Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jusr got planet steam, and I'm wanting to temper it by adding a new release family style euro. Somewhere between ttr and waterdeep in complexity but with a euro feel. Something like Livingstone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
Jusr got planet steam, and I'm wanting to temper it by adding a new release family style euro. Somewhere between ttr and waterdeep in complexity but with a euro feel. Something like Livingstone.

Relic Runners is worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Stevenson
United States
Johnson Creek
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Chris, I recently got back into gaming and haven't yet played Waterdeep, Planet Steam, or Livingstone, but I think you would get some enjoyment out of Firenze. It's a low-impact and relaxing Euro with very little take-that elements. The rules are easy to grasp, the components are very attractive, and the theme of building towers is pretty fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kocur
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asara is a great family Euro. It even won family game award
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prosperity

Released last fall. Players are developing their cities decade by decade from 1970 to 2030: investing in research; profitting from exiting capabilities; striking a suitable balance between your power technology and your ecological technologies to suport your strategy; and buying more facilities. The mechanics are intuitive, but the decisions each turn are challenging.

2.5 pages of rules, and about half of those pages are illustrations.

Great artwork.

Plays 2-4.

Takes about an hour to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i would take a look at:

Sun, Sea & Sand

it's that 'new' per se, but came in under the radar of many gamers.
Myself and the groups i've played it with find it to be a nice medium weight game that has such a strong theme that makes it very approachable to families. With enough tough decisions and strategy to keep gamers interested, i find this to be a gem of a gateway game.
-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are exactly what I'm looking for. Especially Firinze and Sun Sea and Sand. Keep 'em coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinque Terre by Rio Grande Games is amazing. I know the name might throw you for a loop but this is the BEST family euro I have ever played. Pick up and deliver style play with plenty of decision making, and some Ticket to Ride thrown in makes for an amazing game. You won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
Came to recommend Firenze so glad that's been mentioned. I think Snowdonia and The Castles of Burgundy could work well too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
checkrazor76 wrote:
Cinque Terre by Rio Grande Games is amazing. I know the name might throw you for a loop but this is the BEST family euro I have ever played. Pick up and deliver style play with plenty of decision making, and some Ticket to Ride thrown in makes for an amazing game. You won't regret it.

I kept on seeing this mentioned but I never looked close at it. I definately will now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
checkrazor76 wrote:

I kept on seeing this mentioned but I never looked close at it. I definately will now!

The Dice Tower has two great reviews on youtube for it. It looked decent but after playing, wow was I surprised. So easy to learn and play with plenty of decision making and strategy. It is by far my biggest surprise ever in a board game. It needs more love in the family euro category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does Cinque Terre compare to Finca? I have finca already so I'm wondering if it will be too close in mechanics and theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
+1 Snowdonia
+1 Firenze
Consider also Survive: Escape from Atlantis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
How does Cinque Terre compare to Finca? I have finca already so I'm wondering if it will be too close in mechanics and theme.

Similar in the fruit pick and deliver department but play very different. The only thing Finca does better is those awesome fruit pieces rather than cubes. But I think Cinque Terre wins in every other aspect. They are different enough to own both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tasty Minstrel Games has the market on these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Prosperity

Released last fall. Players are developing their cities decade by decade from 1970 to 2030: investing in research; profitting from exiting capabilities; striking a suitable balance between your power technology and your ecological technologies to suport your strategy; and buying more facilities. The mechanics are intuitive, but the decisions each turn are challenging and boring.

2.5 pages of rules, and about half of those pages are illustrations.

Great artwork.

Plays 2-4.

Takes about an hour to play.

FTFY

BTW: This game is far too "pondering" and solitaire to be a decent choice for a family. Balancing resources and symbols on a tableau is just not what most consider to be a good family experience. Knizia HAS, however, released several titles in the last couple of years that are perfect for a family setting. Those include Qin, Indigo, Spectaculum, and some others. But I think Prosperity would fall absolutely flat for most families.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chad winters
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
I think Tasty Minstrel Games has the market on these...

They make great games but I believe they are a step above "family" games. Closer to the medium weight than anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take a look at Firenze. Its been out in Europe for a couple of years but has recently made it over to the states. It's about building towers, but you really do get to build towers (really cool wooden blocks that stack). There is also a card drafting mechanic that is fun.

Via Appia also looks like a family friendly euro. It probably won't hold up for repeated plays with more seasoned gamer groups, but it should have some staying power in a family setting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am starting to sound like a broken record these days, but personally one of the best worker placements for me in recent years has been Village. It is such a great game. It is so well balanced and has multiple paths to victory so you are never really out of it till the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have village, and that sucker took me 45 minutes to explain. Not what I'm looking for in this thread, good though it may be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
I have village, and that sucker took me 45 minutes to explain. Not what I'm looking for in this thread, good though it may be.

I find the trick to teaching it is less teaching and more playing. It is one of those games that is easier to teach while playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not new by any means (and may be hard to get these days, I really don't know) but Blue Moon City is very good in this niche.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
While not new, you might want to look at Tobago. Who doesn't like running around an island, looking for buried treasure that everyone has clues for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Fehner
msg tools
Deathstroke wrote:
While not new, you might want to look at Tobago. Who doesn't like running around an island, looking for buried treasure that everyone has clues for?

I've never heard of Tobago but it sounds like a blast. It definitely is on my radar now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia
Firenze
Via Appia
Takenoko
Tokaido
Pergamon
Santiago de Cuba
Yspahan
Metropolys
Finca
Fresco
Stone Age
Kingsburg
Cargo Noir
Rattus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.