A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
After spending a morning working through the rules which felt a little like untangling Christmas lights mentally, my son and I sat down for a 2 player game and had a brilliant time. The game itself was much shorter than expected at around 80 minutes despite the moments of analysis paralysis and brief visits to the rule book. (Plus the Pope didn't die until the very last round)

Going in I was a little concerned, but as usual, playing the game brings clarity. Obviously, we didn't quite realise all the potential strategies until it was too late but for a first play, it was tremendous fun. I suppose if I were to have one critique, it was that I wished we had two sets of action tokens per round so we could alternate as we played something like in Helvetia.

Still, it's early days but I'm already looking forward to playing this again. An excellent little game with a refreshing theme. Fantastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Otherworldly Gamer
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoyed it! I recently discovered this game and I really like it. Your son must be a pretty smart cookie to be able to handle the digestion of the rules. The game play is simple, but the rules are numerous as you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to do all the digesting but he picked it up really quick. I was worried it was going to turn into a muddle while working my way through the rules and various threads here on BGG, but I was happily surprised to find the game has a pretty steady rhythm. And even though I loved the theme, I was a little worried it might put him off but he really enjoyed it. Shows what I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it is a strategical game at heart (planning is everywhere here : how to manage your traveling in order to boost your money and your knowledge ? how to manage your traveling to synchronize yourself with the Franciscan cities and/or Riddle of Verona track ? without forgetting to grab as many colours of manuscripts as possible and to stop in differents places to climb the religious hierarchy....), it can be played in a relaxing fashion to enjoy the journey.

With beginners, a friend of mine is used to play without Orient track, Papal library and Canticle of the Sun.

It is a mess to explain this game to newbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wiebe
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Green is the colour, football is the game; we're all together, and winning is our aim!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! It is an excellent game that really isn't that hard to play - perhaps it is the rule book itself...? Congrats on breaking it out with your son - I think I will get my family to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
reading this makes me want to play this awesome game so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slogosh wrote:

I'd be up for a play... if I could ever make it to GE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ditto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
slogosh wrote:

We play it up in Escondido!

Unfortunately I never make it to GE anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
whattheproblemis wrote:
slogosh wrote:

We play it up in Escondido!

Unfortunately I never make it to GE anymore.

Tempting, Travis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls