Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Fabric recommendations for gaming table rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that felt is the preferred fabric of choice for gaming tables. Is the main reason for this because cards slide nicely across to make dealing easier?

I was at Hancock Fabrics this weekend and they had a good selection of upholstery fabric on clearance for the same price or cheaper (starting at $5 per yard) as their felt. I thought some of them would look nicer than the standard field of green or red felt. I also think it wouldn’t pill either.

Has anybody ever used something other than felt?
What are the pros and cons of using different materials?

Thanks in advance!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Neoprene. I love it. If I ever needed to get it again I might get it a little thinner at 3mm.

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
SPBTooL wrote:
Neoprene. I love it. If I ever needed to get it again I might get it a little thinner at 3mm.

Nice. When hell freezes over, and I someday get the chance to build a table, that's what I wanted to use as the play surface as well. When you first had it, did you have any problems with it having a strong smell or anything like that?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:

What are the pros and cons of using different materials?

Fabric:
Pros:
- cheap
- available in various colors (for example green for playing poker)
- easily storable
- cards slide nicely

Cons:
- may feel a bit cheap
- not very water resistant


Neoprene:
Pros:
-see the video
- water resistant (?)

Cons:
- probably more expensive
- black


Professional gaming mats:
Pros:
- see adverts ()
- water resistant (?)

Cons:
- expensive
- not storable as easily as fabric

To be expanded...

I think, it is basically up to your personal haptical preference and your wallett. And the usage: miniatures/dice/cards/...? What do you mostly use it for?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Traken wrote:
SPBTooL wrote:
Neoprene. I love it. If I ever needed to get it again I might get it a little thinner at 3mm.

Nice. When hell freezes over, and I someday get the chance to build a table, that's what I wanted to use as the play surface as well. When you first had it, did you have any problems with it having a strong smell or anything like that?

It did have a strong smell at first that was mostly gone after airing out for a few days.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
smithlucas wrote:
fortyfive wrote:

What are the pros and cons of using different materials?

Neoprene:
Pros:
-see the video
- water resistant (?) Yes. I guess the nylon cloth layer could stain though.

Cons:
- probably more expensive Yes but I got the one in the video as a 50" x 80" sheet for around $62 with free shipping. For the price of a new game I got an accessory that made every game better and some nice mouse pads. The 3mm is about $15 cheaper.

- black There are other color options available at a cost.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with felt and it pilled up very quickly.

Replaced it with velveteen and it has lasted 10 years. It's been a great looking, great performing surface that was easy on the budget.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the quick suggestions. I had initially ruled out neoprene, because I thought it would probably be to expensive. I could be wrong. I'm planning on building a top that I will put on the dining room table. The table is about 45" X 100". Where is a good source to look at neoprene pricing? EDIT: I can see the embedded video, but can't go to the full youtube.com at work. I will check that when I get home.

I'll be playing board, card, and dice games. No miniatures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like sheepskin. It really sets the mood for playing boardgames.

We seem to play a disproportionate amount of Settlers.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
Thanks for all the quick suggestions. I had initially ruled out neoprene, because I thought it would probably be to expensive. I could be wrong. I'm planning on building a top that I will put on the dining room table. The table is about 45" X 100". Where is a good source to look at neoprene pricing? EDIT: I can see the embedded video, but can't go to the full youtube.com at work. I will check that when I get home.

I'll be playing board, card, and dice games. No miniatures.

Here is the link for where I got it from. I used them because they do free shipping and had some of the best prices.
Finding something for the 100" is going to be harder to find in neoprene. You might be better off going with something else or get the naked neoprene to use under another material.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Horvath
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
Thanks for all the quick suggestions. I had initially ruled out neoprene, because I thought it would probably be to expensive. I could be wrong. I'm planning on building a top that I will put on the dining room table. The table is about 45" X 100". Where is a good source to look at neoprene pricing? EDIT: I can see the embedded video, but can't go to the full youtube.com at work. I will check that when I get home.

I'll be playing board, card, and dice games. No miniatures.

Looks like they come in sheets of 51" x 83". Here is the link to the site that Sean posted in his Youtube comments:

http://store.hookloopoutlet.com/neoprene-sheets.html

Surprised at the color selection and honestly the price. Not that bad IMO.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Horvath
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha. Beat me by a min. Sorry for the double posting.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the links.
Sean what material did you get for the underside? The video looks like it's the smooth rubber.

You have made me reconsider neoprene. I was going to do 2 MDF boards and wrap them in batting and fabric, but this price isn't bad. I could possibly do 1 sheet, or if I really wanted to cover the entire table 2 sheets butted up against each other could work. My fabric wrapped MDF boards would be like that anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fortyfive wrote:
Thanks for the links.
Sean what material did you get for the underside? The video looks like it's the smooth rubber.

You have made me reconsider neoprene. I was going to do 2 MDF boards and wrap them in batting and fabric, but this price isn't bad. I could possibly do 1 sheet, or if I really wanted to cover the entire table 2 sheets butted up against each other could work. My fabric wrapped MDF boards would be like that anyway.

There is a seam tape you can get.

The one I did was:
D. Nylon / Smooth Skin - One side is laminated with black Nylon jersey fabric, and the other side is a smooth rubber skin.

one thing to note is the edges of my sheet were not perfect. One edge got slightly thinner within an inch or so from the edge and another edge didn't have the nylon bonded completely about a centimeter in. I believe it is common do to the manufacturing process so you should expect to have to trip it at least a little. Mine was a 2mm and 3mm bonded together to get to the 5mm. so I don't think the thinning issue would show up in a piece that is a native thickness..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not use felt. If you go with fabric, what you want is worsted wool, which is what is used for good pool table covers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
/|\ Roland /|\
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/195458 all the way baby...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woody Taylor
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
Neoprene. I love it. If I ever needed to get it again I might get it a little thinner at 3mm.

Thanks for the information! I ordered the Jersey / Nylon in 3mm. Really nice stuff. Just hope it holds up well, because it looks and feels great. Here it is on my Frankentable:





2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls