Subject: Painting ships via dipping, anyone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did anyone try to dip the ships? I'm searching for a fast way to improve the minis. There are a lot of details that are not seen if not painted. Since the expansion was pretty expensive I want to make those details visible.

Suggestions anyone? Experience? Suggestions for "Dip"-material (GW??)

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem will be the lack of paint for the ink to stick to. It really does bring out the details. That's the second biggest reason to paint them, all that detail just gets washed out in the block of plastic.

Hopefully somebody who is planning to paint them can test it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well the bad thing is that several details aren't very deep. I saw a piction where somebody made something work on the yellow dreadnought I haven't expected. Still The yellow as well as the green ships have very fine lines, where I fear I might get some trouble on the details...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aselan wrote:
Well the bad thing is that several details aren't very deep. I saw a piction where somebody made something work on the yellow dreadnought I haven't expected. Still The yellow as well as the green ships have very fine lines, where I fear I might get some trouble on the details...

I painted four fleets this weekend. The depth of the details wasn't nearly as much of a problem as I expected. I only had an issue when I got a bit heavy handed with my dry brushing several layers. I'll post photos but I need the sun to come up for some decent light.

(and this was my first time painting, so I'm sure someone with experience can do even better!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Eddy
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
Are you guys priming or just painting directly on the ships then sealing them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
COAT Christophe
France
Plouvorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeddy lee wrote:
Are you guys priming or just painting directly on the ships then sealing them?
--> Already answered in your thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
[Even] in their poverty, they referred to their garden of necessity as if it were a hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I'm using the dip method for most of my ship pack. I'm a complete painting n00b, but had no problems on my first try.
1.) spray paint the primer on
2.) splash on some cheap acrylic
3.) DIP! (i brushed it on)
4.) spray paint the matte finish

Here's a sample! I left the planta starbases and dreadnaughts glossy (skipped step 4) to give them that organic, slimy look.

My eridani and hydra ships are ok. nothing stellar. I really like how the dip covers up the terrible paint job though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls