Nicoleta S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! My name is Nicoleta Stavarache, I am a freelance Illustrator/Concept Artist and currently looking for freelance work.

My portfolio: http://nicoletastavarache.blogspot.com
You can contact me at: nika_wong@yahoo.com

Specialties include : Book Covers, Rpg Cards, Character design, Creature design, Environment (Matte painting), Promotional illustration

I look forward to hearing from you!
Nicoleta

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicoleta S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 2d artist available for COMMISSIONS!
Available for work!

Portofolio: http://lavam00.deviantart.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Brown
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicoleta S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Malcolm!

Still available for new projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Brown
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
A vampire-angel, such a contrasting theme. Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicoleta S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am open for commissions.
PayPal only!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nika,

I just sent you a note via e-mail...please let me know if you're interested in joining our team.

Cheers,
Joe
Game Developer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicoleta S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently taking commissions!
Feel free to contact me: nika_wong@yahoo.com
Portofolio: http://nicoletastavarache.blogspot.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Nika00 wrote:
Portofolio: http://nicoletastavarache.blogspot.com

Love your work here Nicoleta, really lush.

I may have something later this year or next for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicoleta S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Kim!
I'm looking forward to collaborating with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicoleta S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark m
msg tools
Please review this and see if this is something that you could help with.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19317150#19317150
thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicoleta S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your work. Please consider this project: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/19688625 Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicoleta S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Benckert
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just a word of advice for anyone considering hiring this person.

I corresponded with them over the past 48 hours about doing work for my game, talking about prices, art style, etc. I told her I wanted a sample of work, which I was willing to pay for. I have an image I took of myself that I've been sending to artists, giving instructions on how I'd like it drawn, and comparing the results. We spoke about licensing and she said that she just wants to retain the right to use the image for self promotion.

My reply? "If you do a bulk of the work I have no problem putting your name on the box cover, Art by Nicoleta S"!

The email reply was that she did not want her name on the box, nor the website, nor the cards. What? What artist does NOT want the work attributed to them?

Then I get the sample image back. Which is sort of like what I asked for, but not really. The pose is not only completely wrong, but it's odd, a stance no one would ever naturally make. I google image search for it - nothing. Ok, maybe she did do it.

Then I think to check the jpeg metadata. It was made on April 14th, 2015. And before someone comes to a defense with "Well maybe she misunderstood and sent something similar instead" in the reply she sent me: (When I sent her the pic I apologized for the poor lighting, hence the comment about quality)

Quote:
Hy Ed.

Attached you'll find the trading card illustration in low-resolution.

Yes the picture that you've sent doesn't have the best quality, but I hope I've caught the character.

She never did the work. No, I did not pay her yet, thank god, but she told me I could pay her for that one when we did the contract for the rest.

I'll admit I'm new to the world of hiring illustrators, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume lying to a client and showing past work and saying it's custom it not Ok. Someone else may have paid for that and hold the copyright. I print that image, I run the risk of being sued.

Just use caution when dealing with Nicoleta.

I'm sorry if this post is in bad form, but in the areas of business I AM well versed in, people want to know about these things, and I did not know where else to put it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicoleta S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hy Ed.

Thank you for your post and impression. I'd like to keep it up here as is!

However I do feel the need to clarify a couple of things.
For my own sake... considering since this is a place for my and my work.

It does not really matter if you say that "YOU ARE" well versed in. You may claim whatever you want. But the truth is plain simple. Because it is that simple it may take a while to sink in.

The transfer of the copyright has to be done in writing. Singed. At least by the current owner of the copyright.

If you "received" as you claim some old work I did for someone else... that would be just ludicrous... nothing more. That would enable you AND the other client to sue me for all that its worth.

NO ONE in their right minds would sell the copyright (besides the fact that it's not possible) to two or more different parties. No author. No musician.
Just no one... Even more so in a time when you can research easily on the web, especially pictures using google.

The work you've received was unique. To your specifications. Which
were quite inadequate. That doesn't pose a problem in itself with a paying customer.
In that case you can spend a little more time with the client working out the details... You provided a picture... somewhat.. in low quality.. of what it should somewhat look like.

Quite honestly (and I do not want to offend you) but what exactly did you expect in terms of quality? Paying nothing. Paying something at the end, if (and only if) we was going to move forward. Me not having the time to work the piece... and you requesting some sort of "test" to see the work so you can make up your mind. You're not the only one requesting it this way... and you won't be the last. But I usually refuse right away.

As for credit, I've stated that I only reserve the rights for self promotion.
It was a courtesy on my part. I've done trading cards before, with different clients on different projects. It's not as common as you think that every trading card shall have the artist's name on it.... Quite the opposite is true. Buy "magic the gathering" for instance (picked this example because it should be known)... no artist's or artist's group... or producer's name... only the company itself...

At least it's not as common as you might think.. that was my point I guess.

However this went wrong in a couple of different ways. It may have been
very well due to miscommunication...

I hope you'll find the artist you'll looking for, and as a parting gift,
if you'd have it, take the advice that I've tried to provide...
x) Be as specific as possible.
x) Don't expect to much for an "exhibition piece" which might not even be paid for
x) Expect to see heavy usage of templates (even personal ones)
x) Don't put any personal name on any card. At all... Not even yours..
maybe the company's name.. or the game itself.... but no personal names.

And no one in their right mind would sign his or her name on a transfer
of copyright to more than one owner... this does not apply only to artists.

Best of wishes and I would like to see you project succeed and take of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Benckert
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have two comments on the above before I bow out of this conversation.

First, when I asked for a sample I told you I would pay for it. In your above reply you keep stating things like if I were a paying customer, and what do you expect "paying nothing". I WAS a paying customer. Until you decided to charge me for it later. Which, in reality, still makes me a paying customer. So trying to write off my disappointment with the result as my fault because I wanted a 'free' sample is extremely disingenuous.

The simple fact is you ignored every bit of direction I gave you. I told you camo pants and combat boots - I got a waist up illustration. I told you a rifle or shotgun, you drew an automatic weapon. I said to remove the logo from the t-shirt and "do a skull or something appropriately badass" (Yes I was allowing for creative freedom there) and I got an illustration where the character was sleeveless and wearing some sort of combat vest, and his arm crossed in front of him obscuring the chest anyway. (Absolutely nothing even remotely resembling the pose I sent)

Second, as for "Don't put any personal name on any card. At all... Not even yours.." - quite frankly, I'm baffled by that statement. Apparently Wizards of the Coast, Rio Grand Games, AEG, Steve Jackson games, etc etc have got it all wrong?

All I was saying is I don't understand your insistence that you not be credited for any work you do. Thats not only odd, it was the first thing that led me to think something just wasn't right.

Regardless, everyone will make their own decision on who they hire. No one ever hands out negative references. Just stating my experience here so people can make up their own minds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Brown
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
Congratulations for your commission with Robert Burke Games! I like what I am seeing on Facebook. Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman L.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
every Magic the Gathering card has the artist's name published on the bottom. Every card image on WoTC/MTG website database credits the artist who illustrated it. Wizards of the Coast (who owns and publishes Magic the Gathering) do an excellent job of promoting their artist talent. There is no 'by line' because every card art has a unique artist, its not just one person who does the art for the whole game- your argument makes no sense and clearly shows a lack of understanding of the product. Wizards of the coast buys and owns the rights to the art, period. They don't have to acknowledge their artists, but they do because it benefits both themselves and their artists careers. As a result they allow artists limited rights by means of prints for personal/non-commercial sale and the sale of original artworks (drawings and paintings).

There is more than one kind of copyright/rights contract between artist and client- perhaps you should do more research instead of assuming every company's contract/rights agreement works the same way and believing that the ownership of rights is 'all or nothing.' If you were weary of doing a sample for Ed and its legal use then its your responsibility to propose a contract that establishes the legal rights of use for that particular sample image, not his.

Based on what Ed has said about your lack of following directions its pretty clear who is in the wrong here. I hope you learn from this and take every job with equal significance regardless of pay/sample/etc. If you don't care enough to do your best on an 'exhibition piece' in hopes of landing a client then there's no reason to believe you would even care about working on the project in the first place other than to make a little pocket money, and to me that just says 'don't hire that person. Ever.'

Your lack of interest in getting artist credits for Ed's game clearly supports that feeling as if you wouldn't want your name to be associated with the work just in case its sub-par or even worse, copyrighted elsewhere. Any true, successful, quality illustrator who does their absolute best regardless of pay rate knows and understands that any promotion is good promotion and is what often leads to your next job. If you don't want your name on it then it only leads me to believe you don't want to take credit for any work because its either half assed or contains copyrighted images that you don't want to take legal responsibility for. Think about it.

This isn't meant as an attack on character of any sorts, consider it more of a 'reality check.' good luck on your future endeavors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicoleta S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Malcolm, I’m kind honored to be a part of this project “Doppelgänger”.

Thank you for advice N L ! I'm glad you wrote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.