trek languages. How sad is that?

(Okay, maybe the components are a little impressive. See how impressed I am?)

Replay Value – The humans say that if you have a desire to play Catan, you might as well play Star Trek Catan and enjoy the sculpted components and personality cards. But there’s no M’Ress. Just keep that in mind so you don’t get too disappointed.

(At least the box is comfy.)

Human Rating – The dorky humans love this re-themed Catan and award it an 8/10.

(I also demand the inclusion of Isis and Spot in the game somehow.)

Cat Rating – It’s hard to overcome the tragic omission of M’Ress and the presence of the Caitians in this game. Klaus Teuber really blew it when he forgot about these elements. Listen up, Klaus – I demand a Caitian expansion to Star Trek Catan with personalized Caitian starships and a M’Ress card! Can anyone tell me if the Cait system is included in the Federation Map expansion? If not, I demand that the Federation Map expansion be re-printed as well! Until then, this game gets a 2/10 from me.

(I'm also going to hold these ships hostage until I get my way.)

That’s all I’ve got to say about Star Trek Catan. If you liked this review, you can read my other reviews here: Arwen the Cat's Board Game Reviews Subscription GeekList. Arwen out.

(Now go watch my favorite episode, Catspaw.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please make a geeklist with all of your reviews meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maaikefest wrote:
Please make a geeklist with all of your reviews meeple

Check out the link between the last two pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is, in both form and content, a fantastic review.

It also serves as a great overview of the significance of cats in Star Trek lore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls