Forbidden Desert» Forums » Rules

Subject: Thirstiest player starts? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
F T
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi everybody,
let me thank you all for all the threads I have read so far. I bought this game on Friday and we played, during the week-end, 4 times (we were four, first victory novice, then one defeat and two victories normal). While playing we had a couple of doubts, so I decided to have a look at the forum.

Well, I discovered that we misinterpreted two rules (we allowed a climber to use tunnels in order to move towards tunnel tiles with two sands on it, and we allowed the water carrier to use his power only once per well).

I did not find any reference to "the thirstiest player goes first", page 3 of the manual. We played the first two times interpreting this as "one among the players whose characters carry the smallest amount of water is the first to play", so he starts and plays every 4 turns in a four-players game.

The last two times we played, we interpreted this rule in a bizarre, though fancy way: we chose to consider "the thirstiest player goes first" as referred to mid-game situations. Say the players are A, B, C, D. Then:
A starts (it happens to be the thirstiest), then storm, B, storm, C, storm, D storm.
Now, we look at our canteens. The adventurer who is thirstiest NOW, that is, the one who has less amount of water, starts. Say that B has been beat by the sun, and A has not. Then the new turn will be
B, storm, C, storm, D, storm, A storm.
And so on.

On the one hand, I think that we played correctly in the first two games and not in the last ones. On the other hand, I was wondering whether there is something which I miss, so I am asking you.

We did not take advantage of this possible house-rule during the third game (which was veeeeery tight), but we did in the fourth game (this strategy allowed a solar shield to last more than 4 turns and, basically, we could let some characters act before others).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've always played as if it meant the person playing the game who is the physically the thirstiest goes first (nothing to do with the actual game components or characters). If my brother in law just finished a liter of Coca Cola and I haven't had anything to drink for a few hours, I would go first.

I assumed it was just meant to be fun - nothing serious. Kind of like Ticket to Ride: Europe (whoever has visited the most European countries goes first), Pirate's Cove (whoever has visited an island most recently goes first), shortest player goes first, tallest player goes first, youngest player goes first, oldest player goes first, whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
^^^ this,
just a fun way (like youngest player, or oldest player goes first) to determine who makes the initial play of the game. I don't think turn order would change during the game either.

Of course, house rules can be fun. For instance, suppose the Climber was allowed to use an unblocked tunnel to move to a blocked one, BUT, like a mole or some other digging animal. the tiles on the exit were 'pushed back' and the tunnel he entered was now blocked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
F T
Germany
flag msg tools
Yes, I imagined that when I read, on another thread, "I started because my throat is always dry".

I am not so used to board games in which the starting order is decided "so randomly": I can remember only Munchkin, which let you roll dices and then discuss about who should start, despite of the dices

Ok, good to know. Thanks for your answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read a lot of silly rule interpretations for this game, but this one is the silliest. It's gets a thumbs-up from me. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McIntyre
United States
Grand Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My favorite is Terror in Meeple City: The player who makes the best giant monster impersonation goes first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls