Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
has anyone jotted down which supply planets seem to be the most productive in providing (fro example) crew? weapons? ship upgrades? etc...if so, would you mind posting here? thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what we've seen:

Osiris, shockingly, does ship upgrades/alliance crew/things dealing with medics. Mostly upgrades and medics. No guns here, though there are some fake ids, etc.

Silverhold: Guns, explosives, hill folk, and some random jazz.

Regina: Kind of everything. Some guns, some ship upgrades, some crew, and some gear.

Space Bazaar: Mostly crew/gear. No ship upgrades I want to say (?)

Persephone: A bit of everything, but mostly crew and gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Imperium - coming sometime
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look in the files section - there are a couple of reference sheets there that do what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bucklen_uk wrote:
Take a look in the files section - there are a couple of reference sheets there that do what you want.
I've seen the 2 files; was hoping for something that listed which planets best for finding crew with "tech skill", which planets best when needing to add crew with "fight skill", etc...these lists list the official name of the card, but if I'm handing out to new players they wouldn't help much...

new players ask "where should I go, I need crew with the negotiate skill, or fight skill, etc."...and other than looking through the open discard pile I really don't know how to direct them...obv a lot would be luck of the draw when you get there anyhow, but for a rather easy/simple game there is a lot going on (piles and piles of cards), and I was hoping to have a small "aid" to hand out to new players that might at least help them locate their best chance(s) for finding what they need...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Marti
Switzerland
Riedholz
Solothurn
flag msg tools
Super Trooper, I said!
badge
Waaagh
mbmbmbmbmb
The box lid will help new players as well (thematic description of the planets)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murks666 wrote:
The box lid will help new players as well (thematic description of the planets)
damn...I through my box away...(needed something a little bigger for my "pimped ships", etc...was that inside the lid, or on the outside of the box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was on the outside of the bottom half of the box.

I did a general overview of the Supply Planets in my guide aka. The Starter's Guide. Which is also soon to go online (finally!)

It's right near the end, but to the best of my recollection something along the lines of:
Osiris: Legal-oriented Ship Upgrades and Crew, Medics.
Persephone: Assortment of things. Fair few mercs. A few grifters, too?
Regina: Illegal-oriented Ship Upgrades, Assorted things.
Silverhold: Guns, Explosives, Soldiers, Hill Folk
Space Bazaar: Assortment of things. Best place for a pilot (only place without Breakin' Atmo expansion?). A few grifters, too?

To get a more skill point-style breakdown, you'd probably have to formulate something based off the actual lists.

Tech skill is probably mostly found on Osiris, but a lot of things across Persephone, Regina and Space Bazaar as well?

Fight skill points is most definitely Silverhold, with other things around Persephone and Regina.

As I recall, Negotiate Skill is trickier to come by in comparison. Inara is a 3-pointer (with re-roll) on Osiris, and Persephone probably has a few things (possibly Space Bazaar, too), I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did a sortable spreadsheet that you can find in the Files section it's very helpful for trying to understand what's where. If you're familiar with Excel you can, for example, filter where all the Mechanics are, or where all the Crew with 1-2 Negotiate are, in about 3 seconds.

Some specifics:

Persephone, I think, is the best place for Tech. Most of the Mechanics are there, as well as Simon. However the BEST Mechanic (Kaylee) is on Regina (along with Bester, who is a pretty lousy Mechanic).

The Space Bazaar offers the majority of Pilots, all of whom come with at least one Tech.

Osiris now has 2 Pilots (both Helmsmen), and also a number of Med Staff who have Tech but aren't as good as Simon. Still, better than nothing.

If you're looking for Fighters, Silverhold is where you want to go, hands down. Best Fighters and Fight-centric gear. However, Regina ALSO has some decent Fighters.

Talkers are spread all over the place. I don't think there's a high concentration of them anywhere, although Osiris has the best Talker (Inara) as well as a decent "back-up" (one of the Saffrons... I forget which). With the introduction of Break Atmo, I think Persephone and The Space Bazaar have a slight advantage for Talkers.

Planet by planet:

PERSEPHONE: I consider Persephone a good "starting planet." Great range of gear and a good selection of Crew. A lot of Tech and probably the highest concentration of Talk in the game. If you want Mechanics come here, and while you're at it, if you're lucky, you'll stumble across the Tams or Shepherd Book. Fighters here are a little sub-standard, but easy to find.

THE SPACE BAZAAR: Almost as good as Persephone with respect to variety. If you want a Pilot, here's where you want to be, hands down. Hope for Wash -- settle for Jesse or a Scrapper. Another great "starting planet."

SILVERHOLD: Mercs, guns, and Soldiers. The highest concentration of Fight in the game, and a great port for Corbin to visit. Ironically, there are also a few good Talkers here (one of the Saffrons and Elder Gommen, who I would argue is the 2nd best Talker in the game after Inara). Need Tech? DON'T come here.

OSIRIS: Osiris has a very specific focus, especially pre-Breakin' Atmo: ship upgrades, Companion-type Talkers, and Medics who aren't Simon Tam. If you're looking for anything other than those three things, best look elswhere.

REGINA: Of all planets, Regina is the strangest to me. It sort of has a mix like Persephone and the Space Bazaar, but not quite as versatile in my opinion. It DOES have most of the illegal-type ship upgrades. Some good Fighters, but not as great a selection as Silverhold. If you're not quite sure what you want, Regina is probably a good place to spend your money, but don't get caught up in fishing for Kaylee -- you can spend too long pursuing that girl while other players are winning the game!

On ship upgrades:

This one is very straightforward:

Crybabies at Persephone and Space Bazaar.

Legal mods on Osiris.

Illegal mods on Regina.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HotHeart wrote:
It was on the outside of the bottom half of the box.

I did a general overview of the Supply Planets in my guide aka. The Starter's Guide. Which is also soon to go online (finally!)

It's right near the end, but to the best of my recollection something along the lines of:
Osiris: Legal-oriented Ship Upgrades and Crew, Medics.
Persephone: Assortment of things. Fair few mercs. A few grifters, too?
Regina: Illegal-oriented Ship Upgrades, Hill Folk
Silverhold: Guns, Explosives, Soldiers
Space Bazaar: Assortment of things. Best place for a pilot (only place without Breakin' Atmo expansion?). A few grifters, too?

To get a more skill point-style breakdown, you'd probably have to formulate something based off the actual lists.

Tech skill is probably mostly found on Osiris, but a lot of things across Persephone, Regina and Space Bazaar as well?

Fight skill points is most definitely Silverhold, with other things around Persephone and Regina.

As I recall, Negotiate Skill is trickier to come by in comparison. Inara is a 3-pointer (with re-roll) on Osiris, and Persephone probably has a few things (possibly Space Bazaar, too), I think.

You said it in fewer words than I did. Hill Folk on are Silverhold, not Regina... although I forgot about them entirely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwek wrote:
You said it in fewer words than I did.
Ah, but you were more accurate.

I tend to get Regina and Silverhold mixed up in my head, since they are 'disreputable' border planets.

Also, seeing as they cover illegal activities (and count as upgrades), I believe Cry Babies can also be found on Regina.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I always forget about that one.

2 Cry Babies each at Persphone and the Space Bazaar, 1 at Regina.

Which brings up an interesting issue... Even beyond what's at each Supply Planet, it's useful to now what the changes of getting it at.

For example, Kaylee is the best Mechanic in the game, but she's just 1 card, so there's a 1-in-30 chance that each card you draw from the Regina deck is Kaylee. Throw in Bester and you have a 1-in-15 chance of flipping a Mechanic.

On the other hand, there are 5 Mechanics at Persephone, so each card is a 1-in-6 chance. Sure, none of them are nearly as good as Kaylee, but if you're just looking to fill the seat, your chances are MUCH better at Persephone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls