Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those of you who have played Russian Railroads, what other game would you compare it to in terms of weight?

I get the impression it was not a heavy game? Not TTR light, but maybe Stone Age light?

If it's heavier I may pick up a copy.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it's heavier than Stone Age. It's not super heavy because the rules are quite straight forward but to do well requires some thinking and balancing on what you want to do and what your opponents have done. Do get it if you like heavier thinky games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Weight is a deceiving term. It's not rules heavy at all, allthough the rulebook is 24 pages there's a natural flow to what you do. But it is a game where out-thinking your opponents is the key to victory. I can play games like Stone Age on auto-pilot, but Russian Railroads is a thinking man's game. I'd compare it to Caylus or Lancaster also games that look deceptively easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, maybe Stone Age, but it carries its weight very well. Maybe it's big boned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About like Lancaster in weight. I personally enjoy this a bit more than Lancaster, however. A friend of mine loves Lancaster and he thought RR was a bit heavier and thus, after his first play didn't like it as well. But I'm of the opinion that is heavier and thus better than Lancaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Weight is a deceiving term. It's not rules heavy at all, allthough the rulebook is 24 pages there's a natural flow to what you do. But it is a game where out-thinking your opponents is the key to victory. I can play games like Stone Age on auto-pilot, but Russian Railroads is a thinking man's game.
I'd agree with this. In stone age there isn't really much strategy... it all comes down to evaluating what is the best choice given what's on the board. So there's not a lot of thought required really. Russian Railroads requires you to to have a plan and to think ahead about what you want to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frank Hamrick wrote:
About like Lancaster in weight. I personally enjoy this a bit more than Lancaster, however. A friend of mine loves Lancaster and he thought RR was a bit heavier and thus, after his first play didn't like it as well. But I'm of the opinion that is heavier and thus better than Lancaster.

I have played and love Lancaster...ranks in my top 10 games. I think weight wise it's a good comparison. I think RR is a little heavier in terms of strategizing and decision making, but not much. In RR, rules are fairly easy to explain and understand and after a one round, easy to play. I don't think you'll really do well your first time playing though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Evans
United States
Flintstone
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Not TTR light, but maybe Stone Age light?

I'm sorry, but I think some are overstating the relative weight of Stone Age. Caylus is a decent comparison, although with the massive snowballing that occurs in the last few rounds, I think the early decisions in Russian Railroads are not quite as transparent to beginners.

That said, Russian Railroads is a FANTASTIC game and I cannot recommend it highly enough if you enjoy somewhat abstract worker placement games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls