Subject: Avoiding accidental Rule-Breaking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
In my experience, the easiest way to accidentally break a rule, is forgetting to advance the Clock. There's a lot more you may miss (e.g. forgetting about Terror-Effects I find way too easy), which might make the game seem easier than it actually is. Here's a couple of things I do, in order to ensure valid gameplay:

- When drawing a Mythos-Card ...
When it's lingering effect forbids the use of Common Items or Clues or something else, I always flip respective cards facedown, and put Clues on the Investigator Card.

- When it's Midnight, I always check the following things in order
1.) Check for Midnight Effects and resolve them
2.) Look for the bottom part of the most recently drawn Mythos-Card, if there are any additional effects to resolve, or a lingering effect ends. In the latter case, I flip over any facedown cards and/or take any Clues lying on my Investigator cards
3.) Draw a new Mythos card and resolve it.

- When I've succesfully resolved an Adventure ...
1. I put my Investigator-Token back on the Souvenir-Shop
2. I put the resolved Card on the Clock, including defeated monsters.
3. I replace the just resolved card (some allow Monsters to appear on the new card as they are drawn - now's the time to do that)
4. Then I collect the rewards in order, as they are written on the card: first I look at the topside of the card, if there's any Reward-Effects and resolve them. Then I collect the regular rewards in order. This way, I don't forget to place any monsters, which would appear as a reward.
5. As I finally collect the Adventure (which is still lying on the clock), I advance it.
6. Then I immediately look at any collected Monsters, as some of them have instructions on their backside.

- When I buy something at the Entrance
I always put my Investigator-Token on the clock. This way I'm easily reminded to advance it, when I'm done and ready to move to another Adventure.

Now there's still the issue with me sometimes forgetting about Terror-Effects or to discard a Blessing, once I've failed an Adventure. But I'm getting better at this, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ideas. It's real easy (for me anyway) to forget to advance that damn clock!

- zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collecting rewards in the order they appear in is an interesting notion, and if it's not in the official rules, it should be, as that could make a strategic difference.

If summoning a monster appears last, it's not the same order of priority if it appears first. This can impact your decision of said monster placement based on its characteristics, and the rewards you gain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Germany
Attendorn
flag msg tools
mb
We always play with Random Monster Placement, so no change here, but if you don't, I can see how it might change things. But recently I noticed, that it's actually best to lay out Other World rewards first, because only then additional Monsters may appear there, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls