Popular Tags: [View All]
Isra C.
Spain
Valdemoro, Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played once to this game (it was awesome and it was placed into my radar for buying it after the game) but in the 4-player game we had a tie. A big one.

We tie in powered plants(17) and money. Which's the factor to tiebreaker ?? There's no rule for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny Blount
New Zealand
flag msg tools
out to lunch
badge
same place I eat at
mbmbmbmbmb
israperrillo wrote:
I've only played once to this game (it was awesome and it was placed into my radar for buying it after the game) but in the 4-player game we had a tie. A big one.

We tie in powered plants(17) and money. Which's the factor to tiebreaker ?? There's no rule for this.

It's a tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you cannot just accept that both (or all) players were equally good and this is a real tie, I would say the player with the highest power plant wins. This is also the tie breaker for your position regarding turn order and there cannot be another tie. I am not aware of an "official" rule, but I might be mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Most Facebook friends. Then, most recent spam e-mail received. Then, fullest eyebrows. Then, longest toenails. Then, most passionate kisser. Then, most appealing to a stranger's baby. Then, most experience farming (real life). Then, highest white blood cell count. Then, best recounting of an episode of Xena, Warrior Princess. Then, smallest skin surface area. Then, oldest-looking hands. Then, idlest hands. Then, most experience farming (cardboard or virtual). Then, least interested in having won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isra C.
Spain
Valdemoro, Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

swheelock wrote:
[...]awesome tiebreaker[..]

Still tying. Just kidding, thats a good tiebreaker block but since the opponent hasn't FB I won cool

Sonny Blount & ringo84 wrote:

It's a tie.

That was our decision because, after ~3h blasting our neurons, it was like: if it's not official rule it's a tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Play again, and play better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Aldridge
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm involved, I win. If I'm not involved, I win as an arbitrary third-party. That's my rule. #Calvinball
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
At WBC, where they need to break ties, the tie-breakers are:

1. Most money

2. Most cities connected, whether powered or not

3. Highest numbered single power plant.

The last must break the tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isra C.
Spain
Valdemoro, Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

1. Most money

I should take a picture of the game end the next time.

I'm still thinking that I won, because I had the highest power plant and we had the same number of cities connected but I'm not sure about the cities.

Any statistics-lover knows what is the probability of get a tie of this magnitude?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
israperrillo wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

1. Most money

I'm still thinking that I won, because I had the highest power plant and we had the same number of cities connected but I'm not sure about the cities.

Any statistics-lover knows what is the probability of get a tie of this magnitude?

I think number of cities built is usually the same for all players in the tie and hence quite common. Only if less than 17 cities are powered (by each player) and the player who has built 17 cities is participating in the tie, this should become relevant.

So this mega-tie being decided by the highest power plant should almost be as likely as being tied for money. To give something a probability which depends so much on the skill of players is very hard. But I think this may happen in about 1 out of 10 to 20 games for equally skilled players (just my gut feeling).

Edit: 1 out of 10 seems a bit too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
[...]

Any idea if the "highest" highest plant wins or the "lowest" highest?
Example, if player A has 46 and player B has 50, who takes precedence? A or B?

To me, it would make sense that A would take precedence, as it's more "difficult" to achieve the same result with a lower plant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:
[...]

Given the list:

1. Most money

and given that "most money" wins a tie, by parallel structure in the list I would expect that "most cities" and "highest numbered plant" also win a tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:
[...]

To me, it would make sense that A would take precedence, as it's more "difficult" to achieve the same result with a lower plant.

I would argue just the other way around. Since the person with the higher plant (B) always gets the worse placement in turn order during the game, that person should win the tie. Because he managed to tie nonetheless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiebreaker in The Scepter of Zavandor is to play another game of Scepter to determine the winner. I find this to be an appropriate tiebreaker for most games.

(Tied a game of Power Grid? Play Scepter to determine the winner. Tied a game of Love Letter? Play Scepter...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
Then, least interested in having won.

Winning is so bourgeois don't you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the win goes to the first person to kiss their sister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sudden Death. Raise the game ending condition by one city and play another round. Repeat until the tie is broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Green. Green always wins the tie. (If green isn't involved, then it doesn't matter.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny Blount
New Zealand
flag msg tools
out to lunch
badge
same place I eat at
mbmbmbmbmb
ringo84 wrote:
israperrillo wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:

1. Most money

I think number of cities built is usually the same for all players in the tie and hence quite common. Only if less than 17 cities are powered (by each player) and the player who has built 17 cities is participating in the tie, this should become relevant.

So this mega-tie being decided by the highest power plant should almost be as likely as being tied for money. To give something a probability which depends so much on the skill of players is very hard. But I think this may happen in about 1 out of 10 to 20 games for equally skilled players (just my gut feeling).

Edit: 1 out of 10 seems a bit too much.

It's closer to 1 in 200 if you look at BSW statistics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

That still seems high. In 100+ games, I've only had 2 or 3 come down to $1 (I've had a much larger number come down to less than $15), and never a tie. And that's only tiebreaking two players -- I've never seen anything close to a three way or greater tie for any position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Highest plant wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
Quote:

That still seems high. In 100+ games, I've only had 2 or 3 come down to $1 (I've had a much larger number come down to less than $15), and never a tie. And that's only tiebreaking two players -- I've never seen anything close to a three way or greater tie for any position.
Interesting, we have had quite a few games come down to a single Elektro between two players. In a recent three player game of Funkenschlag we had a three way tie. We didn't have time to play it again, so we rejoiced in the shared win meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonny Blount
New Zealand
flag msg tools
out to lunch
badge
same place I eat at
mbmbmbmbmb
alexdrazen wrote:
Quote:

You've made me look.

I have 9 ties in 1253 games. That's 1 in ~140.

Assuming my average player count is just under 4. I would at least double the frequency to include ties in games that I played where I wasn't one of the tied players.

Final calc is maybe 1 in ~60. Only caveat is that is mainly between closely matched and experienced players, who you would expect to finish closer together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just estimating how likely it ought to be, I can't figure how scores are spread wide enough for it to be more than 50 games per tie, but experience tells me it's more like 150 games per tie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FWIW out of my 60 plays, 32 have notes about final scores; of those 32 there were apparently 8 ties, but all 8 ties were successfully broken by money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |