Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you do an Undeploy action to get a worker to your resource area? Wouldn't you always be better off moving from one card to another?

What is the strategic benefit of the Undeploy action?

Edited: Undeploy NOT an action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Will play almost everything. Unless i hate it ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking your workers off the board isn't an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Penticton
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
Why would you do an Undeploy action to get a worker to your resource area? Wouldn't you always be better off moving from one card to another?

You can undeploy any time during your own turn for free. Maybe you dont have enough coal remaining to redeploy that military unit, but it looks like you dont need the military this turn and you dont want to pay the upkeep on him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Petdoc wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

You can undeploy any time during your own turn for free. Maybe you dont have enough coal remaining to redeploy that military unit, but it looks like you dont need the military this turn and you dont want to pay the upkeep on him.

Best use is undeploying all your military on the turn you buy a war. Sets it to zero and you don't have to upkeep the units. Reemploy them later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Petdoc wrote:

Good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Penticton
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
Petdoc wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

Best use is undeploying all your military on the turn you buy a war. Sets it to zero and you don't have to upkeep the units. Reemploy them later.

Ooh, I like that one. I've only solo'd so far (about 5 times since I got the game last week - yes I'm enjoying it that much), so I appreciate hearing some of these strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
badge
1565, St Elmo's Pay - October 2019 Kickstarter
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also military up to grab a colony, then pull them back down into 'regular' workers before the turn ends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
Petdoc wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

Just make sure you undeploy them before buying the war. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
Wouldn't you always be better off moving from one card to another?

First of all, like someone has noted above, undeploying a meeple is not an action.

Why to do that?

- it can be too expensive to keep your army. When you're done with buying the colony or battle, you can disband your army and not pay the upkeep. If there's no war coming this round, it's usually a good decision.

Actually, you can move a meeple form one card to another, but you just have to remember to pay the costs of deploying a worker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry for the confusion, I knew it was not an action. I will edit this to avoid confusion for others.

I really like the thematic consistency of undeploying military to save the upkeep costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
McJarvis wrote:
dlhammond wrote:
Petdoc wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

Just make sure you undeploy them before buying the war. ninja

Never thought about that way of using wars... Sounds nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Choy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't "move workers from one card to another", per se. In order to deploy a worker on a different building/military card it must be first undeployed from it's current building/military card.

The reason for this distinction that certain advisors and wonders are discarded for having the "least" military or stability. While undeploying a worker to move it to another building, if you are tied for least while the worker is undeployed then you lose the advisor/wonder. This can happen when transferring from one military card to another or from one stability card to another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:

What is the value in setting your war to zero? You want it to be high to hurt weaker nations, don't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Lau
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogMcK wrote:
dlhammond wrote:

What is the value in setting your war to zero? You want it to be high to hurt weaker nations, don't you?

Because there are situations where you want to move the military meeples to work at other buildings anyway. But if you do just that, other players might buy War and you will get hurt. Buying a War with this arrangement is a defensive play and you can place your meeples on those buildings later and no need to worry about losing a War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger McKay
Canada
Bedford
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErwinLau wrote:

Because there are situations where you want to move the military meeples to work at other buildings anyway. But if you do just that, other players might buy War and you will get hurt. Buying a War with this arrangement is a defensive play and you can place your meeples on those buildings later and no need to worry about losing a War.
I see. Makes sense. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Plushchevsky
Ukraine
flag msg tools
dlhammond wrote:
Petdoc wrote:
atsgamer wrote:

But in this case you'll lose you first move position for the next round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son did this to us repeatedly in a game the other day (underlying military and then buying War).....and we let him! Arrrgh. If an opponent does not have a lot of military and you do, choose the war. Alternatively, you can do this "0 war" strategy, but it depends a lot on the turn order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also note that undeploying a worker CAN result in costs to you especially if that worker was contributing stability or military (although they have upkeep). You lose both the military value of the worker and the stability they were providing immediately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls