Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got two kids, ages 3 and 5, who like to play games. The thing is, they don't like to lose at games. So I'm thinknig that if I could find some nice co-ops for them to play with me it might be a way let them have fun while learning the ideas of following rules and helping each other out.

What games would you suggest?

TIA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I may be misremembering, but 3 seems pretty young for board games. A few ideas for cooperative activities:
- if you have a good set of blocks, building towers is something you can all do together.
- if 3 is old enough for mazes, and you like drawing them, you could draw a maze with a bunch of different buildings in it, and one of them has to draw the line from e.g the fire station to the puppy orphanage, and the other draws the line from the puppy orphanage to the sporting goods store, and then the first draws the line from the sporting goods store to the arsonist's house... well, a bad example, maybe, but you get the idea.
- you could play some game where one of you hides a small object in a room, and then the other two hold hands, and it's the position of the hands which the first person uses to say whether you're getting warmer or colder.
- nothing says "cooperative activity with rules" like running a sweatshop out of your home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Chit Chat to Recommendations.

Forbidden Island is probably the number one.
Castle Panic is my number two.
Flash Point: Fire Rescue is my number three. (Personally I find the theme a bit distressing but you know your kids best.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those ages I'd start by looking for some of the Family Pastimes games as they offer a variety of nice little co-ops for littler kids. They aren't top of the line quality but they are cheap so it's not a big deal if the kiddos play with them and mess them up either. Then from there I'd move on up to Mice and Mystics and Storm Hollow: A Storyboard Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My small people liked Snail's Pace Race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
First Orchard is awesome and ideal for that age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Lakeland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
filwi wrote:
I've got two kids, ages 3 and 5, who like to play games. The thing is, they don't like to lose at games. So I'm thinknig that if I could find some nice co-ops for them to play with me it might be a way let them have fun while learning the ideas of following rules and helping each other out.

What games would you suggest?

TIA

When I was looking for this exact same thing, I came across Caves & Claws. It worked very well and was actually still fun to play with the little ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
No co-ops. They need to learn to lose -and win- graciously!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
No co-ops. They need to learn to lose -and win- graciously!
They do, but it's a developmental phase that needs time and experience to develop. So co-ops are a good way to get the kids into games - they still need to learn to lose and win (graciously or otherwise), it's just that it won't be about the individuals winning or losing, but rather the group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Family Pasttimes is a good place to look, as is peaceable kingdoms press.

My kids favorite cooperatives at three and four were Caves & Claws, Maxand Princess from Family Pastimes and Hoot Owl Hoot! ( very simple - better for a three year old than a 5 year old) and Lost Puppies from Peaceable Kingdoms press.

I like the suggestions for Castle Panic and Flash Point Fire Rescue. My (game obsessed) 5 year old plays those, but I don't think a three year old could hold his/ her own. Forbidden Island might work.

It is hard for siblings to play games together sometimes. It is harder for them to lose to a sibling than a parent, I think, but there is also the possibility in cooperative games that siblings will be bossy or blame the other one for losing. Of the games I listed, a sensitive child might be upset in Max if they lose, as the cat catches animals and eats them. Caves and Claws is the least likely to stress them out. They feel like they are going on an adventure with friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Smith
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter just turned 4 and I bought her Whoowasit?. I did a lot of research before deciding and I have to tell you that it's been a total hit! It's rated highly under children's games here on BGG but no one has really posted anything on it, which suprises me as the game is very good at teaching kids to work together, counting, and has a strong memory aspect as well. I am a lurker on BGG, always reading reviews and comments, but this is the first time I've EVER posted anything myself. So with that caveat.....go buy this game, you and your children won't be disappointed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on the Family Pastimes games - they are boring and cheesy and bad components for us grownups, but my kids were OBSESSED with Bus Depot Diner and Harvest Time when they were in that 3-5 age range - my 8 year old even still asked to play it last month. Go through their website and pick a couple that have themes that appeal to your kids & I'm sure they'll love them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the 3 year old, Go Away Monster! is awesome.

I have a 6 (almost 7) year old with whom I'm currently playing Mice and Mystics and Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Max is a good one which my three year old enjoys.

+1 for Castle Panic and Forbidden Island once your kids get a little older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
I've got two 3 year olds and they are both into Richard Scarry - Busy Town. It's coop and they love it. (they ask to play it almost every night)

Loopin Louie is also a hit with them. It is not strictly coop like you wanted, but it is a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperative game for children, hmm...

Since I unfortunately have no real competent knowledge in the kid's sector of our hobby, I could only suggest Hanabi and Forbidden Island.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple and Rampage might be interesting to the family in a few years.

Have fun with your kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly highly HIGHLY recommend keeping an eye on the BGG Marketplace or ebay for a copy of Break the Safe - they come up often and are very reasonablly priced!

This game is perfectly suited to younger children right up to 12yr olds .. In fact I used to get a phone call from my sons school whenever it rained asking if I could please bring it in for the kids to play indoors at lunch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratatoskr72 wrote:
First Orchard is awesome and ideal for that age.

True, you can't go wrong with Haba either. Mainly more for kids but amazingly made and cool looking.

Celinashope wrote:
My small people liked Snail's Pace Race.

Too true as well. A buddy of mine who has twin 4 year (almost 5 now) boys have loved this since I gave it to them. They can play it by themselves as it is very simple to set up and they cheer for the horse they want to win.

123ABC wrote:
Family Pasttimes is a good place to look, as is peaceable kingdoms press.

My kids favorite cooperatives at three and four were Caves & Claws, Maxand Princess from Family Pastimes and Hoot Owl Hoot! ( very simple - better for a three year old than a 5 year old) and Lost Puppies from Peaceable Kingdoms press.

Yep, perfect games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Preston
United States
Fremont
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Max, Monster Chase, and Hoot Owl Hoot. All 3 are terrific for ages 3 to 5. Monster Chase is our (just turned) 3 year old's favorite game, and our daugter got Max for her 5th birthday last month and she loves it.

Snug as a Bug in a Rug is another game from Peaceable Kingdom that we've had good luck with in that age range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue seems like it would be the best as it could be a tool to teach fire safety as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls