Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
The Employer bonus tile came up in a game played yesterday.

Our four players could not decide whether "Fewest 2x" meant fewest investments played or fewest investments not played.

The term "Employer" didn't help since we couldn't conclude that Employing was the opposite of Investing, though I suppose if the intent was to Invest more then the bonus might better be called "Investor."

Of course, if the tile had come up publicly we would have just agreed ahead of time which way to go and it would have been fair. As it turned out, of course, it was a private bonus. Thankfully, it wasn't a difference-maker and the group was a friendly one so we gave the player the bonus the way he interpreted and played it. My feeling was that either direction was equally difficult, and I assumed he would have achieved the opposite if he'd tried for that.

At this point, we'd just like to know the right answer for the future. Thoughts from the geeks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Far from a definitive answer, but most bonus-things relate to what is rather than what is not so I'd go with 'fewest played' in that the bonus is for restricting your use of the benefit of investments not for maximising your use of those benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owain B
United Kingdom
Corbridge
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the tile manifest sheet (under all the Goal tiles), it says "only the Investment Markers played in a player's borough count towards that goal." Seems pretty clear to me that Employer means the fewest Investment Markers played in a player's borough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have also played fewest played though agree the rules could have been more definitive. I took it that Employer referred to building a lot of buildings rather than doubling up existing ones which presumably woudl employ less people. Also a more challenging thing to do.

Edit: Also iOS app plays as fewest played. Came up this weekend and I tied with bot that also played zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all for your replies. Seems like the consensus is that fewest investment markers played is the intent of the bonus.

p.s. I'm especially grateful given that I appear to have screwed up and posted to Suburbia, Inc. rather than the base game. I thought I was being careful there, but obviously not. If anybody knows how to move it over please feel free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well - same rule applies in both cases

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.