Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy
United States
Lake Balboa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having convinced myself that I'd save money by sleeping in my own bed each night, I decided that I would make the drive to Strategicon and just pay for parking instead. I've seen a couple promising spots but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience that they're willing to impart on this gamer? Dos, Don'ts and all that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the Los Angeles Airport Hilton, where the convention is being held, is offering $9/day parking with validation.

Street (free) parking is very hard (if not impossible) to come by in that area - and is likely time limited with strict enforcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy
United States
Lake Balboa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heheh, yeah, I wasn't even considering street parking. Nice to know about the $9 a day then. I wasn't sure about that and was looking at ParkingSpot or something like that down the street. Thanks for the quick response, Bill. Appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuglooc wrote:
I believe that the Los Angeles Airport Hilton, where the convention is being held...

Oh wow, almost forgot that they changed hotels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuglooc wrote:
I believe that the Los Angeles Airport Hilton, where the convention is being held, is offering $9/day parking with validation.

Street (free) parking is very hard (if not impossible) to come by in that area - and is likely time limited with strict enforcement.

A "2 years later" post, but still, some may find it helpful...
In the past couple years, they've often got enough guests that even hotel parking runs out (it's not just the con goers, but general travelers passing by). $9 a day for the self park, $20 for valet.

There are 2 parking garage that costs $15 a day, or $16 to $22 per day (more expensive gets you off the roof so that your car isn't baking in the sun if that's important to you). It's relatively steep, but on the plus sides: it's one building over from the hotel, and parking is often ample.

Unlike the hotel parking, there's no in and out privileges here, but given how parking spots can run out, I'd be afraid to leave the parking lot to utilize that.

EDIT: updated info
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin V
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fan of Cartoonist Phil Foglio
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I parked in the Hilton garage a year or two back and spent about 45 minutes trying to find a spot. All levels were PACKED, with cars parking in all manner of "spots." For me, NOT worth the effort and stress.

I'll be heading down tomorrow (Saturday) morning and will simply hit one of the local parking structures that are within walking distance.

Personally I'd love to see the event relocate to a another nearby hotel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voice of Reason wrote:
Agreed. I parked in the Hilton garage a year or two back and spent about 45 minutes trying to find a spot. All levels were PACKED, with cars parking in all manner of "spots." For me, NOT worth the effort and stress.

I'll be heading down tomorrow (Saturday) morning and will simply hit one of the local parking structures that are within walking distance.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on it.

It's been mentioned that the con staff like this location for several reasons....
--It's convenient for those who fly in, of which evidently, there's no small number of these folks
--The rates and times of year are excellent for them (which are mostly the same reasons it isn't as great for the attendees

There were a couple others, but I'll have to post back if I can think of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric M. Aldrich I
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My first reaction seeing this thread was "where?"

Sarcasm aside we know the situation isn't great, but it's better than the last 3 hotels....

ackmondual wrote:
Voice of Reason wrote:

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on it.

It's been mentioned that the con staff like this location for several reasons....
--It's convenient for those who fly in, of which evidently, there's no small number of these folks
--The rates and times of year are excellent for them (which are mostly the same reasons it isn't as great for the attendees

There were a couple others, but I'll have to post back if I can think of them.

The big one you missed is cost and space. Square footage is a major factor on how big a show you can run. We're at the largest hotel convention-space wise on the strip. There are very few hotels that have more convention space in all of Southern California, and none outside of this area for comparable cost.

More later
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls