Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to know which rules (advanced/optional/variants) do you use in your standard (non-solitaire) games.

Poll
1-Merchant Ship Pipelines
2-Carriers & Fighters
3-Point Defense
4-Raiders: Cloaking and Scanners
5-Mines & Mine sweepers
6-Aliens
7-Instant Technology upgrade
8-Black hole sling shot
9-Warp points
10-Doomsday machines
11-Research gearing limits
12-Unpredictable research
13-Ship experience and military academies
14-Boarding and capturing ships
15-Security forces
16-Titans
17-Alien Technology Cards
18-Empire Advantages
19-Transports and ground combat
20-Captured colonies
21-Flagships
22-Research and industrial centers
23-Terraforming Nebulae
24-Unique Ships
25-More Aliens - Variant from CE
26-Safer Space - Variant from CE
27-Rich Minerals - Variant from CE
28-Slow Scientists - Variant from CE
29-Smart Scientists - Variant from CE
30-Bloody combat - Variant from CE
31-Rich Colonies - Variant from CE
32-HEAD START - Variant from CE
33-Galactic situation
      58 answers
Poll created by Akeold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great poll - interesting to see what others are playing (or not playing with). You forgot a few more options that are buried in the base game scenario book:

34) Quick Start Variant (I've been using this recently)
35) Ship Build Requirement Variant
36) Low Maintenance Variant
37) Heavy Terrain Variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndraftU wrote:
Great poll - interesting to see what others are playing (or not playing with). You forgot a few more options that are buried in the base game scenario book:

34) Quick Start Variant (I've been using this recently)
35) Ship Build Requirement Variant
36) Low Maintenance Variant
37) Heavy Terrain Variant

Yes, you're right. And I also forgot to include Space Amoeba rules. Our game group loves to play with them in a standard scenario. So:

Poll
34-Quick Start Variant
35-Ship Build Requirement Variant
36-Low Maintenance Variant
37-Heavy Terrain Variant
38-Space Amoebas
      9 answers
Poll created by Akeold
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised to see the instant tech upgrades get scored so high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Heimburger
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slightly off topic: could someone point me to the quick start option in the scenario book? The only places where I see it mentioned is in the two solo scenarios, where the book says the quick start option isn't available. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it interesting that some options (specifically Boarding Ships/Security Forces and Ground Combat/Captured Colonies) are generally listed as two separate rules options. Using only one of each pair doesn't make much sense. It would be like using fighters, but not point defence.
Still, most lists that detail the available rules lists them separately. Anybody know why that is?

DarkTori wrote:
I am surprised to see the instant tech upgrades get scored so high.
When I first saw it I found that surprising too, but it's really only 3 people that have chosen it. We'll see how it looks once more people participate in the poll.

juheimbu wrote:
slightly off topic: could someone point me to the quick start option in the scenario book? The only places where I see it mentioned is in the two solo scenarios, where the book says the quick start option isn't available.
It's in the Scenario book on page 7, top right corner of the page. All the variants for the base game are there, but they aren't listed in the table of contents so they're pretty hard to find the first time around.

EDIT: It looks like the polls don't count empty submissions. I.e. I can't vote that I use none of the options listed in the second poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Heimburger
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I wonder if that's an image in the pdf, as opposed to text. The pdf search didn't show it to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised to see that Raiders and cloking scanners is the rule more used. I mean, we use the rule too but in many cases, the players of our play group don't pay 30 CP to get the appropiate technology to build raiders. We priorize to invest CP to build biggest ships.

Furthermore, we can see that the instant technology is about 30%. So it seems that a pretty group of people prefer to play in a faster and easiest way.

In my future plays, I will try:

-Black hole sling shots
-Unique ships
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Few more notes (as I've noticed you're fixing up this list):

#2 and #3 Carriers, Fighters & Point Defense should all be one. Can't play one without the other (well you could but it'd be weird). laugh

Same thing for #19 and #20 - no point in using Transports and Ground troops if you're not going to capture colonies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Noguera
Other-Eastern Europe
Girona
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UndraftU wrote:
Few more notes (as I've noticed you're fixing up this list):

#2 and #3 Carriers, Fighters & Point Defense should all be one. Can't play one without the other (well you could but it'd be weird). laugh

Of course you can play with Carriers and fighters without using Point defense rules.

UndraftU wrote:

Same thing for #19 and #20 - no point in using Transports and Ground troops if you're not going to capture colonies.

But you can use Capture Colonies rules without playing with ground troops. Just ships are needed for capturing colonies. I've played this way and it works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Akeold wrote:
Of course you can play with Carriers and fighters without using Point defense rules.

In the rules these are meant to go together but you could certainly not include PD. If I were in a game like this I'd invest heavily in Fighters from the start.

Akeold wrote:
But you can use Capture Colonies rules without playing with ground troops. Just ships are needed for capturing colonies. I've played this way and it works fine.

D'oh completely messed that up. You can't use Ground troops without using Capture Colonies. But you can use Capture Colonies without using Ground troops! snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris V.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, planetary facilities come in approximately every third game. They're fun, but trickier to use with less experienced players. Over-investing in ICs during the early game can actually result in being unable to spend all the money that comes in.

Unique Ships will probably require a phone app. With few exceptions, most of my Space Empires games were decided upon at game night--adding fifteen minutes of rules explanation and poring over charts would probably slow setup down too much, even if I printed out the BGG design thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
Quote:
For me, planetary facilities come in approximately every third game. They're fun, but trickier to use with less experienced players. Over-investing in ICs during the early game can actually result in being unable to spend all the money that comes in.

Well said. For me, facilities are a change of pace game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
Quote:

Well said. For me, facilities are a change of pace game.

I agree they're definitely trickier to use with less experienced players but we treat them as a standard rule now. It's the only way we've found to be able to really get deep in the tech trees. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

Thanks for taking the time to put the poll together. Up here in North London we've been playing 2 and 3 player games since December, using only the original, second printing GMT version. My main comment would be that we have only ever used the instant upgrade tech rule. This is to cut down on bookkeeping and to speed things along. Space Empires has been the answer to our needs for a fairly quick but multifaceted game. having played classic 4x computer games like Galactic Civs, we always wanted a board game of something similar. No plans to get any of the expantions at the moment, because we don't want to slow things down, although being open-minded (I hope!)I'll keep an eye on the Variants forum.

That said, our 3 player on Superbowl Sunday started at 5pm and ended at 10.45... is this a normal time frame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Apollo Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Edward Sexby wrote:
Hey there,

Thanks for taking the time to put the poll together. Up here in North London we've been playing 2 and 3 player games since December, using only the original, second printing GMT version. My main comment would be that we have only ever used the instant upgrade tech rule. This is to cut down on bookkeeping and to speed things along. Space Empires has been the answer to our needs for a fairly quick but multifaceted game. having played classic 4x computer games like Galactic Civs, we always wanted a board game of something similar. No plans to get any of the expantions at the moment, because we don't want to slow things down, although being open-minded (I hope!)I'll keep an eye on the Variants forum.

That said, our 3 player on Superbowl Sunday started at 5pm and ended at 10.45... is this a normal time frame?

Edward, firstly I can't suggest enough how you should switch away from Instant Upgrades. It's great for learning the game, but the strategy and depth in this game really come out with normal research rules. The book-keeping is minor, like 3rd grade math kinda stuff. It doesn't bog the game down at all, IMO.

It took a while this time, yes, in my experience a 2 P game played with pretty much all the rules and expansion rules takes about 2-2.5 hours with players that know what they are doing.

I suggest trying to play with 2 "factions" if you play with 3 players. 2 vs 1. The "1" player should get some advantages as per the base game scenario book. However, the 2v1 game is really great when you play it with the Close Encounters expansion. There the "1" guy gets a bunch of Empire Advantage (racial abilities) to pick from that lead to some interesting twists.

Be aggressive, it shortens the game as well.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vena
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wonder if this needs an update to show what people are using from Reps? Also, didn't see Reaction Movement as an option in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dzafovic
Canada
Halifax
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the base set, so only selected poll options from that rules set.

I'd love to incorporate reaction movement in a game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.