Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Slaughterball» Forums » Rules

Subject: League rules - what is your opinion on league points for last place? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Hi, everyone! While I wait for the videos to compile, I thought I'd get your collective opinion on an aspect of the league rules for Slaughterball.

League games can include 2, 3, or 4 teams. Currently, you earn 1 league point for each team you defeat, thus the following for a 4-team game:

4th place = 0 points league points
3rd place = 1 point
2nd place = 2 points
1st place = 3 points

This gives coaches incentives to play 4-team league games.

Your league points determine your rank in the league.

However, do you think the 0 points for last place will discourage weak teams from showing up for a league game? "I'm going to lose anyway so why should I show up? I'm going to get 0 league points either way."

What is your opinion? Would it be better if each coach earned 1 league point + 1 point for each team they defeat, thus:

4th place = 1 point
3rd place = 2 points
2nd place = 3 points
1st place = 4 points

Thanks!
Erik
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
ErikFrog wrote:
However, do you think the 0 points for last place will discourage weak teams from showing up for a league game? "I'm going to lose anyway so why should I show up? I'm going to get 0 league points either way."
Or is it worse to have people show up simply to get their 1 point, and then proceed to blow off the game, or purposefully play poorly or play kingmaker, or just get up and leave halfway through knowing they at least get that 1 point.

So last place getting zero does seem harsh, but just handing out 1-point awards for last place invites its own set of possible annoyances.

???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zero points for last place is ok, if you do not need those points to purchase stuff like upgrades. If those points are also like a currency, it would be very harsh to not only lose the game but also being deprived of the feeling of progress.

But on the other hand, I think it is important to give teams some kind of "equalizer", so no coach will ever perceive an upcoming game as a sure defeat. It is a nightmare for balancing purposes, but feels like a necessity to me to make every coach turn up for a game, instead of feeling like nothing more than cannon fodder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Oh, I should mention the monetary rewards:

4th place = $100,000
3rd place = $200,000
2nd place = $300,000
1st place = $400,000

Money is used to improve athletes, bid on mavericks, and hire support staff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ErikFrog wrote:
Oh, I should mention the monetary rewards:

4th place = $100,000
3rd place = $200,000
2nd place = $300,000
1st place = $400,000

Money is used to improve athletes, bid on mavericks, and hire support staff.
Thanks!
That raises another question If my math is correct and I finish every game of a league in second place with leagues lasting for 10 games, I would only be able to afford a new player right before the final match of the league. Do you lose players frequently in a league? Or is it even possible for one of your athletes to die, instead of being just injured?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To give best answer maybe understanding what league placement does?

If I'm 4 out of 4, what penalties are involved potentially?

Can I get some sort of underdog (DreadBall term) bonus for being lowest placed team if I face off against more powerful teams? Maybe not a leveling the playing field thing but possibly a bonus to something (payout from under the table betting to get more resources because I beat the odds?).

I'm not in favor or against any specific penalty/bonus, just curious what league standing does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls