Popular Tags: [View All]
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any comparisons ?

I've played Love letter and find it excellent with 4.

Just ordered One night at Werewolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played LL and Mascarade (though am looking at both of the others).

M is a much more chaotic game. An obvious difference is that it is not hard to lose track of what your own card is - whereas that is information you will always have in LL. LL also has elimination.

We like both but LL comes out more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sherriff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have One Night Werewolf, Coup and Mascarade. Of these Mascarade is the most popular with my game group followed by Coup. Although since I managed to get hold of the Reformation expansion I think Coup may soon move into the lead.

Regarding game play, Coup is more structured and can even become deterministic in the end game depending upon how people play. The Reformation rules significantly expand options however I highly recommend you try them out (if you have the new style Resistance Coup you can get Reformation cards here).

Many people find Mascarade too chaotic, it definitely requires you to adjust your strategy on the fly as roles switch vs Coup where your starting hand is the main factor.

Another game you can compare it to is Saboteur which I also recommend (especially the "epic" variant) as a similar length bluffing game.

So I would say Mascarade is sufficiently different to own as well as Coup or Love Letter and you shouldn't listen to anyone who declares one is definitively superior to the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral

Argentona, Barcelona, Catalonia
msg tools
mb
You should not listen to me because I will say that Mascarade is definitely better than Love letter. After you have played Love letter for a while it loses a bit of interest because it is always the same. In Mascarade you can play with different characters in each game so that it is never the same. Love letter has elimination, Mascarade has not (except if you choose to play with the dammed card the Damned). In Mascarade you have to take decisions, in Love letter decisions are taken for you by the cards. I think Mascarade is definitely the spiel des jares, while love letter is popular because it's cute, cheap, instant to learn, fast to play, and easy to carry around.

Regarding the art, you can compare both kings:
http://www.alderac.com/tempest/files/2012/09/Love_Letter_Car...
http://toysdontcry.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/W_MG_2723....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is entitled to like what they want, but I don't believe the post is entirely accurate. I believe Mascarade dictates what cards are used by the number of players. So if you're playing with the same number, the game can feel the same more often than Love Letter will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral

Argentona, Barcelona, Catalonia
msg tools
mb
rickert wrote:
Everyone is entitled to like what they want, but I don't believe the post is entirely accurate. I believe Mascarade dictates what cards are used by the number of players. So if you're playing with the same number, the game can feel the same more often than Love Letter will.

That's not accurate: the rules booklet of Mascarade allow you to choose whatever characters you want provided that there is always the judge and characters that bring money into the game. The pre-sets are recommended.
And, according to Bruno Faidutti, there will possibly be an expansion.

In Love letter you have no choice but to use all the characters in every game and I have heard no news about expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
salva wrote:
rickert wrote:

That's not accurate: the rules booklet of Mascarade allow you to choose whatever characters you want provided that there is always the judge and characters that bring money into the game. The pre-sets are recommended.
And, according to Bruno Faidutti, there will possibly be an expansion.

In Love letter you have no choice but to use all the characters in every game and I have heard no news about expansions.

That's not accurate either. In Love Letter 1 or more cards are not used in each game and as the game unfolds you don't know know what that card or cards might be. Sounds like you don't care for LL and as a result haven't played it much.

As for Mascarade, it is true there is a bit of flexibility, but there is a group of cards that each game must include some of a card that has to be included and some that can't be included unless there are 8 or more players. So the variety isn't exactly what you present either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks , I'm still confused

On serious note , it seems for 4+ it would be an interesting option to try against Werewolf with revolving characters.

If only I could grab hold of the game from somewhere , it's sold out everywhere !soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
prashantmaheshwari wrote:

On serious note , it seems for 4+ it would be an interesting option to try against Werewolf with revolving characters.

If only I could grab hold of the game from somewhere , it's sold out everywhere !soblue

It's sold out, but back in stores early March.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:
prashantmaheshwari wrote:

It's sold out, but back in stores early March.

Staying in India , it takes up to 45 days to get a game delivered sometimes. So I will only get to play in Mid April/Maycry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I managed to pick it up from Spain from a flgs store. Holy shit 17 euros shake (still cheaper for me than ordering online though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls